Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2003 11:21:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Scarface has become a cult classic with the Ghetto Gangsta Thug crowd, including the herds of wannabees
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What the hell was Universal thinking when they legitimized these retards?
View Quote
"We'll sell [b]millions[/b]!!!!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope.

I watched Scarface for the first time when it came out on DVD. Sorry, but I didn't see what was so fantastic about the movie. It was okay, but not great. Saw no reason to buy it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know this but does Universal need to pander to them and market the DVD on the unfortunate association?

View Quote

Urban "culture" sells these days, especially to affluent white kids.  Part of the reason why I never turn on my tv anymore.  Good Lord, Snoop dog is in AOL commercials.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Of course I still bought it. Get over it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#7]
So either buy the regular re-released version.  Or buy the special edition and don't watch what you don't like.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nope.

I watched Scarface for the first time when it came out on DVD. Sorry, but I didn't see what was so fantastic about the movie. It was okay, but not great. Saw no reason to buy it.
View Quote

what? Did you see the shootout in the end?

Damn what a great movie!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course I still bought it. Get over it.
View Quote

Well shit, if it don't bother you I must be all wrong about this. [:D]

View Quote

I knew you'd come around.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Generally speaking, Scarface sucked.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought it.  

I appreciated the def jam doc (it's like all of 20 minutes long, located somewhere on the second disc)– I thought it was cool and very appropriate.  

You said you loved the movie right?  Maybe the fact that they loved the movie too might mean there are some similarities betweenst youse.  Hmmm?  Maybe?  Would that be so horrible?

I think not.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

View Quote

Damn what a great movie!
View Quote

What was that gun he used...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#15]
So, it's ok to watch a movie about Cuban gangsters that kill and deal in illegal drugs but black gangsters that do the same thing are BAAAAAAD!  Interesting.  I guess race has nothing to do with it, right?  Or is it that you just prefer Cuban scum to black scum?

[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, it's ok to watch a movie about Cuban gangsters that kill and deal in illegal drugs but black gangsters that do the same thing are BAAAAAAD!  Interesting.  I guess race has nothing to do with it, right?  Or is it that you just prefer Cuban scum to black scum?

View Quote

Are you really confused by the fact that a person might enjoy a [i]movie[/i] about Cuban gangsters while being disturbed by the behavior of real-life gang-bangers who base their behavior and aspirations on a character in a violent movie, or are you just making a blatantly lame grab for the PC high ground?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Whats not to like about Scarface?

Its has all the elements of a great movie

1. Al Pacino
2. Violence, lots of violence with machine guns!
3. Money, excess, and greed
4. Hot bitches
5. Drugs

Scarface is one of my favorite all time movies.  Only ones better are Godfather and Full Metal Jacket.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you really confused by the fact that a person might enjoy a [i]movie[/i] about Cuban gangsters while being disturbed by the behavior of real-life gang-bangers who base their behavior and aspirations on a character in a violent movie, or are you just making a blatantly lame grab for the PC high ground?
View Quote

Neither.

[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah, You got the wrong tree.

Here is the difference.

I know Pacino was portraying a 'character' and that character was based upon a 1930s movie of the same name.

Gangsta rappers on the other hand are not just playing a role but cultivating and promoting a 'persona' that is being directly realted to pop culture.

To clarify the difference here is an example.

I don't mind Wesley Snipes playing a drug dealing POS in New Jack City but if he had a actual dealer/pimp 'persona' like Ice T (who ironically played the role of a police officer in the same movie) that was promoted in the mainstream I would take exception to that.

Even among whites I note the same distinction. Christopher Walkin played a very similar role in King of New York and again I have no problem with it, but I find Eminem's promoted values very distasteful. Had Eminem done the Scarface documentary and noted how it inspired his "gangsta style" I would have passed on it as well.

So it's not really about race (black, cuban, white or otherwise) but about how those values are promoted in the mainstream.

View Quote

Gotcha.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope.  I didn't buy it because I never thought it was a particularly good movie.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

View Quote

Damn what a great movie!
View Quote

Yep. Watched the whole thing, twice.

The final shootout was pretty good, with a good selection of Uzi's and FN FAL's. But not enough to "save" the movie. I particularly liked the chainsaw scene. A whole lot of violence, that wasn't really there. You never saw a thing except some sprayed blood. But your imagination ran wild with graphic violence. Now that was artistic genious. But, still not enough to "save" the movie.

I rate the movie as "pretty fair" to "good." Meaning it's not good enough to spend my cash to purchase it. Although I wouldn't refuse it if it were a gift.

Sorry for the hijack SteyrAUG.

I see what you're driving at. But I guess if I liked the movie I would buy it and just ignore the hip/hop/gansta rap stuff. BTW, I don't mind my daughter's Eminem CD's (hell, I'll even listen to them when she's not around.) And his movie [i]8 Mile[/i] isn't bad. In fact, I like it better than [i]Scarface.[/i]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know Pacino was portraying a 'character' and that character was based upon a 1930s movie of the same name.
View Quote

See, the funny thing here is, I didn't even know there was a remake of the 30s flick.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I have the movie on Betamax. Thank God I don't have a Betamax machine. Well, at least not anymore.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
To clarify the difference here is an example.

I don't mind Wesley Snipes playing a drug dealing POS in New Jack City but if he had a actual dealer/pimp 'persona' like Ice T (who ironically played the role of a police officer in the same movie) that was promoted in the mainstream I would take exception to that.
View Quote

I think it's somewhat amusing that Ice-T, the same guy who recorded "Cop Killer" has played so many cops on TV & movies......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top