Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 2:10:31 PM EDT

My major question is this will be a tactical rifle that I will practice with before my deployments to the desert and I know you cannot go wrong with any ar-15 for practice I just want suggestions on a plain-jane ar-15 with or w/o the handle and what I should add to it for any mods if needed. I have shot the A2 alot and have used the iron sights but I have figured out here that maybe adding one later might work as well and still have the rail to add other items.  

I think I am more confused now than I was since I read everything everyone else is doing to their rifles and I go "that sounds good maybe I should do that". Information is a killer.

I also shoot my 9mm and 45acp tauruses and also my 2 enfield rifles alot.  Lately my 9mm because that is my primary weapon but I will go to the field and they will only let us carry rifles if we have a good understanding of the M-16.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a flat top.  

Then you have whatever you wish to configure...

What branch of service are you?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I am in the Air Force but I was told that the Army is short on Transportation Officers for their convoy duties and they are putting AF Logistics officers into that postion for their convoy's slots.  I was in Army ROTC before AFROTC and learned some of what the army does and the AF is trying to help the army out as much as possible.  

After my deployement this winter I will be going to a Contigency Respose Group to take over a Flight there and the mission is get an airfield up and running to bring in more troops and equipment but for 3 days the group will be the only people on the ground and I want to be ready and not have to rely on others to keep me safe.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Try to replicate whatever weapon you will be issued overseas.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I see some clapsable M-4's and some with a solid stock.  Which one would be best?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally prefer a four or five position collapsible. That is also what the military puts on M4s.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as the collapsible stock is concerned, the VLTOR is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
If your an Officer you will probably get issues an M-4/flattop with M-68 and an M-9 pistol. If your gonna buy a rifle get the M-4, most units are going over to them anyways.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As far as the collapsible stock is concerned, the VLTOR is the only way to go.

I would disagree. SOPMOD and M93B are also excellent stocks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:12:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help I know have a better idea on what to look for.  Still debating on where to buy the kit.  I am actually thinking of getting a A-2 top because this will also be a shtf weapon when/if it does (when is more appropriate).  Do not what it to fall off or anything and I really do not like to rely on electronics alot.  (And I am in the Air Force dont figure) Well take care and any and all suggestions are always helpful.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:18:22 AM EDT
[#10]
If you can get it, get a carbine.  There is not allot of long range shooting and you are getting in and out of a vehicle all the time, the shorter a weapon the better.

One of the biggest things you have to remember is most who advise on weapons in the US (and net specifically) have never used a weapon outside of the square range.  Although many are very knowledgeable, you have to sometimes take what they say with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I am going to take some tactical courses here taught by a few retired marines and also how to chamber a round when you are leaving your vehicle since I was told we can't have a round chambered when we are riding.  (Think that is BS but what do I know) but I will get a carbine my only problem is trying to find the best deal for it and there are a ton of options that I might or might not use.  

Scott
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#12]
For what itss  worth. I am a sniper(not doing much sniper missions however) in Iraq.  I have a new M4 with EVERY accy you could want to put on it.  Put alot of the items on it, tried it for awhile and you know what I have now?  Everything came off save for the M68 CCO and the carry handle.
 Its a rifle not a damn duplo toy.Thats just my opinion....if I need other items I put them on.  Only other item I ever put on is Tac light.
Stuck in Iraq for another 10 months.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:11:01 AM EDT
[#13]
ffhounddog

Here's the deal.  If your coming over as an individual augmentee (not a part of a unit) you'll get an Beretta and/or and M16A2/A4 (you have to bitch and moan to get a rifle, but it can be done).  M4s are being fielded to Army units, slow but sure.  If you're coming with your unit, you get what you get.  Most AF guys have a carbine length rifle with an A2 upper, though I've seen the whole range of things.  The contracting guys are buying all kinds of rifle variations because pistols  suck in this fight.

I've tried to bolt-on gear with the issue rifle.  Back to basics for me -- Holosight and tac light.  I put the plastic handguards back on (turned in that heavy aluminum forearm set and bought an aluminim single picitinny rail that goes under the handguard.)  I've bought a BUIS (waiting on it to get here) because I can't get one through supply.

After nearly 20 years of doing this, I've learned that KISS applies to anything for SHTF.  IMHO -- buy a 16" barrel, a collapsable stock, flat-top rifle and a good optic.  You'll be all set then.  If you can't get AA batteries for your holosight 552, you've got problems that one rifle won't solve.  Don't neglect your magazines.  Buy good ones, buy lots of them.  Put numbers on them so you can tell them apart.  At the first sign of trouble, crush it and throw it away.  You'll need a boresnake and a toothbrush to keep the rifle clean.  Get something you like to keep your mags in.  Eagle molle pouches are great.  Functional is better than cool -- KISS.

If you're doing convoy duty, get to know your intel guy real good.  Get a brief when you go out, give him a back brief when you get in -- it will help the next guy going out.  Know damned sure how to use the radios, where all the camps with gas & medics are located.  Get yourself one of the "road atlas" maps from your topo support unit -- they make 'em in theater.  GPS works even better with a map.

Don't bring too much stuff -- just the basics.  Issue field kit, weapons cleaning gear, swiss army knife or multi-tool, sharpening stone, shortwave radio or .mp3 player, ballistic glasses, and gloves.  All that other "tactical" gear just isn't needed and it's more crap you have to keep track of.

Good luck.  We're waiting for you to get here.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:52:53 AM EDT
[#14]
All thanks for the help on the weapon I think I have found the best one for the price.  http://www.cavalryarms.com/scout.html
I like the style and I have always wanted a M16A1 since I saw the green berets with john wayne.  Also I got to talk to the assembly line people and some of the design team and that was a help.  I do not think I could call Colt or Bushmaster and get that kind of recomendation.  Also it is less things that can go wrong with a full stock.  Saw a guy at the range this week and he got is retractble stock stuck and was taking it apart to fix it.  I do not know how he did it I didnt ask didnt want to embarasses him.  Also my wife I think would like it better lighter and less things to break.  I am thinking KISS here.

I just bought a blackhawk assultpack and that is about the only thing I am bringing that and books that I have not read yet and nomex gloves.  (They are paperback my colonol had the same reaction.)

Scott
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:57:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Forgot to say I am trying to get there as fast as I can to help out.  Went to a Conference this week and we are going to take more Army tasking because the Army is how do I say this "tired" hope that does not offend anyone.  And thanks again.  I will wait until I get issued the gear.  I have not been told where I will be going but it is going to be with the army and not a airbase according to my boss.  That does not phase me any.  One of my civilians that I work with is a First Sargent in the Guard so he has introduce me to Army "life" a bit.

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top