was threatening nearby children has been found
                            guilty of "killing a protected reptile or amphibian
                            without a state permit" and faces a possible jail
                            sentence, reports the Ann Arbor News.

Convicted of killing the rattlesnake during an
                            afternoon outing Aug. 9 with his two sons and their
                            friend at Pickeral Lake northwest of Ann Arbor,
                            47-year-old James Galloway says he was protecting
                            nearby children and himself, according to the report.

Galloway said he wasn't aware that it is a crime in
                            Michigan to kill the Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake,
                            Michigan's only venomous snake.

The six-member jury convicted Galloway after being
                            confronted by the prosecution with the
                            plastic-wrapped, frozen, decapitated snake as
                            evidence.

According to the paper, Galloway testified he was
                            walking up a narrow, sandy path when he heard a
                            hissing sound. With the rattlesnake about six to eight
                            feet away, Galloway saw a 3-year-old girl and her
                            parents walking down the path toward him. After
                            telling the girl to stop, testified Galloway, he grabbed
                            a stick and used it to pin down the snake while the
                            girl and her parents got out of range.

He then picked up the snake and transported it to a
                            dock where his sons were fishing, said the News.
                            Planning to set the snake free, Galloway says he took
                            the snake to a parking lot preparing to use a shovel
                            to scoop up the snake and release it into the woods.
                            But the snake then came toward him, said Galloway,
                            and, feeling threatened, he used the shovel to cut off
                            its head and rattle.

A woman observing the events and suspecting the
                            snake was a protected Eastern Massasauga
                            reportedly contacted authorities on her cell phone. In
                            court, an expert testified he doubted Galloway's
                            story, since the Eastern Massasauga is generally a shy
                            snake that usually will flee in the presence of humans.

With sentencing scheduled for June 26, the
                            misdemeanor crime carries a maximum penalty of 90
                            days in jail and a $500 fine.

"I'm stunned that the snake had more rights than a
                            human being," said Galloway.

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Fucking nuts.(no edit I am in a foul mood)
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
time to feed the hogs

I think environmentalism is a nutjob religion almost as dangerous as Islam
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I HATE SNAKES!

The only good one...is a dead one.

Had one give me the willies about an hour ago.

I wish I had my .45 with rat shot with me.

MM419
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Frankly, I don't believe his story either.

"Honest Judge, I was going to turn it loose.  That's why I was [b]*at the the dock, with a shovel* [/b]when I released it.  Why did I keep the head and rattles? Ummm..."

He should have been charged.  If the jury found him guilty, how is it that anyone on this board knows better what happened?

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...the snake then came toward him, said Galloway, and, feeling threatened, he used the shovel to cut off its head and rattle.

A woman observing the events and suspecting the snake was a protected Eastern Massasaug reportedly [red]contacted authorities on her cell phone.[/red]
View Quote

He used the shovel on the wrong snake. [;D]

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell, that's freakin' crazy.....we have "rattle snake round ups" In west TEXAS....

and don't forget....tastes like chicken!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"Honest Judge, I was going to turn it loose.  That's why I was [b]*at the the dock, with a shovel* [/b]when I released it.  Why did I keep the head and rattles? Ummm..."

He should have been charged.  If the jury found him guilty, how is it that anyone on this board knows better what happened?

View Quote

IT'S A FUCKING SNAKE! WHO CARES WHERE HE KILLED IT?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes juries never make mistakes, right !
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]
jeeze...the BITCH that made the cell phone call should be thrown  in a snake pit....

-HS
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

[Johnny Cochran mode]

If he almost got bit - you must acquit!

[/Johnny Cochran mode]

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Michigan has very few rattlesnakes and a great deal of liberals. It's three biggest economies are the auto industry (UAW), Prisons, and Welfare. All traditional democratic voting blocks.  This story does not surprise me at all.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[Johnny Cochran mode]

If he almost got bit - you must acquit!

[/Johnny Cochran mode]

View Quote

groan

[lol]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#13]
There are some people involved here that I hope get bit by a rattlesnake; a bitchy woman, a freaking "expert" and at least one board member.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Johnny Cochran is a snake I am surprised he was not on this case.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There are some people involved here that I hope get bit by a rattlesnake; a bitchy woman, a freaking "expert" and at least one board member.
View Quote
Don't hold back WHO?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't hold back WHO?
View Quote

He probably means me, 'cause I don't believe the guy really needed to kill it in "self defense".

