Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2002 9:23:04 PM EDT
The last episode of this great show was put on today. I don't know am I the only one who noticed it but I think Vick's become a lot less corrupt and bad during the last few episodes. He's actually only arrested bad guys and done the right things. Granted he broke some laws to get there, he actually has stopped doing outright things that are evil. He's watched after his fellow officers and helped them when they screwed up. He's also set the wrong things right. For example when his partner accidentally shoots the wrong guy and they frame him, he goes through tons of trouble to get the shot guy out of jail and back home. Then he goes after and arrests the real bad guy even though he "broke a few rules" doing it. I can't believe anyone would be offended by this show. If anything, it shows the public the day to day stresses and the scum police have to deal with every day. For example, the show showed some HIV positive transvestite trying to bite officers to give them AIDS. Will people lose respect for police because of the show? I seriously doubt it. Most people would most likely appreciate Police more and be more understanding when they "cut the corners" a little bit. I mean, when he makes finding the woman's ring a priority just to get his kid into the special school, he's doing what any good father would do. Any normal person would not criticize the man. As for selling drugs, we all know cops complain about how crappy pay is so he decided to improvise. No, I don't think what he did was right, and he should probably be punished for it. However, I wouldn't say what he did was way off the wall or not understandable to a certain extent. I think this is a much more realistic show about police and their work, unlike some shows that portray all Police as the best samaritans and most holy saints out there. Don't forget that corrupt cops have been reprimanded and arrested before. Anyone who disagrees can do some research themself. In addition, there are also some officers who in fact are squeaky clean in the show too like that woman who was trying to make Sgt. Whether we like it or not, the show's going to make lots of kids want to become Police. Alright, you guys can flame me all you want. I don't consider my post a flame but only my opinions. If you don't agree, good for you. However, I'm 99% sure lots of people agree with me to one extent or another. I've seen Chikilis on the O- Reilly show and he's said that lots of people have praised him for his character.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I am just so depressed it is over [>(]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#3]
its sucks that the show won't come back on for 8 more months but they did get signed on for 13 episodes, last nights was really good I liked it when vic was poking the cop killer and the lady walked in and said "I don't see nothing wrong with you" or something like that
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't wait for next season.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
its sucks that the show won't come back on for 8 more months but they did get signed on for 13 episodes, last nights was really good I liked it when vic was poking the cop killer and the lady walked in and said "I don't see nothing wrong with you" or something like that
View Quote

That was pretty cool, shows alittle of his evil side thats been hidden for awhile.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope it won't be 8 months! I heard this was supposed to be a one-season deal, but it did so well FX ordered a second season. I wonder if that changed the ending they had originally planned?

I think this is the first show where I've seen every episode as it aired from the beginning. I don't think it's cop bashing at all - it's just really good entertainment.

Now what kind of gun does mackey use?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#7]
one of the large frame S&W semi-autos... .45 or 10mm I think. I don't know the model number
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think this is a much more realistic show about police and their work, unlike some shows that portray all Police as the best samaritans and most holy saints out there. Don't forget that corrupt cops have been reprimanded and arrested before. Anyone who disagrees can do some research themself.
View Quote

I have 9 years of first hand "research". The show has little in common with reality, but it is entertaining.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Piece of junk Smith .45---you really think he would get a better pistol don't you?  He looks like a 1911 man to me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Piece of junk Smith .45---you really think he would get a better pistol don't you?  He looks like a 1911 man to me.
View Quote

I've never seen it, but I think I recall him using a 4506 or something.  If so, I'd rather have a 4506 than 80% of the 1911's out there.  Mine has proved to be far more accurate than any run of the mill 1911 I've ever shot.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Good guy my asssssss, are you all forgetting he blew away a fellow cop in the first episode??? Just who is he loyal too?? Himself??? Notice he does not do anything unless there is something in it for him??

Dutch is pretty funny, perfect geek and a geek getting laid at that....

The Captain is a pretty good character but I am sure more skeletons are in his closet..

Oh yea and Vics partner(the redneck) with the big teeth, I am waiting to see him get as ass blown away, he is to much trouble.

I dig the show a lot and I too will be waiting for next season..

What was everyones favorite episode??

Part 1 of the season finale was pretty damn good.

[bounce]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#12]
We need to parter Vic up with Dirty Harry.  Vic is the only parter Harry could have that wouldn't get killed by the end of the movie!

Seriously, Vic has inherited the Dirty Harry concept big time.  Too bad a S&W model 29 just ain't his style.

