Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2001 10:59:37 PM EDT
I have to check my AR into campus police station while i'm living in the dorms. Some of the cops that check my AR in said the darndest things when they first saw it. One female officer said, "This looks like a military rifle." Another officer said, "What's this". And still another said, "Kind of looks like the M16 I use to carry." The darndest one was, "I was looking for you. Someone said you had guns in your room." Someone close ratted me out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:11:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Just make sure you visit it regularly and maybe apply your own lock to it if possible.

[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I would keep the bolt carrier group if i was you.

James
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I would only give them the serialized part, the lower reciever.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not just the cops.  When I was in school, I made the mistake of having a friend over to my place.

"WOW!  WHAT'S IN THERE????"

"Nothing."

"NO!  NO!  REALLY, WHAT'S IN THERE?????"

"Nothing.  Let's go."

"WHAT'S IN THERE?????????  TELL ME, DUDE.  WHAT!?!?  GUNS??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

"Yes, yes, if you must know I do have a gun or two.  I like to hunt.  Let's go.  And, please keep this quiet.  This is a personal thing to me, and I don't want anybody else to hear about it."

"I won't say a thing."

Within about 24 hours, everybody in school knew.  There are some things even very good friends cannot, just cannot shut the fuck up about.  He said "I didn't tell anybody."  I listed a couple of people, and then it was "I only told one person, I thought you wouldn't mind..."  Non gun owners can't help it,  Whenever they say words like "GUN" or "BULLET" they just have to frikkin' yell it out, no matter how many times you tell them to keep their voice down.

You can rest assured that by now, whoever knows anything al all about you, such as your first name, knows that you have GUNS.  And BULLETS.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#5]
It does'nt do you much good if you cant keep it in your own room, I'd rather leave it at Moms house than to leave it with a stranger or a bunch of strangers. Yes I agree: At least keep the Bolt and Carrier so they cant go nuts on you with your own gun
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Dude, send me your AR now!
By the time you graduate from there you will be a brainwashed liberal commienazi with a hairy smelly feminazi chick for a girlfriend and a card carrying member of the Rosie O'Donnel man haters club.
You will also have become sensitive, you will care about giving your hairy girlfriend orgasms before you get satisfied (if she will let you), you will be a member of the Democratic party, you will have Hillary Clintons name tatooed on your inner thigh.
Send to me NOW!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]
WTF, you mean Hillary isn't your hero yet?[img]www.debunker.com/images/sainth.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#8]
My school (U of Delaware) wants 24 hours notice before i bring my paintball gun by to drop it off, and 24 hours notice before i pick it up from the vault.  I emailed them about leaving my three-gun gear in the vault, i bet the captain is gonna crap his pants, because i asked about storing 500 rounds of .223, 250 rounds of birdshot, 50 slug and 50 buckshot, along with 500 rounds of .45 and an Ar15, 870 and 1911, and if i could just store the serial numbered parts and ammo in the vault and the other parts in my dorm.  It will be quite interesting to see his response.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I had to deal with that issue when I was going to school.  Luckily, I was a married veteran living in on-campus married housing, not in a dorm.  
The campus DPS tried to tell me I couldn't have guns in my place, that I had to lock them up in their armory.  I told them I didn't think they had room, then very politely pointed out the paragraph in the university housing regs that specifically stated people in married housing were exempt from that particular rule.  They weren't happy.

I was living in a state that required you to get a permit to purchase from your local PD prior to buying a handgun, said permit only being good for 10 days.  The pricks at DPS wanted to know the make, model, serial number of the gun BEFORE giving you a permit.  So much for getting a permit, then going to look for a good deal at a gun show (you could still get a deal at a gun show, back then).  When a buddy of mine went to get a permit to buy a Sig 226, the cop at the counter gave him all kinds of shit.  "What do YOU need one of those for?  Those are the guns WE carry, and you don't need one!"  Elitist bastards.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
CrookShanks,

Not until she shaves her head and gets burned at the stake [:D]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Kharn, please take a camera.  I want to see the look on his face when you make that request.

Really.

I feel for ya Freedom Fighter.  It's nice being in a place where the mention of guns only brings a "oh, cool" response.

Yes, I'm speakig about the great state of Texas. [:D]

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Dude, wont your parents hold it for you, or maybe a buddie in town?  With all the school shootings the college bred(the worst)liberals will make you famous!  They'll portray you as some closet "clock tower" student.  There will be lines a mile long of liberals at the deans office to complain.  Dont forget the local media, they'll want to get a sound bite of the terrified student who lives in fear of being a mass shooting victim, from the guy who got an "F".  Ok ok, I'm going a littl overboard, but you get my drift.  Right?

