Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2003 7:00:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I used it almost 20 years ago (when I was in the AirForce) and just wiped it on with a rag.  We used it for "oxygen clean" proceedures, where any small amount of debris could be cause for a fire.  The stuff works great.  And yes, you will have to re-oil, as there wont be anything left.
Be sure to wear gloves(laytex should do) because it will also remove any oils from your hands.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#2]
It's my day off so I'm using it right now. I think I'm going to take one more hit and then taper off.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm.  Sounds flammable!  Must add that to the list...  [thinking]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think "real honest to goodness" trichloro is generally available anymore, because I think the EPA has classificied it as "known carcinogen." The stuff you see now, i.e. brake cleaners(available from automotive stores such as Kragen, Pep Boys) and gun cleaners are using trichloro substitutes. For me, I still wear gloves and a face shield when cleaning my guns, (life short enough without trying to hurry it) when I use this stuff, and I use a brush that looks a tooth-brush for cleaning ARs to clean inside frames & slides. Of course the stubborn stuff like cylinder faces on revovlers still requires the hand work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely use gloves and eye protection.  Only use it in a well-ventilated area.  It's a very effective solvent, but it's not people-friendly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I was cleaning the propulsion shaft of a Navy destroyer deep in a shaft alley preparing it to accept a rubber seal with Tric one day many moons ago... I didn't know what day it was when I crawled out of that hole...
[whacko]

Powerful fumes!

Be careful and use this stuff in a well ventilated area.

It is a great solvent.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#9]
used the brake cleaner on a gun part once- got a nice spray back at the face- right in my eye.  NO GOOD
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to use it at work for cleaning printed circuit boards after wave solder.  Great stuff, a wonderful degreaser.
We no longer use it after the CFC ban and switched to a substitute.
I think Warlord is correct - it is now banned, but I believe it's because of the CFC Ozone conflict not because it's a carcinigen.  Although it IS highly carcinegenic, so if you have some I'd recommend gloves and a well ventilated area.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Until a couple months ago, I used it every day at work.  We bought it 99% pure by the gallon, usually 4 gallons at a time.  It is part of the cleaning process when manufacturing photodiodes.  It will completely degrease whatever you use it on, but don't inhale it or get any on your skin.  Long term exposure will cause cancer.

Our cleaning protocol to remove both inorganic and organic materials was to soak the photodiodes in 165 degree TCE for 2 minutes (maybe it was 190, I can't remember) then boil it in isopropanol for 2 minutes, and quickly follow up with a deionized H20 wash for a minimum of 2 minutes.  Everything was dried with nitrogen gas.

We only handled open TCE under the fume hoods.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I also used it every day. Many times a day while in the USMC. Part of my duties was to rebuild hydraulic aircraft support equipment. We used it to clean hydraulic fluid off of parts. If I wasn't soaked in Hydraulic fluid, I was rinsing myself with Tric. (for some reason we called it freon). I can't imagine what kind of harm was done to my body that is still yet to be discovered.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I also used it every day. Many times a day while in the USMC. Part of my duties was to rebuild hydraulic aircraft support equipment. We used it to clean hydraulic fluid off of parts. If I wasn't soaked in Hydraulic fluid, I was rinsing myself with Tric. (for some reason we called it freon). I can't imagine what kind of harm was done to my body that is still yet to be discovered.
View Quote

5606/83282 isn't exactly good for ya either !!! When the took away the tric we swithed to MEK " Methyl ethelene Ketone " Very good stuff also and eventually used denatured alchohol which works very well " doesn't remove paint etc " to clean up hyd fluid....
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think Warlord is correct - it is now banned, but I believe it's because of the CFC Ozone conflict not because it's a carcinigen.  Although it IS highly carcinegenic, so if you have some I'd recommend gloves and a well ventilated area.
View Quote

Oops you're right! I was a little brain-dead. I think it had to do with air pollution, and not carcinegnic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top