Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2002 4:15:08 PM EDT
I have a very old US Flag with 48 stars on it...it is in need of cleaning & I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to clean it without damaging it.  I recently purchased it at a "barn" type store as it was in need of rescuing.  It made me upset to see the flag in such bad condition displayed with such disrespect.  It is in sad shape & I wish to restore it.

I believe it is cotton/linen & I am apprehensive of washing it as I believe the colors may run or it may be damaged.  Apparently it was a flag used by the US Army (according to the seller) that has seen better days.

Any help would be appreciated....thanks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#1]
unfortunately, the proper thing would be to leave it init's original state or dispose of it properly, sorry, just my .02
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree that it should be left in its original condition. I've always wanted to find an older flag like that, that has some "history" behind it and have it put in a big frame.

If you ever decide to sell it let me know.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have any answers but I commend you on this patriotic endeavor!
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Contact your local historical society.

They may be able to recommend products that can clean the fabric with out doing harm to the flag itself. My fiance worked for a museum as a preservationist for many years in the clothing and fabric section. I'll see if she has any ideas.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
In a washtub full of Osama and Saddams blood.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In a washtub full of Osama and Saddams blood.
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.treefort.org/~rgrogan/web/flagfaq.htm#13[/url]

[url]http://home.earthlink.net/~clingk/flags/repairs.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 48 star flag that flew over Pensacola Naval Air station during WWII, and it's not in the bad shape (Faded, white is yellowed, and it has a few small, small holes). I was told by a member of the Naval Aviation Museum restoration team that the best thing to do was just frame it under high quality, UV glass and enjoy the history and pride that the wear on the flag symbolizes. That's exactly what I did, and that old glory has been flying proudly in my home ever since. It makes an impression on every person that sees it,and I'm proud to be it's caretaker.
Good Luck!
Pit
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#10]
fyi...

[url]http://www.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=291311[/url]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the replies & advice.  I don't mind too much how it looks but it sure smells ripe...maybe I can air it out or something in the shade?

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Matrix,

That flag in that condition symbolizes the strength and perseverance of a great nation. Leave it be, it speaks volumes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:47:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:16:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I was wandering around the web the other day to get an email address for my Congressman and noted that one can buy some quality flags from our government.  Flags can be flown or not flown over the US Capitol and the date can be specified.

Go to:  [url]http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html[/url]

Select or search for your rep, go to his/her space and select "Constituent Services", then "Order US Flag".  Most offer a certificate and some lead time if a specific date is requested.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Give it the respect it deserves, burn it. A proper burial.
GG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top