Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2013 9:28:01 PM EDT
I've finally got a laptop fancy enough to play games on. Only it overheats occasionally...
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Dry ice
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I blow on it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I blow on it.
View Quote

I'm full of hot air so that won't work.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure it's resting on a blanket or the carpet. Best way to keep it cool.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I blow on it.

Yeah, hasn't been working real well for me either... but quitters never win!

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Make sure it's resting on a blanket or the carpet. Best way to keep it cool.
View Quote

Hilarious.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't really play games on it (though I wouldn't be opposed to it). But I typically keep my laptop on the DVD cabinet next to the fan. And since it's summer, they're pretty much always on. It seems that's enough for when I'm surfing Arfcom (kinda like I am now).
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#10]
There are all sorts of cooling pads available but there are no guarantees on how well they'll work for you.  They're not actually increasing or changing the airflow through the inside of laptop.  They add airflow under the laptop and help ensure the intake and exhaust ports of the laptop aren't being blocked by your clothing, or a blanket, etc.
There are also some cooling fans that clip on to the intake or exhaust grill.  Something like this would actually push/pull more air through your cooling path but it has to hang off the vent which can be annoying.  I've personally never used one of these so I'd suggest reading some reviews on these before pulling the trigger on one.
You're experiencing one of the downsides of having all that gear crammed in to such a small space.  Unless your temps are outside of the safe/recommended ranges I wouldn't worry about it.  Just keep the vents clear and give 'em a dusting every now and then.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a Rain Designs Mstand with a wireless keyboard and mouse:

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is all sorts of cooling pads available but there are no guarantees on how well they'll work for you.  They're not actually increasing or changing the airflow through the inside of laptop.  They add airflow under the laptop and help ensure the intake and exhaust ports of the laptop aren't being blocked by your clothing, or a blanket, etc.

There are also some cooling fans that clip on to the intake or exhaust grill.  Something like this would actually push/pull more air through your cooling path but it has to hang off the vent which can be annoying.  I've personally never used one of these so I'd suggest reading some reviews on these before pulling the trigger on one.

You're experiencing one of the downsides of having all that gear crammed in to such a small space.  Unless your temps are outside of the safe/recommended ranges I wouldn't worry about it.  Just keep the vents clear and give 'em a dusting every now and then.  
View Quote

All good info.

I've never been fond of the "gaming laptop". You can spend a lot more money and will never match the performance of a desktop.

If someone said "I have $1,500 to spend. I need a laptop and I want to play games.", I would reply "Spend $500 on a laptop and $1,000 on a decent gaming PC".

All of that said, there have been times when I wished I had a gaming laptop. A fully loaded Antec 900 isn't super light.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Get a cat..

Fucking heat thiefs will sit on it and act as a heatsink.  Doubles as a furry ninja asshole security system if anyone try's to pick it up
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#14]
submerge it in mineral oil
(NOT MINE)

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've finally got a laptop fancy enough to play games on. Only it overheats occasionally...
View Quote

Turn it off and go outdoors once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I work outdoors. How about you?

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#17]
We keep our laptop (home computer) on a cooling pad with a built in fan. The laptop used to always overheat, but hasn't since we bought the cooling pad...
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Wait... How does that work without shorting out? Electrical stuff submerged in liquid usually = no bueno... I are confuse...
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Not sure how to help you since I am hoping my laptop overheats bad enough to where I can buy a new one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How do you keep your laptop cool
View Quote

I've found that buying well-designed laptops works...

In all seriousness - Would you accept a brand-new sports car that overheated?

Read the user reviews, and don't buy junk.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Kerbal Space Program heats this thing up like nothing else... lol

I try to keep it cool with BFL stickers, FBHO stickers, banana, Atari stickers... They're pretty cool but don't seem to help too much with the actual heat sink issue..
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I fly airplanes around for a living. Is that outdoors, or inside an airplane. I dunno. The view is great.
Either way, make sure you have good airflow to your laptop. Sitting on your legs can block the inlet air. Just pay attention to where the cooling fan intakes air and make sure it isn't blocked.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wait... How does that work without shorting out? Electrical stuff submerged in liquid usually = no bueno... I are confuse...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mineral oil is an electrical insulator.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Kerbal Space Program heats this thing up like nothing else... lol

I try to keep it cool with BFL stickers, FBHO stickers, banana, Atari stickers... They're pretty cool but don't seem to help too much with the actual heat sink issue..
View Quote

That game turns my full tower with 8x120mm fans into a space heater, and I'm not even joking.

I won't run it anymore, that shits no bueno.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I keep pictures of people smoking cigarettes and wearing sunglasses on my desktop.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Must be an AMD
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Up can get those little rubber stick-on pads at the hardware store that will give you a little more space under the laptop to help ensure you get sufficient airflow

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:45:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Put it in a bucket of ice water
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:54:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Macbook It rarely even gets warm
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:10:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I prop up the corner with the fan using a drink coaster.  

Granted this is my super sweet $150 craptop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top