Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2009 7:55:40 PM EDT
Last week, the wife unit stopped by the local independant gas station to fuel up our Infiniti G35 sedan.  It was basically on empty when she pulled into the station, put about 7.5 gallons of premium fuel into it, drove off, and a mile down the road the car quit.  She called me, I showed up, couldn't get the car to run so we had it towed home.  Fast forward to last weekend, I finally had time to look at it.  The car turns over fine, has spark, so I'm thinking it's a fuel issue.  I do a bit of mechanical work to get to the fuse panel hidden behind the battery, the fuse for the fuel pump is fine (I was hoping the fuel pump had died, leading to the stopped vehicle).  After pulling the fuse and putting it back in place, the car started back up, but ran really rough.  I'm thinking maybe we got some bad gas when she stopped at the station for the fillup.  So, I stopped by the gas station, told the attendant about our problem, he responded that he doesn't by gas at the same station himself, and that if we had a problem it would be up to the fuel company to resolve it.  I told him that I thought maybe we'd gotten some bad gas, with water in it.  He made a note of my complaint, but said  again it would be on the fuel company but he didn't think they would respond to my complaint.  So the G35 sat in my driveway for a week.  This past Friday, I stopped by the gas station again, the clerk told  me that when the fuel company stopped by to fill up the tanks, he reported my complaint.  They apparently looked at the tank for premium fuell and found water in it, telling the clerk that they would pump out the tank and refiill it with good gas.  I said "great, but what does that mean for the G35 I have sitting in my driveway that won't run?"  He responded that I'm on my own, the gas company is responsible for the problem, and they won't do anything.  I told him that I thought they were responsible, since they sold the gas, he told me they wouldn't do anything.  
So today, I siphoned about 6 gallons of gas out of the tank of the car, lots of water in it.  The wife had pulled in nearly on empty, and pumped 7.5 gallons of premium into it, before the pump stated to run really slow so she left.  
I'm planning on calling the gas company on Monday with a complaint, but I'm curious if anyone has ever experienced a similar problem, and what did you do?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this a major chain station, or a mom & pop?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
My brother had the same thing happen years ago.  Truck drove about a mile then quit.  Water in gas.  My friend bought gas last year in his hunting truck, and barely made it back to town.  Same issue, water in gas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Get all of the water you can out of the tank, pour a gallon of methanol in and fill it the rest of the way with clean gas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]
dry the tank, change the fuel filter and try to gravity drain as much as possible,
change the oil and put a gallon of known good fuel in the tank.
Make sure the battery is strong. Crank the engine for 10 seconds, stop set
10 crank 10 set 10. Do this for about 3 cycles. If it doesn't start you got worse
problems. If it does and you get a service engine light go pull the code and
replace what's needed. If no code and runs y@y.
If it doesn't start take to a mechanic unless your truly brave.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a local mom and pop type gas station, owned by a couple of guys out of India or Pakistan (I'm not being derogatory here, these guys might be citizens. but definitely recent to our country)  
Where can I buy straight methonal?  My plan after making sure I'd gotten as much of the gas out of the tank as possible was to add a few containers of some dry gas, or HEET additive to try to bond with the water.  If the weather permits, tomorrow  I'll pull out the rear seat, access the fuel pump opening, make sure the filter isn't clogged and suck out thee rest of the bad gas.  I only got about 6 gallons of gas and water out of it today by siphoning through the fuel filler, did get a fair amount of water in this process, which makes me think I really need to drain the tank thouroughly.  Unfornutely, since the G35 is rear wheel drive, it essentially has a saddle style gas tank over the rear drive shaft, and I can only access the passenger side of the tank through the fuel filler  door.
What should I do, if anything to go back on the gas station for the pain in the ass factor, the bad $20 in gasoline, and my time and tools wasted on cleaning it out?
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#6]
The STATION sold you the gas, the STATION is responsible. After they settle up with you, then THEY can, take it up with the fuel company.

Had this happen many times when I worked in a dealership. 98% of the time, the station would step up to the plate and take care of it.

If they are  not willing to take responsibility. Then you can have it fixed someplace (should be about $200), and take them to small claims court. Or do it youself, and never go back to that station.

If you do it yourself, you need to drain all the fuel. You probobly have a plastic tank with no drain. The by the book way to do it is to remove the tank and drain it, but that never happens. Realisticly, you need to disconnect the fuel line and run the fuel pump, and let it pump all the fuel out into containers. (There will always be a little gas and water left in the bottom of the tank thats too low for the pump to suck up). If it's easily accesable I would also replace the fuel filter, but thats really not nessesary (the filter has no effect on water and water has no effect on the filter). Reconnect everything and fill the tank 7/8 with fuel and 3 bottles of drygas. Then use 1 bottle of drygas in your next couple tankfulls.

You may get a sputter here and there from the slight bit of water remaining, but it'll be fine, and go away shortly.

Also the check engine light is probobly on, with a misfire code. You just need someplace to turn it off. Or just disconnect the battery for an hour or so and it should reset.

Sean

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Salem Oregon police department had a problem like that a few years ago. Who would expect someone to sell bad gasoline (lots of water). to a   police department.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top