Oh yeah, about S&W handguns, they are ugly and bulky, but they tend to shoot straight and go bang every time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I think last nights episode was my favorite, I don't know though because they are all pretty good.  Although the show is dramitized about what cops do I am sure it is not as far fetched as it seems I mean cops have stolen drugs and have sold them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Even though we have to wait for the next season filled with new episodes, there's always the reruns of the show. I enjoy watching "The Shield" so much, I don't mind watching the reruns.

Vic is a good cop even though he has bend several rules quite a bit. He has valid reasons for doing so. In the season finale, I like the part where he took a police badge and stuck the pin inside some kid's chest in order to get the kid to tell who has been behind the killings of the fellow police officers. In top of that, I like it when Detective Claudette Wyms(played by CCH Pounder) approved of Vic's tactics in getting the kid to speak up. She is also another favorite character in the show.

Hell, I like everyone in that show except that crooked cop who got arrested in the end of the show.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good guy my asssssss, are you all forgetting he blew away a fellow cop in the first episode??? Just who is he loyal too?? Himself??? Notice he does not do anything unless there is something in it for him??

Dutch is pretty funny, perfect geek and a geek getting laid at that....

The Captain is a pretty good character but I am sure more skeletons are in his closet..

Oh yea and Vics partner(the redneck) with the big teeth, I am waiting to see him get as ass blown away, he is to much trouble.

I dig the show a lot and I too will be waiting for next season..

What was everyones favorite episode??

Part 1 of the season finale was pretty damn good.

[bounce]
View Quote

The redneck partner you're talking about, his name is Shane Vendrell. Yeah, the guy's got some strange-looking dental alignment there. It makes you wonder if he's wearing dentures or not.  ROTFLMAO  

The hubby and I seem to think he's a dumbass too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#17]
The first episode where he blew the other cop away. Not because of the murder, but the music, the scenography, the timing were all perfect. Violent song, violent sight. It struck me as being the best tv I have ever seen. It is like the Helicopter scene in Apocolypse Now, poetry in motion.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Vick is a no good punk and deserves a bullet in the skull the way he did in that other cop. Nobody's above the law and if you all think otherwise we might as well just burn the frickin' Constitution right now.

Now that I'm done with my rant, it's nevertheless a very entertaining show.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Vick is a no good punk and deserves a bullet in the skull the way he did in that other cop. Nobody's above the law and if you all think otherwise we might as well just burn the frickin' Constitution right now.
View Quote

I think that's why I like the show...every one of the main characters has a dark side, something that makes them fall short.  Except maybe the black lady detective, can't figure out if she has one yet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Another great thing the show actively displays is that the police are in fact above the law in many ways. When the gay black cop thinks about turning in Mackey, the older detective woman tells him that he should only do it if it's very serious and that it's not good to hurt your own fellow officers. She's pretty much implying that unless it was real bad, he shouldn't do it. Also, it's very obvious that the guys on the "Strike Team" cover for each other rather well. Bending the rule once leads to bending and breaking the rules again. Not that this is bad but it certainly proves that those officers are above the law and have can do things with impunity. The same thing works in real life. Free lunches, no speeding tickets ever, etc etc. Don't believe me? Check out the LEO forum on AR15.com and you'll see for yourself. The majority of officers cover for each other. That's the way it should be too. When you work at McDonald's, you get free food right? When you work at a Chevrolet, you get discounts on great cars right? Thus, it's perfectly right for officers to get a few "perks" and "exceptions" in the law. No harm there. Yes, I think not only are the police above the law in some ways, but they deserve it too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I think cops for the most part are above the law.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got to say I love The Shield.Mackey has got  to be one of the most intriguing characters on tv in a long time. There was really long thread on another webpage a little while back just discussing  whether or not Mackey was evil.
I for one think the guy just evil! Like someone said he whacked another cop! I kind of pissed me off the way he played concerned for the cops that got shot...yeah right! But its ok when he does it?!
Mackey is a guy who uses his job for his own  selfish purposes and just happens to do some good while committing his crimes. Some of you may like Mackey but what happens when a guy like needs a fall guy an YOUR the only poor S.O.B around?.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Mackey ROCKS.
Moral Ambiguity is the term, I think.
Real Life situations and emotions to the extreme, on your TV, in the comfort of your living room.
How much Truth is there, I don't know.  
I do know I'm looking forward to next season.

In this Season Finale, when Mackey goes home to NOBODY; the house is still trashed and he gets the message from his wife that she and the kids are gone...
you can see the realization of his not being there and just expecting they all would be, all the time.
He throws his badge down, kneels and weeps at the irony of what he is and does.
GREAT TV!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I felt bad for vic when he went home to no family.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top