Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Ost

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
There is exactly one known transferable FN factory M249 out there.  This comes straight from Dan Shea of LMO who is one of (if not the most) knowledgeable folks on the subject and who got/sold/transferred most of the presamples and the one transferable than came from FN USA.

FN USA imported a bunch of pre-sample Minimi's prior to 86 (approx. 100)  Gun South brought in a handful prior to the 86 cutoff.  FN USA also made a handful of domestic mfged transferable examples prior to 86 when developing the domestic manufacture capability for the 249 contract.   Per Dan/LMO all of the transferables were destroyed except for one which was sold via LMO as well as a large number of the pre-samples which were also destroyed.

Feel free to read his posts on the subject below.

http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsgarchive.cgi?read=576841

http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsgarchive.cgi?read=499058

http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsgarchive.cgi?read=440145

As for the MGA 249, the commonly accepted understanding is that while they take an HK sear, utilizing a transferable sear in them makes the host 249/MK46 a post-sample.  I have never seen a letter on this from the Tech Branch but then again I have never seen a letter stating it was OK from the MGA either......they just seem to hint and dance around the subject and seem to be inviting people to buy their gun and then use their transferable sear without ATF confirmation of legality.

Trust me if it was 100% legit there were be a lot of HK sear owners (myself included) who would own one.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is exactly one known transferable FN factory M249 out there.  This comes straight from Dan Shea of LMO who is one of (if not the most) knowledgeable folks on the subject and who got/sold/transferred most of the presamples and the one transferable than came from FN USA.

FN USA imported a bunch of pre-sample Minimi's prior to 86 (approx. 100)  Gun South brought in a handful prior to the 86 cutoff.  FN USA also made a handful of domestic mfged transferable examples prior to 86 when developing the domestic manufacture capability for the 249 contract.   Per Dan/LMO all of the transferables were destroyed except for one which was sold via LMO as well as a large number of the pre-samples which were also destroyed.

As for the MGA 249, the commonly accepted understanding is that while they take an HK sear, utilizing a transferable sear in them makes the host 249/MK46 a post-sample.  I have never seen a letter on this from the Tech Branch but then again I have never seen a letter stating it was OK from the MGA either......they just seem to hint and dance around the subject and seem to be inviting people to buy their gun and then use their transferable sear without ATF confirmation of legality.

Trust me if it was 100% legit there were be a lot of HK sear owners (myself included) who would own one.
View Quote

Your posts are always full of good research and credible information.
Always worth a read, and good source of valuable information
I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside when you post
Can we be friends?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/U016pW0.jpg

Takes HK G3 registered trigger packs.

Links are cheap and everywhere.
View Quote

Why come you don't got no bipod?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I just finished my MK46 build, Call Great Machine LLC and Talk to Eric he is a good guy and knows a ton about these. I bought a fixed stock from him for $100, he has all the parts you will ever need and his prices blow away even some of the recent auctions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sell it cheap to this guy you know.
View Quote
I see this has not been addressed.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:00:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is that including the G3 trigger, or no?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much

A bare bones boring ass model is like $8,000. Expect around $9 or $10k for a mil clone model.

Is that including the G3 trigger, or no?

Lol. No.

Registered HK trigger packs are in the $20K-$25K range right now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:11:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There is an ATF ruling on this. And they state it constitutes a new machine gun.

I would link, but I'm on my mobile.

OP, pepper your Angus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't one of our members go to jail over a 249 with a hk sear ?

Gotta have a checklist with these things

- Closed bolt action. MK46's normally operate on open bolt
- Non-NFA unless registered. Some people assemble with the 14.5 BBL accidentally and create an SBR
- Proper semi auto trigger pack if operating in semi auto
- If using auto pack, must be registered (duh)

There's a few other things, but that's the main stuff right there. A lot of people don't realize it must be closed bolt.

I believe the issue being that using a transferable hk trigger pack in a non hk/clone gun makes it a post sample according to the ATF.