If you do wind up depositing it with the campus cops, keep the bolt carrier group with you.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I was waiting to hear:

"You don't mind if I search your_____ Do you?"

Like he really cares if you do.

[beer]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the advice. I will keep the upper and just turn in the lower. That way I can clean the upper in my room after I go shooting. However, I'm keeping my handgun in my dorm. College kids are crazy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]
However, I'm keeping my handgun in my dorm. College kids are crazy.
View Quote

You will get expelled.  I hope it's worth it to you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Freedon Fighter, I will not even attempt to talk you out of keeping that handgun in your dorm room.  However, I will give you a couple of pointers: Be sure you NEVER EVER tell ANY of your friends you have the weapon.  Trust me when I say that your 2 best friends you have not even met yet.  Also, be sure that YOU have the maturity to NEVER draw that weapon unless you really truely fear for your very life.  Nothing short of imminent death should cause you to draw that weapon.  If some of the students are drunk and urinating on your cornflakes, do not get ticked off so badly that you draw that weapon.

It's a gutsy call to keep it there but I respect your decision.  Use extreme caution (I know you already know this...).  Can't fault a man for wanting to protect himself.

CMOS

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Freedom Fighter:
Thanks for the advice. I will keep the upper and just turn in the lower. That way I can clean the upper in my room after I go shooting. However, I'm keeping my handgun in my dorm. College kids are crazy.
View Quote

Keeping a handgun in your room is a BAD idea. I commute to school, but I don't even leave ammo in my truck. It is overly cautious I know but you never know what kind of things anti-gun administrators are going to come up with next. If you are going to do it be very careful. I believe it's a felony, and obviously you would be expelled. Good luck  
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is a similar story..NEVER! I MEAN NEVER put your weapons in the base armory if you are in the service (I know we are talking campus dorms here...but, heed these words of my experience)....I had to keep my semi auto rifles in the base armory while living in the barracks (I used to keep them in my locker until my security buddy advise me otherwise;-)...they keept them in this huge room (bunker) in these safes with pull out racks. I thought ,"Cool, safe and secure in style." They had a huge dehumidifier in the room. I figured my stuff was all safe and secure....wrong...as the fuc#ing moron pulled out the rack in one of the safes....three pristine m60s go falling on the floor and sideways into the bulkhead. "Huh, uh-oh this dipshit says. Everybody else just rolled there eyes,and one guy says,"Yeah, they'll be safe." Since I had little choice in the matter (I was new and had no friends off base)....needless to say I sweat till I left a year later. Luckily they fared well in the safe.
That's not the bad part.....two years into my new duty station I get a visit from NIS (Navy equivilant to the FBI)....at my home no less far away from any military base..."I am so an so from the NIS...Agent"blah-blah" from the ATF was going to come over but I figured I do it for him (FIRST FUCKING LIE of many)..this dumbshit tried to make me squirm and admit something I had never done. I told him to leave and send over ATF agent "blah-blah" so I could converse with someone educated in firearms and firearm laws,and to stop lying and trying to twist my words to fit his plan. He swore the ATF would be by and my CO would have my @ss...I called the NRAs legal eagle folks and they advised me it sounded like he was hoping to scare me into some false confession.....anyway it turns out a gunner's mate where I had my weapons stored thought he should drop a dime to do his part to curb crime and rat on a shipmate. What an asshole..I still think it was the dumb@ss that dropped those 60s.

..oh yeah, I had one Colt Sporter and a SKS.

-rigid
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#20]
A friend of mine was in a similar situation when we were both in the AF.  He lived on base, single officer housing (BOQ).  He had a Beretta .25 that he had carried in his pocket the whole time he was in VietNam.  So he checked his little pistola in the group's armory, did all the paperwork etc.  The guy who ran the armory really admired his Beretta. A couple of months later, he got a call from the same guy:  the Beretta was stolen.  "No need to come down, I'll take care of the paperwork."

To make a long story short, the clown had stolen it and was carrying it around.  He bought a cheapo holster, but never ammo.  Strange guy.  The AF OSI returned his pistol & he gave it to me as I had a state pistol permit & he didn't (we were both out of the AF by then).

Moral of the story?  Leave your goodies with someone you trust.  Find a secure storage facility, not the campus cop wannabe.  At the very least, keep most of it & only leave the lower there.

Norm
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Freedom Fighter,

not only take the bolt carrier group, but the spring, etc in the stock, and any cleaning kit in the stock. Then: put a trigger lock on the trigger group, AND a cable lock through the mag well and ejection port. Oh- and seal up both ends of the barrel with some sort of plug. Why? Here's why- a Canadian buddy of mine is from Hamilton, Ontario, where the PD locks up EVERYBODY'S guns- if you have a gun, it must be stored with the armourer at the local PD. He had an SKS- the cops used to like to go out and shoot it- with corrosive ammo... and put it back w/o cleaning....

