Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2003 7:22:48 AM EDT
My wife & I have often debated this issue. She is of the mind that words that sound the same , or words that remind her of other words are just as bad as saying the offensive word, because others will think you said the worst possible word. I use the word freaking, & it bugs here, because she thinks it's the same a the big "F" word, which I don't use. Freak in the dictionary means an extreme fan of someone or something. Like I am a Jesus freak. To me it means I am an extreme fan of Jesus. If I said please move your freaking car, to me it means move the car you are obviously in love with. Nothing more. She thinks it means move your F***ing car! We don't use words like Lord, Jesus, God, in a casual manner as we hold those words to be sacred, or any words that would be considered a cuss word. I will occasionally use the word ass, but that is about the farthest I go with it. So what words do you find to be chicken swearing?, & do you agree with my wife that saying freaking is the same as saying the big "F"?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Tell your wife if she doesn't stop being so darn picky your whole freaking marriage will go all to heck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#2]

If that's the issue then why use any of the 'offending' terms at all ???

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Cause I freaking want to![lol]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
[:D]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Next time you are eating and she gives you grief, pick up your utensil and say "Fork you."
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I think George Carlin answered this question a long, long time ago when he said; "Shoot is just shit with two O's"
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I think your wife has too much shit to worry about.  Tell her if she has the time to worry about whether euphemisms are as bad as the words they replace, she should start working for charity until she's too tired to think about something so utterly unimportant.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#9]
"freak the freaking freakers" [:D]

NsB
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a teacher that used to lecture us about 'replacement words'.  She seemed to think that the use of Gosh, Dang, Shoot, Frick, Heck, were just as bad as the actual curse words.

I said "dangit!  What the heck?!" in her class one time, and she gave me this, "You should just use the real words.  It's just as bad!"

So I did.

"DAMMIT!  WHAT THE HELL?!"

She promptly sent me to the principals office.
So apparently, she didn't even buy her own BS.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't give two flux about that chit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#12]
[lolabove] Yous guys are HELLaireous!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#13]
chicken swearing?

is that like calling someone a [b]mother plucker?[/b]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I once told the driver of a cookie delivery truck [b]"I hate the way you Mother's truckers drive!"[/b]  He laughed.  I think he'd heard it before.

[img]http://www.kbpwest.com/assets/images/mo_pr_taffy_fs.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#15]
your confusing FREAKING with FRIKIN...i see frikin as a subsitute for the f word, i see freaking as a completely not related word derived from "freaking out"
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
your confusing FREAKING with FRIKIN...i see frikin as a subsitute for the f word, i see freaking as a completely not related word derived from "freaking out"
View Quote

In that case... "frik the friking frikers" [lol]

NsB
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#17]
This is the craziest smurfing topic I've smurfing seen in a long smurfing while.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#18]
falkland islands?

what falkin' islands? i don see no falkin' islands!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Hope I am not too off topic, but here goes. It sounds as though you "may" be a Christian. If you are, and the thrust of my commentary is aimed at what chicken swearing is from a Christ based stand point.

As a follower of the Lord, we are NOT supposed to cause a fellow Christian to stumble. Whether it be by word or dead. If by chicken swearing you may cause your wife to stumble, you should not do it. It to her is apparently of a sinful nature and hateful to her ears. Soooo.... even though it is innocent to you, a verbal crutch for yourself, you are bound to not do it in front of her lest you unhappily cause her to stumble and perhaps start doing it herself. And to her, chicken swearing is evil or what-have-you.

So, in short, dont do it in front of her if you seek to build her up spiritually, and not knock her down.

Hope this is not too out of left field for the topic.

Dram out
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Watch your language, you fargin' ice-holes!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#21]
For those offended by the word spelled F...U....C...K  and forms of that word.

If I say, "I had a f**king good time at the party last night." The word f**king has no offensive or sexual meaning to it, but it is just giving more emphasis to the word "good". It is like I would say, "I had a very,very ,very good time at the party last night." But the word "f**king" takes place of the "very, very, very" with even more intense feeling.
If I say ,"Ah, F*ck!!" if I made a mistake on something, or did something wrong, " It is just a more intense way of saying, "Oh, DARN IT!!"

Again let's look at 4 letters of the alphabet. One is "F", the other is ,"U", then, "C" and last is "K" . Now put them together and you form a word.  A WORD
A WORD

YOU PEOPLE ARE AFRAID/OFFENDED BY A WORD.

With all the bad people and bad things in the world happening, the last thing I ever get offended by is a word. I can't see how anyone who can be so offended by a 4-letter word can even handle the real evils happening in the world.
If I could wake up one day and the WORST thing in the whole wide world that happened is that everyone woke up and yelled "F*CK!!". The world would be a great place.

So I hope my opinion on those being offended by profanity  didn't "freaking" hurt anyones feelings. Because as ya'll know "freaking" is harmless until you change the "rea" of freaking to "uc" and the new word will kill you.

edited to say that we are told and taught as young kids that 4-letter words like "f*ck" are bad, but are never told really WHY. But if you are a kid and say "frick" instead, that's okay, but no one can give you a straight answer WHY. The answer is usually, " Because I said so."

So basically "F*ck" is a bad word ONLY because people say it is, not because of any of the many un-offensive meanings that it holds.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife told me tonight I could say freaking around her all I want, because she knows what I mean by it. She just doesn't want me saying it in any public place, or with someone who might mistake my meaning around.

I bet you it would be really easy to offend you Armaliter, using just a well chosen word, or two, & weather you realize it or not words are very powerful.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Sing it with me now, boys:

the universal adjective is f*ckin' up my life
lost my job, my house, my car,
I even lost my f*ckin' wife

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Watch your language, you fargin' ice-holes!
View Quote

"You lousy cork-suckers. You have violated my fargin rights. This suminum batching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens, like me, could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes like yourselves."

It's been a looong time since I've heard reference to that movie.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:28:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:54:19 AM EDT
[#26]
308wood,

Well, you must not know any real Christians then. Real Christians are humble people and seek to serve others and not themselves. And by your little speech there... you dont appear to be one. Too bad for you. Holier than thou people have a sketchy grasp of Christs wishes for us, and how we are to interact with the world.

Dram out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:06:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:29:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
chicken swearing?

is that like calling someone a [b]mother plucker?[/b]
View Quote

Your a [b]Dumb Cluck[/b]  [;)]

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:05:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Proverbs 18:21
Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit.

James 1:26
If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless.

James 3:5
So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!

James 3:6
And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.
View Quote

This is probably one of the most relevant scriptures for this question. Jesus is speaking.

Matt 12:33-36
33 "Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? [b]For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.[/b] 35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 [b]But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken."[/b]
NIV

I still say it every now and then myself, but I know it's not pleasing to God. God is Holy, and anything even slightly off color displeases Him.

I really want to please God no matter what man thinks of it. I don't have to stand in front of men someday, it's God who will ultimately judge my life.

I have a simple rule....if I would not say it in Jesus's presence, I should never say it. After all, He is everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey 308wood,Q: do you know what the funniest things about the bible is?

A: A person who hasn't received Jesus as their personal Savior,(AKA Non Christian)can't really begin to understand very much of the bible!!![lol][rofl2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top