Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2001 12:08:28 AM EDT
I've always cleaned my barrels with metal rods without a problem.  Seems everyone is always hyping these horse pill bore snakes. Whats the deal? [:\]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The Bore Snakes are ok for quick light cleaning, but for thorough cleaning, the old fashioned way is still best. I only use aluminum or fiberglass rods...to much risk using steel rods in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#3]
BIGSHOOTER,

I look at it like this:

A chamber guide, a one piece coated rod, and a jag cost so little money and take such little extra time. I even use the setup with my carbine which I love large groups with at 50 meters and in (multi-systems trauma)

I would say that today is a good day to convert Bro.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 2:31:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 3:05:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting...I've always used the metal rod that came with my Hoppe's cleaning kit and used nothing but No 9 solvent, a brush when necessary, and then passed the patches down until the come out clean. I make sure to always clean from the breach end (except for my revolvers, which you obviously can't clean except the muzzel end).  I'm always extra careful and have never noticed any problems I can attribute to my method. Admittedly there are more than a few people on this board who have shot many times the amout of ammo I have.
I will invest in a chamber guide though, thanks for the heads up gents.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 3:11:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 3:19:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Much thanks.  I will definately get one before my next trip out to the range.  Glad I can converse with such knowledgable people.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 3:54:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if I have ever damaged a barrel because of metal rods, but now I don't take the chance.  I use Dewey coated rods and bore guides for all my rifles.  The way I figure it is why spend all kinds of money on the best rifles and not use the best cleaning equipment available.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#9]
When I was young and foolish, I put some scratches in the middle of a Marlin microgroove .30/30 while trying to push a seriously oversized patch through the bore. Didn't seem to hurt the accuracy any. I still have the rifle with thousands of cast lead reloads through it.

I recently bought my first bore snake... can't believe I was without one for so long. Can't be beat for the average after shoot cleaning.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top