Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2008 9:04:29 PM EDT
Corps wants its Humvees back

By Dan Lamothe - Staff writer
Posted : Saturday Aug 30, 2008 16:20:17 EDT

U.S. officials continue to negotiate the release of five Marine Humvees seized by Russian forces in the Georgian port of Poti during their August assault on the U.S. ally.

The Humvees were taken Aug. 19, said Navy Lt. Cmdr. Corey Barker, a spokesman for U.S. European Command, and they contained no advanced tracking technology or cryptology hardware — a contrast with Russian news reports, which said the vehicles contained sophisticated communications gear and had been sent to Moscow for examination.

The Humvees were in Georgia as part of Operation Immediate Response, a multinational training exercise involving Marine and Army units, Barker said. They were awaiting commercial transport back to the U.S. when they were seized.

The team of Marines in Georgia — primarily assigned to Brooklyn, N.Y.-based 6th Communications Battalion and a Lexington, Ky.-based detachment with 4th Marine Logistics Group’s Military Police Company — were sent to a hotel in the capital, Tbilisi, when the Russian assault began.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#2]
What could they do with a SINCGARS radio, if thats even the current radio anymore?
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The USMC has as a snowball's chance in Hell to get those Humvees back, sad to say...

Hopefully, the memories on those radios should've been erased before this went down.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Those Humvees should've left the country on a boat the moment the Marines took off back to the US.

Or been destroyed in place...

Aside from that. Unless the mother of all fuckups happened, there was nothing of any intelligence value in those hummers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything more modern than the latest Radio Shack walkie talkie is "sophisticated" to the Ruskies.

Oh, and we'll never see those Hummers again.
How many T-Series tanks, Migs and Sukhois do we have?
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The Humvees were taken Aug. 19, said Navy Lt. Cmdr. Corey Barker, a spokesman for U.S. European Command, and they contained no advanced tracking technology or cryptology hardware — a contrast with Russian news reports, which said the vehicles contained sophisticated communications gear and had been sent to Moscow for examination.

Reading comprehension is key. (I trust a US Navy Lt. Cmdr. over Russian journalists.)
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#7]
i called it as a vaild war prize,,   some disagreed  ,

I feel the equipment should of been defended.,

it wasnt ,

it was deemed not worth it at the time,,

it was defend your shit and get in a shooting battle or this.

cooler heads choose this.

and comms has been compromised.  < or maybe just pride..  >

in the original thread people were saying they are just HMMVs   no big deal..   ive been waiting for this to pop up.

not knocking the descicion.   thats done..

and might have been a wise choice. < in the politacl arena    ,mil choice maybe not so wise,>

Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What could they do with a SINCGARS radio, if thats even the current radio anymore?

its a mix of ASIP and MBITRs.

sure the russians think its sophisticated commo gear. compared to their shit its star wars tech.

them getting the radios wont really mean anything, its the ANCD that holds all the keys and loadsets.  ANCD's are sensitive so they would not have been inside a humvee by themselves. They might have access to one single fill and loadset from those asips if anything.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The USMC has as a snowball's chance in Hell to get those Humvees back, sad to say...

Hopefully, the memories on those radios should've been erased before this went down.
They'll probably be driven around Moscow's Ring Road a few hundred times(after chrome and high-gloss paint job have been added).
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sure the russians think its sophisticated commo gear. compared to their shit its star wars tech.

them getting the radios wont really mean anything, its the ANCD that holds all the keys and loadsets.  ANCD's are sensitive so they would not have been inside a humvee by themselves. They might have access to one single fill and loadset from those asips if anything.

Actually, our BNs MBITRs are on the way out.

If they had a Crazy unit that might be a problem, but I doubt that.

S/F
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

and comms has been compromised.

nothing has been compromised.  the radios work on codes that change all the time. They probably werent even filled when the russians took them.  I dont even know if they would have had fills for the excersize at all.

all that happened was some russian got some cool bose headsets.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

S/F

what do you mean on the way out?
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I would say that since they were ready to be loaded for civilian transport that there was nothing on board those Humvees that would impact anything to do with national security.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

S/F

Way out = phased out and replaced slowly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and comms has been compromised.

nothing has been compromised.  the radios work on codes that change all the time. They probably werent even filled when the russians took them.  I dont even know if they would have had fills for the excersize at all.

all that happened was some russian got some cool bose headsets.

i thought about and edited my post ..

Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

S/F

replaced with what?  We just started using them. all units deploying to iraq now are being trained up on them in theater.

i carried an MBITR on me evertime i dismounted in iraq, and used them in 2 of the 3 vehicles i was assigned to without issue.  as long as you have extra batteries to replace them after several months of solid use, and have both long and short whips for them they are perfect.  I would much rather hump an MBITR on patrol than a sincgars manpack.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Commo is not shipped in any millitary vehicle regardless of what you see in the movies.  They are stripped and shipped.

The chance of a vehicle being robbed Expecially since they cant be locked is to high.

The radios were removed.  Nothing was in them except standard BII and 3/4 tank of JP8.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Commo is not shipped in any millitary vehicle regardless of what you see in the movies.  They are stripped and shipped.

The chance of a vehicle being robbed Expecially since they cant be locked is to high.

The radios were removed.  Nothing was in them except standard BII and 3/4 tank of JP8.

i forgot about that.  radios are sensitive as well and travel back with the units arms room.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't be surprised if the Russians tear these vehicles down to the nuts and bolts and copy them to make their own version for use within their own military; heck, they did it with the B-29s they confiscated and came out with the Tu-4 Bull.

We might've just made them a favor considering the jeeps they've been using. Our Humvees might look and feel like Cadillacs compared to the Sapa jeeps they drive.

Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Bastards stole my hummvee.

Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sensitive items like SINCGARS (or MBITR or Harris or ASIP) would have been pulled out before the trucks were left sitting in a foreign port.

Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Don't be surprised if the Russians tear these vehicles down to the nuts and bolts and copy them to make their own version for use within their own military; heck, they did it with the B-29s they confiscated and came out with the Tu-4 Bull.

We might've just made them a favor considering the jeeps they've been using. Our Humvees might look and feel like Cadillacs compared to the Sapa jeeps they drive.

IIRC their Tu-4 Bull only had a fraction of the range our B-29 had. maybe their Humvees will get even worse gas mileage.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I know we've done the same thing with their aircraft. It's all part of the game, not that big of deal. Now if it were of somehing of high value ( Sub, F22, B2, carrier(s) ) Then I think Uncle would want his shit back and would get it back at all costs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Anything more modern than the latest Radio Shack walkie talkie is "sophisticated" to the Ruskies.

Oh, and we'll never see those Hummers again.
How many T-Series tanks, Migs and Sukhois do we have?

this is exactly what I was thinking.

"Hey Ivan, where are the vacume tubes?!?!? Holy mother russia, this is high tech!!!!"

Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I know we've done the same thing with their aircraft. It's all part of the game, not that big of deal. Now if it were of somehing of high value ( Sub, F22, B2, carrier(s) ) Then I think Uncle would want his shit back and would get it back at all costs.

Well, the NorKors still have the USS Pueblo in their possession; you'd figure the US would've sank the boat if they thought any of the encrypting equipment inside was classified enough to destroy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

There are already H1s running around Moscow(along with H2s and H3s),there are Hummer dealers in Moscow/St Petersburg,along with every other American car company.

And before you see a new Camaro SS,there will be one trying to beat the record 'round the Ring Road.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

S/F

replaced with what?  We just started using them. all units deploying to iraq now are being trained up on them in theater.

i carried an MBITR on me evertime i dismounted in iraq, and used them in 2 of the 3 vehicles i was assigned to without issue.  as long as you have extra batteries to replace them after several months of solid use, and have both long and short whips for them they are perfect.  I would much rather hump an MBITR on patrol than a sincgars manpack.

Your message box is full....
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are already H1s running around Moscow(along with H2s and H3s),there are Hummer dealers in Moscow/St Petersburg,along with every other American car company.

And before you see a new Camaro SS,there will be one trying to beat the record 'round the Ring Road.

If the russians try to reverse engineer those HMMWV's, they'll probably end up with something that looks like a potato on wheels, and runs like a VW beetle fueled with stove oil.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the russians try to reverse engineer those HMMWV's, they'll probably end up with something that looks like a potato on wheels, and runs like a VW beetle fueled with stove oil.
No,it'll have huge chrome wheels,leather interior,TV,GPS,ultra loud stereo.

Wait.....they already have that. Or the Russians could simply buy them from the Chinese.

I really wanted a UaZ Hunter,really cool looking vehicle.

