Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2013 7:00:49 AM EDT
I am looking for some reactive targets.

I need something that is:

Ricochet proof (I will be shooting from 25 yards)

At least IPSC Torso sized

In Stock or quick to make
I found these:

http://store.actiontarget.com/self-healing-reactive/at-self-healing-reactive-target-package.html

They drop when hit, I am OK with self resetting but they must drop when hit.

And I actually called them to buy 20, but it seems like they are not that bothered about getting my money.

Does anyone know of anything else similar?

I need exactly 20, with a budget of $200 Per target (Thus $4000 budget total).

I NEED them before next weekend (21st).

Anyone got any ideas of anyone that sells anything even remotely similar to the above?

I thought about the bleeding zombie targets but making them drop when hit will be hard work.
Ideas?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#1]
25 yards with what?  Pistol or Rifle?  

If its a pistol whats wrong with ar400 or ar500 plate?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Why the drop requirement?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Rifle (5.56mm) from a Helicopter.

So NO ricochets as fixing a human is cheaper than fixing a Helicopter...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why the drop requirement?
View Quote

Needs to be super obvious when flying by at high speed from Helicopter.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Frangible ammo?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Frangible ammo?
View Quote

This is the correct answer
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Frangible ammo is fine, but where do I get 20 steel reactive targets in a week for less money than $185 each?

Hence FMJ and ricochet safe targets is cheaper (and lighter, I can actually fly and transport the linked targets).

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I shoot from a jet, pussy!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:43:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Any free-standing plate will be fine, using frangible is simply necessary.

MGM should be able to hook you up with any regular plate up to 10" for about $65 each.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#10]
The problem is getting hold of ammo right now.

I can get Frangible for $30 per box of 20.

I have thousands of FMJ at my cost, 20c per round.

The price difference would more than pay for additional targets.

Hence wanting a 'safe' target to shoot at.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#11]
They wouldn't sit upright, or look like traditional targets, but cheap plastic bins filled with water would be reactive as hell if hit with a rifle round.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Go to a party store and get some large balloons.

Then send me an invitation to your party 'cuz it sounds like fun!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the water bin idea but they cannot easily be shot over and over again.

The balloon with some modification is actually a GREAT idea.

A couple helium balloons inside a colored T-shirt suspended from a cheap frame would be perfect.

When shot, the t-shirt would drop.

Then just use a compressor to refill a new balloon.

I also just purchased the RTS targets linked above too, so its all going to be good!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh... and Tannerite... you're going epic, you might as well go full epic.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a good idea.  1" of tanerite sandwitched between two pieces of plywood cut out in a silhouette shape would be awesome.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Make a bad guy out of cardboard.

Blow up a balloon and place it in the target area you want to count as a hit.  

Tie the balloon to a post in the middle of the target.

When the balloon is hit and it deflates it will release the cardboard man target, which will drop down the pole.

Make the pole as long as you want, the longer the pole, the better the drop down effect.  

To reset the target, just blow another balloon up inside the target.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That's a good idea.  1" of tanerite sandwitched between two pieces of plywood cut out in a silhouette shape would be awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At 25 yards from helo? That sounds like a bad idea when fragments are thrown into the rotor system.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

At 25 yards from helo? That sounds like a bad idea when fragments are thrown into the rotor system.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats some close flying lol. Then again I've never shot from a helo, but it seems like you would be a tad farther then 25 yards. That being said still probably not a good idea lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Tshirts stuffed with balloons.

4k saved
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So use cardboard instead.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thats some close flying lol. Then again I've never shot from a helo, but it seems like you would be a tad farther then 25 yards. That being said still probably not a good idea lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even really possible unless in a hover.

Any sort of forward flight  would make your time to acquire target and fire impossibly short.

OP what are you setting up here.  Have you done aerial shoots before?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Actually we (as a company) make proprietary binary explosives for the UXO industry so we just edited the mixture a little bit and there will be exploding targets too.

However, they are not sandwiched (nor do the need to) so there is only gas, no fragmentation.

I love the pole and had mentioned the t-shirt/balloon idea. I think we will do both to give more varied targets as well as the reactive targets.

I just spent a long time looking into fragmenting ammunition, but the fact we use belt fed and full auto, its just WAY too expensive to consider.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Any sort of forward flight  would make your time to acquire target and fire impossibly short.

View Quote

Our company teaches aerial shooting, its very possible and not 'too' hard, but yes 25 yards is our closest (hardest target), some are much further away and you have a lot more time to engage. Speed changes too, from slow walk to 25mph at fastest.

