Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2004 5:34:40 PM EDT
I just got through installing two Vang Comp Big Head Safeties in my two 870's.  One 870 is in my hunting gun, the safety should be great in the goose pit when wearing gloves.  The other went in my home defense gun.  Installation is extremely easy.  Each took less than 15 minutes to install from start to finish.  

Here is the safety in the HD gun.

Here is a picture of the Vang Comp Safety.

There were some small differences between my older HD gun and the newer hunting gun with key safety.  The older gun had only a spring and ball bearing(sp?).  The newer gun had a piston looking thing in place of the ball bearing.  The piston looking device makes the safety feel much smoother.  I may buy one for my older gun.

Here is the safety installed in the newer trigger group.

Overall I am very happy with the Vang Comp safety.  For $10 on the Brownells website you cant go wrong!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I like them too, I have one for each of my Remington shotguns.

I think I may have to order one for my Dads 870.  Fathers day is just around the corner.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't that big round thing get in the way of your trigger finger?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, if you have the pad of your finger on the trigger your finger will arch around it.  The safety is really easy to get to and easy to disengage.  One of the nicest 870 upgrades that I've come across.  For $10 its worth trying for yourself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]
They are the best Remington safety out there!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They are the best Remington safety out there!

I definately prefer them over the one out by Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Would they be any good for lefties such as myself?

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Perfect timing.  I just bought two too - should be here this week.

Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks for the pics.

No problem, let me know if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#10]
You people use the safety? Keep your finger off the trigger!
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You people use the safety? Keep your finger off the trigger!

Reminds me of a movie I saw somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Hans Vang is a great gunsmith. Years ago in Goleta  he did a trigger job on a S&W M37 that is the best I could expect. He also did a sight job on an S7W M28  awesome. The Guy is one of the good guys check out his web site.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Would they be any good for lefties such as myself?

From experience:

In order for Vang's safety to work lefty on an RIGHT handed 870, you must use/purchase a left handed firing control, and must also swap out the piece from the the left handed firing control (I don't know it's name) that lifts the round from the mag tube to the chamber, for the same piece on the right handed firing control (so the fresh round doesn't roll out before you get a chance to chamber it.

it will work straight up on a factory left handed 870.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hans Vang is a great gunsmith. Years ago in Goleta  he did a trigger job on a S&W M37 that is the best I could expect. He also did a sight job on an S7W M28  awesome. The Guy is one of the good guys check out his web site.

That brings up an interesting question.  Has anyone done a trigger job on an 870?  There is room for inprovement but can it be done.  I think I've ever heard someone say "I got a trigger job done on my shotgun".
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the pics.

No problem, let me know if you have any questions.

Is the trigger group in the pics the newer plastic or the older steel?  Looks like plastic?

ETA: Oops, looks like you have one of each,  same as me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top