Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2015 11:18:31 AM EDT
Thinking about getting some for the front seats. They ain't cheap, but they sure look to fit like gloves. If you have them, what is your opinion of them?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I had them on my 2012 f150 and I'm buying them for my 15 Tacoma . they are super easy to clean and very durable. Highly recommend them
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]
have them in my Jeep
they are a little hot on summer days
but given your location I doubt you will have any problem with that

and on the total opposite of that
I put some $20 dickies canvas seat covers in my truck from Amazon
been pretty tickled with them and at that price I can replace them for years if needed
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems like overkill unless you're in and out of the car with a wet wetsuit or swim trunks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Have them in my 14' Taco and am satisfied with my purchase.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I have them in my truck. Front and back. I love them. I didn't want to ruin the leather seats so I got them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems like overkill unless you're in and out of the car with a wet wetsuit or swim trunks.
View Quote

They aren't worth a shit for that use, since they are made of neoprene and it's not waterproof.  Anybody who has worn a wetsuit will understand that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They aren't worth a shit for that use, since they are made of neoprene and it's not waterproof.  Anybody who has worn a wetsuit will understand that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm as somebody who has grown up surfing winters on the east coast, neoprene is indeed waterproof...

Those seat covers were invented in Hawaii just for the purpose I described and been used by surfers for 20-30 years now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Umm as somebody who has grown up surfing winters on the east coast, neoprene is indeed waterproof...

Those seat covers were invented in Hawaii just for the purpose I described and been used by surfers for 20-30 years now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just spent 4+ years living in Hawaii, and I'm a diver.  Neoprene is not waterproof.    Wet Okole seat covers are for a dude in board shorts, not somebody who will soak them through.  Anybody who surfs/dives and uses those overpriced covers on their leather seats will have fucked up leather seats.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I just spent 4+ years living in Hawaii, and I'm a diver.  Neoprene is not waterproof.    Wet Okole seat covers are for a dude in board shorts, not somebody who will soak them through.  Anybody who surfs/dives and uses those overpriced covers on their leather seats will have fucked up leather seats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to break the news to you, but the material itself is indeed waterproof.  The water that gets inside the suit leaks in from the cuffs and any leaking seams if they are sealed, or unsealed seams.

I've spent many more than 4+ years surfing all day long in a sealed wetsuit and come out with my board shorts completely dry.   Water only gets into the booties, gloves and up the arms and legs and around the neck a little, but the neoprene material is waterproof.

Don't believe me?  Look at Wet Okole's website and they tell you it is a waterproof seat cover made in Hawaii for people who ride around with a "wet-bottom" which is apparently what Wet Okole means in Hawaiian.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on if they are made from closed cell (waterproof) or open cell (not waterproof) neoprene.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heck, I'd be buying them for the looks as much as anything else. They sure do make some sharp looking ones.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Depends on if they are made from closed cell (waterproof) or open cell (not waterproof) neoprene.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point, but I've never dove in a dry suit, and every wetsuit my family owns is open cell, just like 99% of them out there.  I could replace the leather on my seats for less than a full set of wet okoles so I never bought any.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I have them on my Tacoma. I like the marathons I had in my f150 better
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Good point, but I've never dove in a dry suit, and every wetsuit my family owns is open cell, just like 99% of them out there.  I could replace the leather on my seats for less than a full set of wet okoles so I never bought any.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wetsuits are not designed to keep you dry.  And they are made of closed cell neoprene.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am not a diver, but all surfing wetsuits I have ever seen and owned in the past 30 years have used closed cell neoprene.   Being waterproof is a better insulator since it's not allowing water to pass through it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife got them for her suburban. She always wanted to get these covers, and we were both very disappointed. The fit is not all that great and they seem to have stretched over time (2 years). If your vehicle has seats that are more symmetrical (no protrusions for shoulder belt) you may have a better fit. I do not remember the final price, but I believe it was around $1k for four bucket seats and the rear bench seat. I could have gotten seat covers that fit as well for half the price.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wetsuits are not designed to keep you dry.  And they are made of closed cell neoprene.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones made in the past 20-30 years or so with sealed seams are meant to keep you as dry as possible and keep the water exchange/flush out to a minimum.  

Like I've said, plenty of times I've come out with dry board shorts worn underneath the wetsuit (as long as I didn't pee in it or flush out to cool off).

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#18]
They're nice but too rich for my blood. I went with Caltrend Neo Supremes on my Tacoma. They fit great,  and while not waterproof,  are serving their purpose.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I have them on the front seats of my 2011 Tacoma. I've been very happy with them and would probably buy them for my next vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Before you buy, check out trek armor seat covers. Made in the USA. Molle webbing on seat backs. No sweaty ass like with neoprene.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They're nice but too rich for my blood. I went with Caltrend Neo Supremes on my Tacoma. They fit great,  and while not waterproof,  are serving their purpose.
View Quote

I will check those out. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Before you buy, check out trek armor seat covers. Made in the USA. Molle webbing on seat backs. No sweaty ass like with neoprene.
View Quote

Those seem to be just for Jeep Wranglers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for sidetracking your Wet Okole thread, but this should put to rest the open cell / closed cell wetsuit neoprene argument.

TL/DR -- ALL wetsuit neoprene is closed cell (i.e. waterproof) and not porous to water.