Campus cops, in my experience as a student and teacher/instructor, are usually jerks who are two steps above the Shopping Mall Ninja- don't tempt them.

BTW- if they come by, knock on your door, and say they want to "have a look around", i.e., search your room (if you are still living on campus), tell 'em to get a search warrant from a judge FIRST, then shut the door- it's (still) the law. At Boston College, the campus PD tried the same thing on one guy who was receiving Guns&Ammo by subscription in his campus mail- some lib/sheep in the mail room dimed him out... no, he had no guns in his room, BTW.

95th Foot

"A gun in the hands of a free man frightens and angers the autocrat,
not because he fears the power of the gun, but, rather, the spirit of
the man who holds it."

Anon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Freedon Fighter, I will not even attempt to talk you out of keeping that handgun in your dorm room.  However, I will give you a couple of pointers: Be sure you NEVER EVER tell ANY of your friends you have the weapon.  Trust me when I say that your 2 best friends you have not even met yet.  Also, be sure that YOU have the maturity to NEVER draw that weapon unless you really truely fear for your very life.  Nothing short of imminent death should cause you to draw that weapon.  If some of the students are drunk and urinating on your cornflakes, do not get ticked off so badly that you draw that weapon.

It's a gutsy call to keep it there but I respect your decision.  Use extreme caution (I know you already know this...).  Can't fault a man for wanting to protect himself.

CMOS

View Quote

There is nothing more testing than a drunk college student. They will push your self control to the limit. Screaming, yelling, and loud music at 2:00 in the morning until 4:00. Many times I would lie in bed, my right hand reaching out toward my gun as if I was using the force to summon up the God of Silence. Fortunately, I usually let the cops deal with it. However, I would only draw if a crime was being commited like a beating, which happend here recently, rapes, or if someone wanted to get it on with me. Drunk kids like to fight.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Fredom Fighter

Be VERY careful with a handgun in your room. Nothing short of endangerment to your OWN life should remove your pistol from its hiding place.

Drunk college kids who like to fight should be dealt with by other means. Beer bottle, baseball bat, or something.[;)] A handgun on campus will get your ass in a sling in a hurry.

Heed CMOS's advice:
Tell NO ONE you have this handgun-EVER,
don't use it as a threat,
just pretend it doesn't exist,
and make sure you have a real good hiding place in your room.

I say all this because I got caught with a handgun in my dorm 'bout 15 years ago and you'd thought I was a mass murderer. I can only imagine what the attitudes on campus are like now.

I can respect your decision to keep the gun, but by all means be damn careful.

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Good luck in surviving higher education. I met more ignorant liberals in college than I care to remember. The only good thing that resulted in going to school was a degree and the friends I had in my fraternity. They were a great bunch of good ole boys who liked to hunt and shoot. If I were you I'd try and find a place off campus and keep your AR in the right hands, yours!
[img] http://www.animfactory.com/animations/flags_poles/us_state_flags/kentucky_md_clr.gif [/img]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:49:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Freedom Fighter,

not only take the bolt carrier group, but the spring, etc in the stock, and any cleaning kit in the stock. Then: put a trigger lock on the trigger group, AND a cable lock through the mag well and ejection port. Oh- and seal up both ends of the barrel with some sort of plug. Why? Here's why- a Canadian buddy of mine is from Hamilton, Ontario, where the PD locks up EVERYBODY'S guns- if you have a gun, it must be stored with the armourer at the local PD. He had an SKS- the cops used to like to go out and shoot it- with corrosive ammo... and put it back w/o cleaning....

Campus cops, in my experience as a student and teacher/instructor, are usually jerks who are two steps above the Shopping Mall Ninja- don't tempt them.

BTW- if they come by, knock on your door, and say they want to "have a look around", i.e., search your room (if you are still living on campus), tell 'em to get a search warrant from a judge FIRST, then shut the door- it's (still) the law. At Boston College, the campus PD tried the same thing on one guy who was receiving Guns&Ammo by subscription in his campus mail- some lib/sheep in the mail room dimed him out... no, he had no guns in his room, BTW.

95th Foot

"A gun in the hands of a free man frightens and angers the autocrat,
not because he fears the power of the gun, but, rather, the spirit of
the man who holds it."