The reason I asked the specific question is it gave a worst case scenario, so anything else is do-able with that same solution.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I made some like this a few years ago

http://fuserservices.com/ballon%20drop%20down.png

View Quote
AMAZING!!!

Thanks!!!!

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Use a live dog, just like the po-lice do...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#27]
No such thing as absolute.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Our company teaches aerial shooting, its very possible and not 'too' hard, but yes 25 yards is our closest (hardest target), some are much further away and you have a lot more time to engage. Speed changes too, from slow walk to 25mph at fastest.

The reason I asked the specific question is it gave a worst case scenario, so anything else is do-able with that same solution.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mind if I ask who your students are? PD shooters? Average Joe fun camp?  In my old life I was a Aerial Gunnery instructor and the set ups you are describing seem strange when you combine belt fed with 25 yard targets.  Belt fed + Helo =dispersion and suppressive fire.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't know what kind of ranges you're looking at, but helicopters make a lot of wind.... balloons might be troublesome close up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I shoot from a jet, pussy!
View Quote

Pfft!! I used to be a NASA door gunner until Obama shut down the shuttle program.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Plastic drums or 5 gallon buckets filled with talc powder work pretty good from the helo.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Mind if I ask who your students are? PD shooters? Average Joe fun camp?  In my old life I was a Aerial Gunnery instructor and the set ups you are describing seem strange when you combine belt fed with 25 yard targets.  Belt fed + Helo =dispersion and suppressive fire.

View Quote

Not at all.

Primarily we teach PD.

This particular case is Joe Public fun camp, hence the sudden need for 'safer' targets and being a lot closer.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Why not a steel-style drop/fall setup using 3/4" plywood instead of steel?  They'd obviously be destroyed by use, but cheap and easy to make.  Could probably find a fab shop to kick out a hundred of them for a day's labor.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Large cans of tomato sauce inside white t-shirts.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I like the water bin idea but they cannot easily be shot over and over again.

The balloon with some modification is actually a GREAT idea.

A couple helium balloons inside a colored T-shirt suspended from a cheap frame would be perfect.

When shot, the t-shirt would drop.

Then just use a compressor to refill a new balloon.

I also just purchased the RTS targets linked above too, so its all going to be good!!
View Quote

Helium's gettin' pricey these days though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not at all.

Primarily we teach PD.

This particular case is Joe Public fun camp, hence the sudden need for 'safer' targets and being a lot closer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all.

Primarily we teach PD.

Gotcha.  This falls into the "fuck yes we gonna fire machine guns from the air into the ground" type of event.  Which I heartily support.

Depending on budget a fun thing to do is get some cheap strobes and place them on the range to simulate small arms fire. Normally we would stick them in rock piles to simulate gun pits. Throw some swag to any of the guys that manage to actually take out the strobe. (Its not easy) Works better in morning and evening times.

Honestly the ricochet deal I wouldn't sweat too much.  Its going to be a risk regardless of what you do.  We used to shoot up old conex boxes, wrecked cars and old armor and never really had issues.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Gotcha.  This falls into the "fuck yes we gonna fire machine guns from the air into the ground" type of event.  Which I heartily support.

Depending on budget a fun thing to do is get some cheap strobes and place them on the range to simulate small arms fire. Normally we would stick them in rock piles to simulate gun pits. Throw some swag to any of the guys that manage to actually take out the strobe. (Its not easy) Works better in morning and evening times.

Honestly the ricochet deal I wouldn't sweat too much.  Its going to be a risk regardless of what you do.  We used to shoot up old conex boxes, wrecked cars and old armor and never really had issues.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all.

Primarily we teach PD.

I like the way you party.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Plastic drums or 5 gallon buckets filled with talc powder work pretty good from the helo.

View Quote

This I like
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
The 'People I like' book has just been extended by +1 person :-)

Awesome idea!!

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I really wish I had the problem of finding targets to shoot at from a helicopter.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm confused. Bullet fragments are a no-no but exploding targets are OK?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I'm confused. Bullet fragments are a no-no but exploding targets are OK?
View Quote

The exploding targets are much further away, and with our binary the only that is produced is gas. Not sharp shards of copper like with an FMJ.

With our exploding targets (unlike something like Tannerite) its contained within a plastic bag, not a container that is also sharp/could fragment.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I really wish I had the problem of finding targets to shoot at from a helicopter.
View Quote

Same here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top