This is from a wetsuit company, the best around in my opinion (Speardiver):

"In this context open cell refers simply to the fact that the interior of the wetsuit is not lined with Lycra or Nylon like your typical scuba suit. The designation open cell does not reflect at all on the type of neoprene used. In reality although neoprene for manufacturing wetsuits varies greatly in quality, ALL neoprene used for wetsuits is closed cell. Real open cell neoprene lets air and water pass through and is useless for our purposes. It's used in other industries, for example this material Perfectex - Neoprene Sheets - Open Cell Open cell means the tiny rubber walled cells filled with air that make up the neoprene are interconnected, not sealed from each other. In closed cell neoprene the micro cells are sealed from each other, if the walls of one break air or water will not pass through the cells adjacent to it and the material remains impermeable.

So to reiterate ALL neoprene used for ALL wetsuits is closed cell. Scuba wetsuits have lining (Nylon or Lycra) attached to both the exterior and interior surfaces. What we've come to know as "open cell" suits have lining (Nylon or Lycra) attached to the exterior surface, and raw smooth neoprene as the interior. This raw smooth neoprene interior is a product of the cutting process that reduces the neoprene to the required thicknes; 3mm, 5mm etc. The exterior neoprene surface under the Lycra lining is actually the same as the interior."

http://www.spearfishingplanet.com/gear/26716-what-difference-between-open-cell-wetsuits-closed-cell-wetsuits.html
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Wet Okoles are nice - comfortable in most conditions...but they do fade - at least they fade with the top off of my jeep.

I'd buy again because they're tough and look great.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I had them when I had my 4 Runner. I really liked them. I regret not getting them for my FJ.

definitely will for my next vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Anybody else have seat cover suggestions? Going on the front seats of my Subaru Legacy. There are days when I get dirty at work, not to mention post gym sweat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm neoprene is indeed waterproof! And I'm not a diver!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neoprene is waterproof, zippers and stitch points are not.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Says waterproof on their website.

Their offices are in Costa Mesa, CA. Thought about getting them a few times but didn't.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I had them in my old truck. Loved them. New one has a/c seats so wouldn't work for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I have these in my hunting rig. I'm going on 5 years and they still look really good other than a little fading. No rips anywhere and they fit perfect.
https://www.camotruckseats.com/

ETA: this is a stock photo from their website

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Had them on my Dakota and I loved them.

They fit great and wear well (although I did have some stains that didn't come clean after a few years of use).

One thing I noticed right away is I sat a little higher with the covers on. No problem with the Dakota, but would be in my Frontier.

Another nice feature of the company is you can order bolts of fabric from them if you want to cover other parts of the interior.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I have had several sets of them. They last well and I have moved them from the old truck to the new truck at least 3 times.

I work outside in the hot part of Texas. It is not unusual for my leather belt to be soaked through when I sit down in my truck.

I don't want my new truck seats smelling like my sweaty wet ass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Just checked and I can buy OEM seat covers for my truck for $219.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sorry for sidetracking your Wet Okole thread, but this should put to rest the open cell / closed cell wetsuit neoprene argument.

TL/DR -- ALL wetsuit neoprene is closed cell (i.e. waterproof) and not porous to water.

http://www.spearfishingplanet.com/gear/26716-what-difference-between-open-cell-wetsuits-closed-cell-wetsuits.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is from a wetsuit company, the best around in my opinion (Speardiver):

"In this context open cell refers simply to the fact that the interior of the wetsuit is not lined with Lycra or Nylon like your typical scuba suit. The designation open cell does not reflect at all on the type of neoprene used. In reality although neoprene for manufacturing wetsuits varies greatly in quality, ALL neoprene used for wetsuits is closed cell. Real open cell neoprene lets air and water pass through and is useless for our purposes. It's used in other industries, for example this material Perfectex - Neoprene Sheets - Open Cell Open cell means the tiny rubber walled cells filled with air that make up the neoprene are interconnected, not sealed from each other. In closed cell neoprene the micro cells are sealed from each other, if the walls of one break air or water will not pass through the cells adjacent to it and the material remains impermeable.

So to reiterate ALL neoprene used for ALL wetsuits is closed cell. Scuba wetsuits have lining (Nylon or Lycra) attached to both the exterior and interior surfaces. What we've come to know as "open cell" suits have lining (Nylon or Lycra) attached to the exterior surface, and raw smooth neoprene as the interior. This raw smooth neoprene interior is a product of the cutting process that reduces the neoprene to the required thicknes; 3mm, 5mm etc. The exterior neoprene surface under the Lycra lining is actually the same as the interior."

No problem, man. It keeps the thread on Page One, so that's cool.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought some for one of our survey trucks in 06.  They have to be installed correctly to be worth a crap and that is not very easy to do.  

It really defeats the purpose because you cant just take them out and wash them off and replace them easily.  

Needless to say they started smelling like ass after a couple years so we pulled them out and threw them away because they had several holes in them and we didn't feel like putting the damned things back in.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I have Wet Okole's on the front seats of my truck.  Love them, easy to keep clean and they fit good and look sharp.  One warning, my buddy has a set with the piping on it.  Piping wore quickly - if you get a set go without the piping.

Yeah, sort of a pain to put them in, but once I got it done they have been great!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#39]
a few years ago I was looking at Wet Okoles but bought a set of covers for my F150 Supercab from Headwaters Seat Covers in MT. I reccomend them highly. They have held up in my dailydriver for 2 years now and I, along with my now-4yr-old son, have not been kind to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top