Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 12:33:54 PM EDT
Welp, it's my turn.

Found out my manager is trying to replace me.  Wouldn't come out and tell me, so he just does some "load balancing" with another guy.  Took me a little while to figure out I was being replaced.  Confronted him via phone and email, got no answer, which is all the answer I need.

Been a high-tech project manager for a few years.  It was really wearing on me.  My wife isn't unhappy at the prospect of a change.  I don't know what kind of jobs are out there for an almost 50 year old guy with 25 years in the computer biz.  May have a chance to stay with my current company in a different job.

So I may be hanging around here a little more in the near future.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear that. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck with whatever happens.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#3]

I went through the exact same thing a few years back, it was the push I needed to finally change and simplify my life and start to actually enjoy it.  Tossing off the BBB <bigger better deal> and started spending my time my way, not 'their' way...

Keep the faith...

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about NC, but in OR I don't think you would have much problem getting a PM job. Unfortunately, a lot of employers are starting to ask for PMI and/or PRINCE certifications.

My personal take on this is that if someone has had the time to complete PMI certification, he hasn't been doing much real PM for the past few years...

Most of the insurance companies are always looking for PMs -- of course, that probably says more about the work environment inside insurance companies than anything else -- but they are good for short-term contracts which will pay considerably more than you were getting before.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
an almost 50 year old guy

Thats bad... trust me. 40 is bad enough but 50.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
No worries...I've done the lay off thing a couple times now. There's always someone who needs work done no matter how old you are. Look at as a way to do something you always wanted to do. :)
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been working my way up to Wal-Mart greeter over the years.  I think that should be a challenging role someday.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at Govt Jobs, especially in DoD.   Your age isn't an issue with Uncle Sugar and you seem to have more than enough skills and qualifications to do a great job.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#9]
It ain't nothin but a thing, man.  

Start reading the classifieds today, or if your local paper has a day when they run alot more 'help wanted' ads, start there (here it's Wed and Fri classifieds for lots of help wanted posts).

Shine up that resume, have someone proof read and critique it.  Get some internet advice on putting together a good resume and cover letters.  Once it's ready, send it out to lots of places ASAP.  Wake up at 0800 every morning and get ready to call the classifieds that look good, fax your resume out, etc.

Start cutting expenses now...save extra cash as a between-jobs cushion, because unemployment benefits aren't.  If things get really bad, Wal-Mart or the local coffee shop will probably hand you a job in less than a week.  It won't meet all your expenses likely, but it will slow the hemmorage until you find a REAL job.

You probably don't need any of this advice anyway.  Like another poster said, there's always someone out there that need someone of any age to get something done.  At my job they just hired a guy 3x my age (at least he looks that old) to replace a guy 1/3 his age to do an electronics job.  

Remember: Getting fired is just an opportunity to find a better job.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
For a second there I thought you were going to tell me you became 'a card carrying member' of the DU.hippie.gif
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
if it were me, I would agree to another role in the same company

You would retain tenure, benefits, and hopefully less stress

Nothing worse than 'no income'

It could be a road with no return*

*Not underestimating your talent or value, but the stats say its tough to hook up with anything near as valuable/rewarding
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
welcome to my life.  my car will be reposed on nov 22nd unless I can come up with money

My doctor forced me to quit the last job because of the chemicals and my prior lung surgeries.  No unemployment since I didn't work there for 3 months either.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
an almost 50 year old guy

Thats bad... trust me. 40 is bad enough but 50.

Good luck.

Want to try 60?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#14]
sorry to hear that. i figure mine is comming in JAn. we have a consulting firm comming in. i always thought work was becomming office space now i know.

i was hoping for 4 more years also to get 20 in.

Ronald
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#15]
The current workforce is lean, mean, and hungry.  Better educated and highly competitive, that can succeed in a Trump apprentice type environment.  The employers that say they can't find good help are the ones looking for someone to work for 10-15 bucks an hour with no benefits.  Corporate Amerika, OTOH, has a huge supply of Bachelor and MBA's that are no where near burn-out.  

If you can, start your own business.  If you have to, work PT for income and stay on your unemployment for the rest, til you build up to be on your own.   Getting decent health insurance will be next to impossible, unless you are healthy.  Any chronic ilness will not be covered, or worse yet it may disqualify you alltogether.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Got laid off last month...........do not know what I am going to do yet. Sold a bunch of guns, ammo and magazines.

I want to change careers, but do not know what I am going to do yet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#17]
good luck
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Congratulations on your unscheduled vacation!

I recommend going out at night dressed in black and hanging out with musicians.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry to hear that mr.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#20]
What I really hate is siting here at 2:10am unable to sleep, thinking about what I'm gonna do.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
if it were me, I would agree to another role in the same company

You would retain tenure, benefits, and hopefully less stress

Nothing worse than 'no income'

It could be a road with no return*

*Not underestimating your talent or value, but the stats say its tough to hook up with anything near as valuable/rewarding

You don't know the company I work for.  It chews you up and spits you out like no other I have ever seen.  Backstabbing bastages.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a suggestion.  While you're up at 2:30, get a notepad and a pencil.  Write it out.  The three topics under discussion are:

1.  Who am I?
2.  Where am I going?
3.  What am I doing, right now, to get there?

There are your answers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I was laid off twice and both times it really was for the best.   Good Luck, Joe
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:49:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Too bad man. There are some jobs out there but they are harder to land for us old guys. I went through it already. My job was outsourced to India in Dec 2003.  I am thankful that I had kept in touch with old friends and found something. Most IT stuff is contract these days with HR folks named Ghanji.

Not bitter about it. I miss the big $$$ and the friends I worked with. I keep in touch with them. Most have landed on their feet and some have it better than they had it before.

Me? I'm the Night Man.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You don't know the company I work for.  It chews you up and spits you out like no other I have ever seen.  Backstabbing bastages.

I think I do know your company, or one just like it.

I'm your age.  I just got a new manager less than a year ago that has never done my job.  After eight years of excellent reviews with this company he gives me the worst I've seen in the twenty years I've been this occupation.  His explanation was that my "self elavuation" was a little weak on my high points (I didn't blow my own horn enough).  It was accompanied by a 1% raise because "I'm hitting the ceiling in my grade".  I put in for Christmas off two months ago and haven't gotten the OK yet (followed up with an e-mail two days ago that he hasn't responded to either).  I think I'm starting to get the hint.

I've got a job interview this Friday with another company.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#26]
What area of NC do you live in?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#27]
50 is young in todays market, you'll find a better job.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#28]
My former East Coast based company closed its doors in Portland this July.  

Last week I signed the Operating Agreement for my own company, and I billed about 10 hours to my first client.  

The only job security is that which you create for yourself.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top