Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2002 8:51:32 PM EDT
The poster & website for the new James Bond film "Die Another Day" shows a suppressed Berretta!!

I believe the Aston Martin is back (thank goodness) but to see Bond shooting something other than a Walther is very un-Bond & un-British.

I wish they would stop messing around with what Ian Fleming came up with & stick to what Bond is known for.

[url]http://www.jamesbond.com/bond20/features/feature_04_wp.php[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't Bond start with a Beretta .25?
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought he began with a Walther PPK .380??

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I think M made him turn in his Beretta for the Walther in .32 to have something more powerful. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Methinks you may be right...but I'll have to research it to be sure.

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]

A few movies back he switched to a Walther P99.  He's still got in the new movie, he's carrying it in the trailer
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Back in the sixties Bond had a Beretta.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
James Bond did indeed begin with a Beretta .25.

He then got the Walther thing goin' on.  You know, the PPK with the bottomless magazine that's accurate to  100-yds.?

If he went back to Beretta, suppressed, no less, it works for me!
"Getta Beretta"
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Ratters & the rest of you are correct.

"Beretta:
007's weapon of choice, his .25 calibre Beretta was taken from him in Dr. No when M called in the armourer for advice. Although Bond liked the gun, it had failed him on a mission (it had caught in his clothes when he tried to draw it from his shoulder holster) and needed to be replaced. Major Boothroyd (played by Peter Burton and named after the Major who had consulted with Fleming on Bond's choice of handgun) suggested the perfect weapon for a secret agent - conceable, yet powerful, and Bond's Beretta was replaced with the now legendary Walther PPK."

[url]http://home.talkcity.com/SunsetBlvd/bondmovies/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#9]
He used a (Beretta?) .25 for many of the books, but M made him switch after the gun almost cost him his life.  The silencer caught in his trouser band as he was pulling it out to shoot Rosa Kleb in a hotel room.  She kicked him with a poisoned needle.  The book (can't remember the name now) ended with him blacking out.  You did not find out until the next book that his life was saved because a doctor treated him for a poison that had similar symptoms to what Kleb used (curare perhaps?).

Don't really understand why M made him change - was operator error, not the gun.  That's what I like about the original books - not nearly the fantasy puff pieces that the movies are.  For instance, the original 'The Spy Who Loved Me' was written from a young woman's perspective who had nothing to do with spying, and only ran into Bond at the end by coincidence and spent one night with him after he saves her life.  A very unique book.  Fleming was a great writer.  Pick up an original book some time for a good read.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Who wants to know ?  [;D]

Actually I carry two, an M-9 and a 950.

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, Bond did use the Berreatta .25 as his carry piece for 10 years in the movie Dr. No. In addition, in the opening of License to Kill, Timothy Dalton's Bond character uses the M9/M92SF.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#12]
he's better off with the baretta, I have a ppk, and it is a total piece of crap!
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 3:36:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Of equal importantance is his automobile.  The Aston Martin V12 powered "Vanquish".

[img]http://www.astonmartin.com/html/images/vanquish_2.jpg[/img][img]http://www.astonmartin.com/html/images/vanquish_1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 4:22:01 AM EDT
[#14]
He carried a Walther P-5 in Octopussy.

little known fact.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:20:27 AM EDT
[#15]
He also used a S&W Model 29 in Live And Let Die.

The scene in which M ask Bond to change the Beretta for the Walther has a good line said by Major Boothroyd.

Something like "It has the delivery like a brick thru a plateglass window"

Yeah...32ACP.. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, Bond's Repertoire of weapons started with the Beretta .25, then to a Walther PPK. In Goldfinger, he used an AR-7.

Bond used a CIA agent's S&W Model 25 in Live and Let Die.

When Sean Connery returned for Never Say Never Again, he used a Suppressed HK VP70. (FYI this is where the Beretta M93R made it's screen debut.)

In Octopussy he used a Walther P5.

In Timothy Dalton's debut as Bond, he used a PPK and took a shot with the ever-so-sexy Walther WA2000 Sniper rifle.

When Pierce Brosnan took the wheel in Tomorrow Never Dies he picked up a Walther P99.

The P99 (with Suppressor) reprised it's role with Bond in the World Is Not Enough along with a notable use of a box-stock M1911s (In the opening sequence and in the final showdown with the villaness, played by the Delectable Sophie Marceau).

Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:43:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Remember when Bond killed a shark with the PPK?
"The loud boom of the big pistol rolled over the water" or some such thing.
Uh-huh [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:46:37 AM EDT
[#18]
He also has a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum hidden in a secret compartment of his customized Saab 900.  This is specified in his books by John Gardner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top