Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2003 9:34:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, I think I am going to slow down next time I go up to my parents house...
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
We plow deer during the rut on a regular basis in northern, northern California, especially during the rut.  We had one of our guys that was like a deer magnet hitting three in a month.  We put those goofy deer warning whistles on the front bumper and he hit another one a month later.  We called him the deerslayer after that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#3]
This was posted here a while back. It was scary back then, too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
ROTFLMAO!  Better than a jaywalking ticket. Glad the ofcr wasn't hurt (I hope).

Officer: 100 points
Deer:      0 points

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
yea, seems funny now, but when it actually happens to ya, it ranks at the pucker factor of 10.5 (personal recollection).
a week ago, someone called and said that she was representing greenpeace and wanted to know if we were the agency that had hit that deer.  we, of course, did not and when asked why, she said that she was trying to track down the agency and attempt to file charges against the officer and county for allowing the video to be released; she said that the video was cruelty to animals and that the deer should've been considered in releasing the video.  i asked her why she called my county and she replied that she was calling every county that starts with an 'M' because that is what is on that squad car.  
i hope that someone has notified the deer's relatives...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
D'OHHHHHH!!!!

b910, youve gotta be frickin kidding me...

guess i better get that racecar smashing the jackrabbit mpg off of my computer!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#7]
i wish i was, but all i could do is laugh.  maybe greenpeace should worry about all those rats i've been shooting all these years... oh-oh, now i've done it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Reminds me of the time I saw another officer hit a cow in the road.  People called in complaints because the cow had to be put down.  Noone seemed to be worried about the officer who was carried to the ER by ERT.  
The cow pretty much desimated the Crown Vic.
I was pretty mad when I found out about the complaints.  Some people have their priorites all messed up.
BTW- The officer did recover fully and is still working full-time, with a new patrol car.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
good for that car!  sucks for the fleet accident report!

c
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Like that vid?  Check this one out: [url]http://69.44.58.76/media/lion.wmv[/url]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have the story on the deer strike video?  I can see that the officer was running code somewhere - anyone know what the call was?  Looks like the cruiser was a loss, how was the officer?

I grew up in the farm country of Northwest Ohio and deer strikes were common.  I had several friends in high school that lost their first cars to deer.

Dave
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know for sure but heard the guy was ok.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone tell the band and song on the video?
Sounds like Journey.
We had a semi hit a 1000 cow a while back.
The driver said the cow went flying also.
I will never think of that song the same way.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#14]
The band is Boston.

I still want to see the video of the guy who hit the deer on a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#15]
The e-mail we got at the office said the guy was going 110 mph and was responding to an accident with injuries.  Don't know much else though.

Currently my tally is up to 4 deer now.  2 in squad, 2 in personal car.  The most damage was to my personal car on the way home from work on deer opener weekend.  The worst one with the squad was a buck that though he could jump over the car.  Took out the turn signal, front fender, spotlight, mirror, and windshield.  The worst of it is that the damn thing didn't get injured.  We tracked it for about 1/2 mile and only saw 1 small drop of blood.

Most of the deer around here are so used to seeing cars, that they just sit in the ditch and watch you drive by, even when running code.  We dispatch quite a few though, and lately I've been using my rifle with 60 gr. TAP.  It works like a charm.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I still want to see the video of the guy who hit the deer on a motorcycle.
View Quote

I'd like to see that too!  I've seen monkeys drive motorcycles, but not a deer on a motorcycle yet.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#17]
... If I'm not mistaken, that looks like an MCSO car (Maricopa County Sheriff Office) Arizona.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#18]
If you live in a rural area and drive at night, a deer hit is almost inevitable, unfortunately.  Most people think driving 55 at night that they will have time to react, but a lot of deer don't just trot across the road, they bolt, and there just isn't time to react.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#19]
The messiest animal strike I've ever seen was just north of Williston, ND last year. A guy driving a Ford Explorer was flying down the highway at night. Most of the highways up here are unlit and out in the county it gets black. A bunch of horses had gotten onto the roadway and he slams into three of them. The first one went over the hood and into the windshield. The second crated the front left quarter and the third was knocked down and jambed under the vehicle. Talk about a smelly mess. The horses were torn to pieces. The guy got away with only minor injuries. He apparently ducked down behind the dash just before hiting the first horse.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#20]
2 deer.

1 Labrador (at about 105 mph, that sucked).

1 DUI vehicle.

1 telephone pole.

1 suspect vehicle.

1 suspect (just a bump, really [:D]).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top