Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 11:12:47 PM EDT
WonderCon '06: Holy Terror, Batman!
Batman kicks Al Qaeda's ass. Frank Miller's talks about upcoming book.
by Hilary Goldstein
February 12, 2006 - During his WonderCon panel, Frank Miller discussed his next graphic novel. Once again, Miller returns to the world of the Batman, this time with Holy Terror, Batman!. Though the title plays with Robin's classic catchphrase, the book deals with a serious subject. Gotham has been attacked by Al Qaeda and Batman sets out to defend the city he loves. The book, which Miller has inked through 120 pages, is expected to run roughly 200 pages total.

Miller proudly announced the title of his next Batman book, which he will write, draw and ink. Holy Terror, Batman! is no joke. And Miller doesn't hold back on the true purpose of the book, calling it "a piece of propoganda," where 'Batman kicks al Qaeda's ass."

The reason for this work, Miller said, was "an explosion from my gut reaction of what's happening now." He can't stand entertainers who lack the moxie of their '40s counterparts who stood up to Hitler. Holy Terror is "a reminder to people who seem to have forgotten who we're up against."

It's been a long time since heroes were used in comics as pure propaganda. As Miller reminded, "Superman punched out Hitler. So did Captain America. That's one of the things they're there for."

"These are our folk heroes," Miller said. "It just seems silly to chase around the Riddler when you've got Al Qaeda out there."

Miller gave warning on our expectations over the visual style of the book. "Be afraid," he said, adding, "I think it's some of the best artwork I've ever done." Miller's career took off with Daredevil, a visual love letter to New York city. In some respects this is an artistic return to his roots. "Gotham City comes under attack, so it involves a lot more industrial landscapes than I've done in years."

"Emotionally, it's really raw," Miller explained. Imagine the powerful rage when someone crosses the "passion between a man and a woman or a man and his city. "

"The Greeks had their Gods and heroes," Miller said. "We have ours." And if you truly consider these characters our mythological figureheads, you have to wonder about their place and purpose in our culture. "What are they there for?" Miller asked, rhetorically. "Are they really going to be saving damned cats from damn trees?"

Watch Out, OBL

He's bloodied the Joker. Outwitted the Riddler. Stood toe to toe with Ra's Al Ghul. Taken down the Black Mask. Now, legendary Batman scribe and artist Frank Miller has seen fit to unleash the Dark Knight's fury upon none other than Al Qaeda itself.

During his WonderCon panel, Frank Miller discussed his next graphic novel. Once again, Miller returns to the world of the Batman, this time with Holy Terror, Batman!. Though the title plays with Robin's classic catchphrase, the book deals with a serious subject. Gotham has been attacked by Al Qaeda and Batman sets out to defend the city he loves. The book, which Miller has inked through 120 pages, is expected to run roughly 200 pages total.

Miller proudly announced the title of his next Batman book, which he will write, draw and ink. Holy Terror, Batman! is no joke. And Miller doesn't hold back on the true purpose of the book, calling it "a piece of propaganda," where 'Batman kicks al Qaeda's ass."

The reason for this work, Miller said, was "an explosion from my gut reaction of what's happening now." He can't stand entertainers who lack the moxy of their '40s counterparts who stood up to Hitler. Holy Terror is "a reminder to people who seem to have forgotten who we're up against."

It's been a long time since heroes were used in comics as pure propaganda. As Miller reminded, "Superman punched out Hitler. So did Captain America. That's one of the things they're there for."

"These are our folk heroes," Miller said. "It just seems silly to chase around the Riddler when you've got Al Qaeda out there."

Miller gave warning on our expectations over the visual style of the book. "Be afraid," he said, adding, "I think it's some of the best artwork I've ever done." Miller's career took off
with Daredevil, a visual love letter to New York city. In some respects this is an artistic return to his roots. "Gotham City comes under attack, so it involves a lot more industrial landscapes than I've done in years."

"Emotionally, it's really raw," Miller explained. Imagine the powerful rage when someone
crosses the "passion between a man and a woman or a man and his city."

"The Greek's had their Gods and heroes," Miller said. "We have ours." And if you truly consider these characters our mythological figureheads, you have to wonder about their place and purpose in our culture. "What are they there for?" Miller asked, rhetorically. "Are they really going to be saving damned cats from damn trees?"