Somewhere in Russia,there HAS to be one of the original Jeeps,a lend lease Bantam or Willys Quad,that would be one helluva find.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#30]
ITH - Bose Improved Tactical Headset = $650.00 each unit

Yeah...  Those are cool when used with the VIC's.  But I dont think the russians have the proper PLC plugs for them to work with anything.  Of course, they could cut them off but thats not good either.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
ITH - Bose Improved Tactical Headset = $650.00 each unit

Yeah...  Those are cool when used with the VIC's.  But I dont think the russians have the proper PLC plugs for them to work with anything.  Of course, they could cut them off but thats not good either.

shit, i never knew they were that much.  we went through a bunch....
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't the Marines use PRC's as primary comms?
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 3:04:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Ruskies: You mean, is not radio?

Marines: No, that's a gameboy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 4:45:51 AM EDT
[#34]
If those vehicles had any sort of commo equipment, I'd be surprised. That sort of gear isn't simply left unattended at the port.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Don't the Marines use PRC's as primary comms?

Most of the radio systems, SINCGARS, MBITR, Harris, ASIP, etc; have a different PRC number assigned for each different configuration.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#36]
We need to invest in LOJACK....

I think one precision guided munition could turn them into scrap....
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#37]
BITCH STOLE MY HUMVEE!

Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Why did we leave sensitive electronic gear in Humvees?

Yes I saw the parts about getting ready for humanitarian stuff, but why were these pieces of equiptment not well defended?
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did we leave sensitive electronic gear in Humvees?

Yes I saw the parts about getting ready for humanitarian stuff, but why were these pieces of equiptment not well defended?
They weren't.

The Marine Corps has stated outright that no sensitive commo equipment was lost and several of us have confirmed that U.S. military policies do not allow sensitive items to be left unguarded in a port.

The Russians only claim to have captured such equipment. Russian news reports on this matter are no more credible than the Iraqi news reports during the invasion.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Or, if they really wanted a humvee to copy, they would have bought one on the civilian market.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#41]
If they had the time to send those Marines to a hotel, they had time to blow those Hummers up.

I wonder what else the Russkies ended up with.

Tons of 5.56 that should be sitting in my ammo cabinet or on a Walmart shelf?
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#42]
We need to equipt our Humvees with a SELF-DESTRUCT!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHtJW0NxEjI
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Ahem, the chinese already did that. And really, it's a humvee, which we're in the process of replacing. They can have it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRC_HMMWVs
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#44]
everything is "hightech" to the russians, aren't they still using tin cans and string?

Link Posted: 8/31/2008 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#45]

$ 13,999 MSRP at WalMart.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#46]
The most the Ruskies got were some cables, radio mounts, antenna bases, and MAYBE some amplifiers.  The SINCGARS R/T-1523 receiver/transmitter that goes in the Humvee is a Controlled Cryptographic Item (CCI), and most certainly would not have been left in the vehicles.

<- Marine Comm-O
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The most the Ruskies got were some cables, radio mounts, antenna bases, and MAYBE some amplifiers.  The SINCGARS R/T-1523 receiver/transmitter that goes in the Humvee is a Controlled Cryptographic Item (CCI), and most certainly would not have been left in the vehicles.

<- Marine Comm-O

US-built Humvees allegedly seized by Russian forces are escorted by Russian troops while departing the military airbase in Senaki on August 19, 2008.AFP PHOTO/Louisa Gouliamaki

Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<- Marine Comm-O

img233.imageshack.us/img233/4512/capt8ccd048d61314dd88b1mz4.jpg
img241.imageshack.us/img241/2239/usbuilthumveesallegedlyfr8.th.jpgimg210.imageshack.us/img210/1803/usbuilthumveesallegedlykz3.th.jpg

US-built Humvees allegedly seized by Russian forces are escorted by Russian troops while departing the military airbase in Senaki on August 19, 2008.AFP PHOTO/Louisa Gouliamaki

He's talking about the comm systems IN (or not) the humvees. Nobody's disputing they got the vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<- Marine Comm-O

img233.imageshack.us/img233/4512/capt8ccd048d61314dd88b1mz4.jpg
img241.imageshack.us/img241/2239/usbuilthumveesallegedlyfr8.th.jpgimg210.imageshack.us/img210/1803/usbuilthumveesallegedlykz3.th.jpg

So, they got the trucks--have fun pulling maintenance on those things.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Lock in on them and destroy in place.

This should be our policy on all captured US equipment.

Have an F-22 swing by and drop some SDB's on it.  Since they'll never see the Raptors anyway, we can then claim that the 'Russians must have somehow activated the Auto-destruct'.  

ETA: I understand there was no sensitive equipment in there.  I don't really care.  You jack our shit, we should exercise our right to blow it the f up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top