Why supporting an animal's right to live from freaks that hate snakes is a capital crime, I don't know.  If y'all are so freaked out that ANY snake needs to die, you need some counseling, seriously.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't hold back WHO?
View Quote

He probably means me, 'cause I don't believe the guy really needed to kill it in "self defense".

Why supporting an animal's right to live from freaks that hate snakes is a capital crime, I don't know.  If y'all are so freaked out that ANY snake needs to die, you need some counseling, seriously.  Sorry.
View Quote
Ohio, I got a rule with snakes, if they run from me I let them, it they look like they got a problem with me I blast the shit out of them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
My rule is that they need to stay in their cages unless an adult is around.
Wild snakes?  I leave them alone.  Venemous snakes?  They are left be nless they are within 50 yards of the house, or [b]follow[/b] a human.  Then they relocate or die, usually die.
They are NOT demons incarnate.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you think the guy deserves jail time?

Howbout if he just went out and killed if for the heck of it?

If you answered yes to the second question, then, how do you feel about varmint shooting?

Do you worship the earth goddes?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They are left be nless they are within 50 yards of the house, or [b]follow[/b] a human.  Then they relocate or die, usually die.
View Quote

I have about the same rules only it is 50 miles of the house.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#21]
He killed a protected species and should have known better.  Ignorance of the law is not a defense.

Snake killers beware!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Michigan has [red]very few rattlesnakes and a great deal of liberals.[/red] It's three biggest economies are the auto industry (UAW), Prisons, and Welfare. All traditional democratic voting blocks.  This story does not surprise me at all.
View Quote

Aren't you contridicting youself? [:)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#23]
For the record, I do think that the civil magistrate has the right to restrict hunting on public grounds.
I think that the civil magistrate has the right to protect endangered species.
I think a fine or public flogging is the appropriate penalty for this crime, not jail.
Varmint hunting is aimed at species that are not endangered.
The Massassauga rattler is very rare, and endangered.
I really don't care what nonendangered, nonhuman species of wild animals he kills on private property, with the landowner's permission.

I am a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church in North America.

Any other questions?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Wait til you see the penalty for killing a California Condor.

But, but judge, those claws could take yer eye out!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#25]
1)  Why didn't the nosy b**ch mind her own business?

2)  How far did the responding "authority" have his/her head up his/her @ss?

3)  How incompetent was the guy's defense attorney?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Do you think the guy deserves jail time?

Howbout if he just went out and killed if for the heck of it?

If you answered yes to the second question, then, how do you feel about varmint shooting?

Do you worship the earth goddes?
View Quote

1. No. A fine, yes.

2. Yes.

3. Snakes arent varmints.

4. No.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wait til you see the penalty for killing a California Condor.

But, but judge, those claws could take yer eye out!
View Quote
I have been told American Eagles taste like turkey.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Snakes aren't varmints? They are right here on page 8 in my "BOOK OF VARMINTS".

That is right between SALESMEN and SNEAKS for anyone that wants to look it up.

Uhhmmm, no. I won't post this part. [0:)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't buy this endangered species crap either. What's the point?

Species have been dissapearing for as long as there's been life on earth. Why try to stop it? About the only argument I've heard is "what if such and such critter turns out to hold the cure for such and such horrible disease"

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Species have been dissapearing for as long as there's been life on earth. Why try to stop it? About the only argument I've heard is "what if such and such critter turns out to hold the cure for such and such horrible disease"

View Quote
It's called evolution, only the strong survive.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote

exactly

given that this snake species actually is dangerously close to extinction ... what would be the negative of killing it off? it's a danger to people who unwittingly come across it, and there are other snakes that can handle whatever small amount of "pest control" this snake provides.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I hate women so much, they are always using emotions to make decisions. Use some reason you dumb bitch!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't hold back WHO?
View Quote

View Quote

[size=6][green]Oh look ,the president of PETA joined AR15.com, LOL[/green][/size=6][
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Poaching is poaching.  Plain and simple.
If it was a deer or a bear or a squirrel, many would be singing a different song.
[b]"killing a protected reptile or amphibian
without a state permit"[/b]
Pretty clear what law he broke.  Glad the jury was able to see past Genesis and the fact that
'snakes are the debil!'