This...could be a total train wreck, but it sounds unbelievably awesome, and is exactly what morons like George Clooney should be focusing on rather than making box-office bombs like Syriana. Remember who our real enemies are, folks.

BATMAN TAKES ON AL QAEDA
By Michelle Malkin · February 13, 2006 01:50 PM
Famed graphic novelist/illustrator Frank Miller is joining the Cartoon Wars. He announced his plans at the WonderCon comic book conference yesterday. Yes!

During his WonderCon panel, Frank Miller discussed his next graphic novel. Once again, Miller returns to the world of the Batman, this time with Holy Terror, Batman!. Though the title plays with Robin's classic catchphrase, the book deals with a serious subject. Gotham has been attacked by Al Qaeda and Batman sets out to defend the city he loves. The book, which Miller has inked through 120 pages, is expected to run roughly 200 pages total.
Miller proudly announced the title of his next Batman book, which he will write, draw and ink. Holy Terror, Batman! is no joke. And Miller doesn't hold back on the true purpose of the book, calling it "a piece of prop[a]ganda," where 'Batman kicks al Qaeda's ass."

The reason for this work, Miller said, was "an explosion from my gut reaction of what's happening now." He can't stand entertainers who lack the moxy of their '40s counterparts who stood up to Hitler. Holy Terror is "a reminder to people who seem to have forgotten who we're up against."

Bravo.

Reader Scott e-mails:

Oddly, Miller's hugely influential reworking of the Batman mythos in the 80's (to a darker, grittier, quasi-vigilante Batman) was intended to be a skewering of the (in Miller's eyes) crazed right-wing fundamentalist police-state Reagan era. For example, Superman was always portrayed as a simple-minded Boy Scout duped into committing war crimes for a warmongering, jingoistic America. But Miller did such a good job of attacking leftish pacifism that his work came across as an endorsement of the tough-on-crime, tough-on-commies attitude. Especially the tough on crime part.
Everything I've read from Miller indicated that his personal politics were very leftish and he intended his work to have strong political overtones, although I never understood what he stood for in such brutally graphic works like Sin City, so I think his politics were more a post-hoc justification.

I don't doubt he is genuinely angry at Al-Qaeda types. I know he always considered right-wing religious fundamentalists his big enemies. Unlike many on the left apparently he's shown the intellectual consistency to realize the Islamists are a much bigger threat to his life and art. Good for him.

Pat at Brainster's Blog, who has followed Miller's work closely, weighs in.

TrackBack <10>

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I now support Frank Miller even more so than I did before.  I shall buy at least 4 copies of this thing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
That Batman Begins movie was pretty f'ing good.  Better than the 1990 Tim Burton movie, for sure.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:11:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll buy it, but I am a bit wary...his politics are pretty far left of center.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:22:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Typical sheeple entertainment, faux hero taking on faux terrorists, I'll pass.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:25:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Mike

So what's your opinion on the old 40's comics with Superman, Captain America, etc. beating the crap out of nazis and imperial Japanese?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:32:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Mike

Yeah, you'd much rather have Batman taking on the cocaine ring run by George HW Bush, Bill Clinton and Olver North, right?  
You're right, Mike...with a fantasy life like yours, you don't NEED comic books.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:33:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

So what's your opinion on the old 40's comics with Superman, Captain America, etc. beating the crap out of nazis and imperial Japanese?

He probably thinks they were fighting on the wrong side.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#8]
The Dark Knight Returns was excellent, as was Batman Begins.  Can't wait to read this one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Jack Chick seems to be the only other comic taking on radical Islam.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Oh my, I can always count on Jack Chick when I need a belly laugh.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well, I have heard there are a few Danish cartoonists who did something along these lines, too.  Now, let me think, what was it that I heard the other night,....hmmmm...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh my, I can always count on Jack Chick when I need a belly laugh.

He must be taking a time out from going after the Dungeons & Dragons players...  lol...  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

WTH is that????
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#15]
It was an accidental pressing of the"SUBMIT" button two times.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It was an accidental pressing of the"SUBMIT" button two times.  

ban him
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top