Anon.
View Quote

Hey 95thfoot,

Are you at BC?  I went there for a year and dropped the fuck out.  Couldn't stand the place.  Now I'm out west and love it.  We're allowed guns in our rooms here, until next year that is (friggin liberals). Its gettin bad everywhere. And yea, BC police suck. That whole school sucks actually.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 4:11:40 AM EDT
[#26]
My roommate sorta witnessed a rape during our first semester here at UDel.  Down on a different floor, everybody was having fun at a party, a mildly intoxicated girl and guy walk off together to the girl's room.  Door closes, locks, and then stuff starts getting thrown around and lots of yelling and screaming from inside the room, while everyone is banging on the door trying to get in.  Before someone could fetch the Hall Director with the keys to the room, the guy comes out, throws the condom in the nearest trash can and walks away.  Nobody could stop him, he just kept walking.  Of course, girl was mostly like "what the hell just happened?  Did you guys stop him from getting away?"  Those are the kind of situations i would want to have an Asp, at the least, at my disposal for.  They still havent been able to find the a**hole.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Heed CMOS's advice:
Tell NO ONE you have this handgun-EVER,
don't use it as a threat,
just pretend it doesn't exist,
and make sure you have a real good hiding place in your room.
View Quote

It won't work.  Somebody will see a magazine, hear that you went shooting, or maybe find out you have a friggin' lower on campus and POOF! the cat is out of the bag and everybody knows you have guns and lots of them (I don't care how many you actually have, that will be irrelevent).

Keep that handgun out of your dorm if you want to keep your ass in school.  Do a quick cost-benefit analysis and really consider the chances of you needing that goddamn gun.

EXPELLED = YOU ARE SO FUCKED
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#28]
it is for reasons like this that i refuse to go to collage. i simply will not relinquish my firearms to anyone. dude, get an apartment off campuss. they cant regulate you if you arent there.

stay clean, and dont goto any of there damn parties. later you can tell them what fools they were and how many times they were arrested for petty stuff while "the gun toting nut" was the class-a student.

make them look bad, thats why they hate us.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#29]
I've worked at colleges/universities for 16 years... my .02 worth:

1) DO NOT KEEP A FIREARM IN YOUR ROOM!  It is a federal offense; and an administrator (even a pro-gun one like me)will turn you and your weapon over to law enforcement.

2) Transfer....   The state institutions are pretty much a lost cause.  There are still private colleges that allow firearms on campus for recreational purposes.  Look for one that has an active rifle or trap/skeet team.  That will tell you a lot about how firearms are viewed at that school.

3) If all else fails, move off campus into an apartment!
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#30]
went to visit a friend up at St. Cloud State U, MN for some drinking in the dorm room-to make a short story long, we drank almost 2 liters of vodka between the 3 of us there.  Needless to say we were a little drunk.  Well it was time to piss and i went on down to the bathroom-some floor monitor or someone came by and stopped me.  What are you doing? (pissing) why are you here (to piss) who are you here with (friend) What room (room #) so after that I went back to the room to sleep.  a couple hours later POUND POUND POUND on the door I get up to answer (hoping for drunk women or something) and it was the campus security!  apparently someone that had a shirt like mine stole some tapes from another room in the tower.  The cops came in and searched through everything they even posted a rent a bum below the window in case we "tried  to ditch the evidence"  of course we were still wasted and just sat there while they dug through all the drawers.  They then brought up the dumb bitches that made the accusation and let THEM search the room.  Of course they found the condoms, girlie mags holding them up and having a good laugh with the security officers.  Of course they did not find shit because we did not leave the room that night except to drain.  The moral of the story is-do not let them in-we did not think it would be a problem because we did nothing wrong (cept fer da underage drinkin) and they walked all over us and abused our rights.  I would also discourage having a pistol (or ANY gun on campus)  The good old days are over.  Liberals run the schools.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Freedom Fighter, You may need to do an occasional re-examination of your risks on campus vs: risks keeping a firearm. The greatest risk on most campuses are thefts which would happen while you are out of the room, no benefit vs: SERIOUS consequences. If you are a woman you should consider sexual assault risks, but these would likely happen going to or from a party when you would not be carrying, again no benefit. I believe everyone should make thier own choices so I would not presume to tell you what to do, just offer some advice.
   I might suggest augmenting or replacing the gun on campus with a couple of knives, an inexpensive chef's knife in the room (explaination if found, " That's not allowed?, I like to cook and didn't know." ) and a good folder or neck knife for all the time carry. You don't have to spend a lot of money on these so if lost, stolen, disposed of, or confiscated you are not out a lot of $$. Check out the Cold Steel offerings, they make an awesome copy of Barry Dawson's "spike" for around 25 bucks.
   Just some free advice, worth every penny you paid for it.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top