Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2002 2:13:47 AM EDT
Going there [Club Satyricon] in a couple of days to see a band, and I was wondering if the area was safe, what the club is like, that sort of thing.

Also, any weird rules in Oregon about clubs?  The last time I went to one (in North Carolina), it was a "private club" to pass the Bible-Belt liquor laws, and I had to become a "guest of a member" to get in.

Re-edited to note:  There's a bug in the forum software that messes up "Subject" lines with double-quotes in them, if the post is edited.  Second or third time I've hit it.  Argh.  Sorry 'bout that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:57:13 AM EDT
[#1]
What club and what area? Portland is pretty much like Seattle. Seemed pretty safe to me when I lived there a couple years ago. Over by the airport seemed a little run down, but I never felt unsafe anywhere I ventured.

What band you going to see?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#2]
You're going to have to feed us a LOT more information. Heck, pure specifics wouldn't hurt either.

As an aside I'm going to go back to NC to  visit for a couple weeks. I friggin' hate their liquor laws... and to think they were silly here...

The OLCC (alcohol Nazis) are a PITA but tolerable. OLCC mostly affects they way businesses handle liquor. No super silly laws, heck we can even buy alcohol at the liquor stores on Sundays now.

Now the good news, you can't stumble too far without finding an excellent microbew pub.

Give us some details and I can provide a list. For a start hit [url=http://www.wweek.com]Willamette Week[/url] and look for Headout section, the music listing.

There just aren't many unsafe areas here. Come, have fun. Enjoy the weather (i.e. bring umbrella [;)] )
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What club and what area? Portland is pretty much like Seattle.

What band you going to see?
View Quote

Club Satyricon, looks like it's just to the west of the river at around I-5 mile marker 301.  A downtown area with lots of one-way streets.

I'm going to hear the acoustic meanderings of [url]http://www.maryprankster.com/[/url] [:D]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Club Satyricon, looks like it's just to the west of the river at around I-5 mile marker 301.  A downtown area with lots of one-way streets.

I'm going to hear the acoustic meanderings of [url]http://www.maryprankster.com/[/url] [:D]
View Quote

I haven't been to that club, but anything right downtown is pretty safe, judging from my past experience with Portland. Perhaps PDXShooter is more familiar with that particular club.

Have fun! Oh, and on your way out of Washington, remember that it's now the beginning of "Seat Belt Crackdown 2002" lol. Of course, I'm not implying that you aren't a law abiding citizen or anything. Just wanted to mention it. I think maybe I'll just tint my windows really dark so the law doesn't see me with my hat on backwards and such ;)
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a bit too old to do the club scene, but in general, downtown PDX is pretty safe.

It's probably too late for your next trip, but you know you can get a CCW for OR as an out of stater. Look on packing.org for details.

I've got a CCW for OR and WA, as these are the states I usually play in. Sadly, I'm a walking guppie when I go to CA, and just carry a pocket knife (sypderco military, my fav)

Regards,
Francis
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
See, a little more detail is much more helpful...

Satyricon. Not a bad place at all. Reminds me of just about every club I've been to, from Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill to clubs in SF. Fellini's is next door, attached and a decent place to eat (before, during or after).

Right on the bus mall. Watch your One Ways! Parking is available but depending on where you are staying taking PT down there (and depending on how late you're out) - cab back is nice. Cabs are not abundant so if you're going that route as any bartender to call one for you. They're more than happy to.

Downtown is safe, I never feel threatened. Relatively high homeless population but as long as you don't tip over their shopping carts they'll just ask you fer donations. If you're familiar with downtown Seattle then it's about the same, just with more activity.

Feel free to email me directly if you need any other info.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Stay away from East Couch street and East Burnside. Seems like there are a lot of gangbangers, prostitutes, and problem individuals in the area.

And definitely stay away from the area around and under the Burnside bridge over the Willamette River. Lot's of strange homeless folks in the area and weird stuff seems to go on down there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top