Like the mac10 beltfed upper, the usc/ump conversion modified for an hk sear, ar15 sears in ar10s, or an FNC in a SCAR.

There is an ATF ruling on this. And they state it constitutes a new machine gun.

I would link, but I'm on my mobile.

OP, pepper your Angus.

I don't have an HK pack

Peppering angus anyways
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:15:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Run it in 3-gun.
View Quote

Dude!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FYI to you weak assed GD'ers... these are heavy. Not for the flabby armed unless you plan to benchrest your NIB beltfed at paper silhouettes at your local sportsmen's club
View Quote

you think a 249 is heavy?  pick up a 240b
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:46:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I got to do a little shooting with the Mk46-48's in the Navy a few years ago, lots of fun!

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:56:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got to do a little shooting with the Mk46-48's in the Navy a few years ago, lots of fun!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/andhol3006/IMG_2476.jpg

View Quote

Fap fap fap
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Slidefire stock?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I thought there were a few out in the wild before the 86 cut off
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't think you could get m249s so I got a shrike/m16 instead

Did something change.

I thought there were a few out in the wild before the 86 cut off

I meant that there was only one out there and it sells for $500k IIRC
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:26:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Find away to make a slide fire stock work on it
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Hopefully yours works better than all the ones we had in our squad. They were good for suppressive fire for about 4 seconds
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:33:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Stupid question potentionally.  

I was under the impression that with a firearm stamped to shoot full auto it could be in any barrel configuration you wanted without a separate stamp?  Is that not the case?

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:37:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So... 7.62 NATO? Gonna be a blast at the range
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:40:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Holy crap I see they make a mk48 variant. I... I may have to sell some stuff to get an HK trigger pack. The mk48 was my girl downrange.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Stupid question potentionally.  

I was under the impression that with a firearm stamped to shoot full auto it could be in any barrel configuration you wanted without a separate stamp?  Is that not the case?

View Quote

Yes, machine guns have no barrel length restrictions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:45:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the correction info. I thought that it was a presample built into a transferable. I didn't realize FN had made some domestically produced Minimis.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:46:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
open carry that MFer.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:50:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Find away to make a slide fire stock work on it
View Quote

This is the only way I would FO.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Thanks for the correction info. I thought that it was a presample built into a transferable. I didn't realize FN had made some domestically produced Minimis.
View Quote

There have always been rumors of transferable M249s out there made from sawcut pre-samples or receiver chunks.  

There are also the SOCOM Mfg (Ernie Wrenn) made M249 uppers that attached to M11/380 or M11/9 lowers.   I think Ernie made about half a dozen of the M249 uppers and eventually all were confiscated from their owners or SOCOM and ultimately put another nail in Ernie's legal coffin so to speak.  (although I believe he was technically convicted of mail and wire fraud).  

There have also been serial number transfer guns where 249s with MAC serials have supposedly popped up and defrauded folks over the years

My bet is that if there are any saw cut rewelds out there their transferable pedigree will always be in question and they were most likely made by somebody who had a generic Pre-86 Form 1 for a "Machinegun" in "5.56" and either destroyed their original gun (M16 or the like)  and built a 249 after the fact or had an unused F1 and built a 249 with receiver bits after 86.  Without some sort of documentation that the gun was really built prior to 86 than I would stay away, especially given the price point a transferable 249 would command regardless of it pedigree challenges.

My take is that unless you are extremely wealthy and just "have to have" the one verified transferable, you might as well just become an FFL/SOT, rent a small storefront for a year, do some sales, and buy one of the verified pre-samples for ~50K as it would ultimately be a cheaper proposition than trying to acquire a true transferable at half a million or more.

The other option and which most of the civilian machinegun collectors do is buy a M16 Sear and built a 249/MK46 type gun utilizing a Shrike.   If you want a light-weight shoulder fired 5.56 machinegun, a Shrike +  RR or Sear should scratch the itch for most folks.  That is what I did anyway.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top