BTW, Michigan is about as far left on the animal rights issue as California is on the gun control issue.  You do not want to be caught abusing animals in that state.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Poaching is poaching.  Plain and simple.
If it was a deer or a bear or a squirrel, many would be singing a different song.
[b]"killing a protected reptile or amphibian
without a state permit"[/b]
Pretty clear what law he broke.  Glad the jury was able to see past Genesis and the fact that
'snakes are the debil!'

BTW, Michigan is about as far left on the animal rights issue as California is on the gun control issue.  You do not want to be caught abusing animals in that state.
View Quote
Oh look CA. is chriping up.[nuts]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Another reason to ban cell phones and shovels.

People don't kill snakes ... shovels do.
View Quote
No offence Paul, I guess some normal people live there also.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#38]
boy if they only knew how many rattlesnakes i've killed this year

i hate snakes, but grass snakes and the like get a pass from me ............... except the one i found IN my house, in the water heater closet, he died a traumatic death with a hoe

but if i see a rattlesnake, and im armed, the bastard dies, period

dont have many rattlesnakes in X state?  come down here and i'll send you home with some.  our secretary was almost bit last month while mowing around some tanks, my 83 year old grandmother was in fact bit about 6 months ago while picking weeds in her garden, to hell with em
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#39]
[size=6]SNAKES ARE PEOPLE TOO![/SIZE=6]

edited to add this: ---->  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#40]
This is the kind of stuff that gives me headaches.

He killed a snake.  So what!  Are there really people on this board that don't understand what is wrong with putting a human in jail for killing a stinkin snake!

I've killed hundreds of 'em.  I hate 'em.  I'll continue to kill all of them I ever see.

But, of course, I live in a FREE state, the Great State of Texas, thank you Lord!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#41]
It's a snake,who gives a shit.
I'm not scared of snakes at all, only time I kill em is when they piss me off.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#42]

I'm suprised he hasn't been called an "Environmental Terrorist" by the PETA / 'Animals-Have-Rights-Too' crowd here. [rolleyes]

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm from Ohio and I hate snakes. Were not all PETA members.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hell, that's freakin' crazy.....we have "rattle snake round ups" In west TEXAS....

and don't forget....tastes like chicken!
View Quote

You talkin about Sweetwater? Im about an hour away and ive been reallly wanting to make it out to one of those
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
He killed a snake.  So what!  Are there really people on this board that don't understand what is wrong with putting a human in jail for killing a stinkin snake!
View Quote

It would seem so.  Interesting how we feel the need to legislate the treatment of the lower animals, isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#46]
he should have let the family pass and then toss it into the bushes along side the trail, the snake probably would have been on its way. he took it back to the dock so he could show his kids and look big and fearless to them, then killed it when it got away from him and tried to defend itself. he should be fined the $500 and no jail, to bad the snake didnt bite his ass and teach him a good lesson. i run into rattlers in eastern oregon once in a while when hunting, if its close enough to strike at me i kill it, if its a ways away i pass it by and leave it alone.  they dont bother anything most of the time.

by the way if its by your house or garage definetly kill it, but out in the woods, leave it alone.
the bitch on the cell phone should have minded her own business not called the police into the matter.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Ahem excuse me guys, is this alice in wonderland we are living in?  How in the hell can a man be sent to jail for defending himself and children against a poisonous snake.  Seems a little funky to me.....

Having said that, you have to corner or literally walk by one for it to become agitated and threaten a strike.  There's probably a different truth than what is being told.

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's [b]not[/b] evolution -- it's natural selection; two different things.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#49]
[red]Genisis 3:14 ¶ And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
15  And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.[/red]

[b]Sorry! Not in Michigan!![/b] [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
[red]Genisis 3:14 ¶ And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
15  And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.[/red]
[b]Sorry! Not in Michigan!![/b] [:D]
View Quote
So... you're saying the state of Michigan infringed on his freedom of religious expression?? Hmmmm...

Sounds like a 1st Amendment-protected right to crush snakes to me! [:D]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top