Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2011 6:26:47 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to hire another part-time employee.

Their job description will include some driving. Last guy I hired (who is still working but wants to stay part time), the insurance company said not to worry too much about their driving record. I didn't - because I knew them - but this time, I'm hiring a younger person and I honestly want to know how they drive.

Who do I get to pull their driving record?
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I think only the licensee can get it, but it is $10 at the DMV.  If the person won't do it then problem solved.  I know I have been asked for it before when I did deliveries.  Make it a requirement.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want to see the actual driving record, the easiest way is to require the applicant to provide their current MVR with the application.  That way, they pay the fee and stand in line and you don't have to deal with it.

I don't do this though.  I get a list of qualified applicants, then send their info over to my insurance company and ask them if they would have any problems insuring these guys to drive my company trucks.  They won't tell me what's on the record, but will come back with "acceptable, acceptable with conditions, not acceptable" which is all I really care about.

This is also free and I don't mind letting the insurance company foot the bill as they get thousands of dollars a year from me anyway.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top