Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2014 8:49:01 PM EDT
I have an 06 Honda civic making a slight squealing noise when I hit slight bumps.  It only happens at freeway speeds, and it only lasts for maybe 2-3 seconds at the longest after a bump.  I was thinking a wheel bearing? Anything else I should look at?  Whats the best way to check for a worn out bearing? For what its worth It sounds like its coming from the front left wheel.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It could be anything from a bad strut rebounding to brake pads scrubbing the rotor.  Bad wheel bearings are usually noisy at low speeds and I can't think or anything in the CV axles that would do that.  Have you replaced any front end compnents recently we could rule out?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It could be anything from a bad strut rebounding to brake pads scrubbing the rotor.  Bad wheel bearings are usually noisy at low speeds and I can't think or anything in the CV axles that would do that.  Have you replaced any front end compnents recently we could rule out?
View Quote

Its my girlfriends car, just pulled out some recent paperwork.  The front break pads and tires were replaced a year ago.  The notes say the rotors are good.  A separate write up from the dealership when she brought it in for starter issues says that the tie rod boots are starting to tear, and the compliance? (hard to read the hand writing) bushings are starting to crack.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I can only guess without hearing the noise but its entirely possible its a wheel bearing, but it doesn't quite fit with high speeds.  They usually make a "scrape scrape scrape" noise as the tire rotates at slow speed.  Since it happens going over bumps I would look into struts and strut mounts (known to make a creaking or squealing noise as the strut rebounds).

Most people neglect the struts until they sound like an old rocking chair.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can only guess without hearing the noise but its entirely possible its a wheel bearing, but it doesn't quite fit with high speeds.  They usually make a "scrape scrape scrape" noise as the tire rotates at slow speed.  Since it happens going over bumps I would look into struts and strut mounts (known to make a creaking or squealing noise as the strut rebounds).

View Quote

Where am I looking at on the strut and what the best way to test for a worn strut?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where am I looking at on the strut and what the best way to test for a worn strut?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Testing struts isn't really a visual inspection.  Does the car seem to handle poorly in corners?  Does it feel like the wheels "hop" when going over rough road?  Are they making noises (I think that parts is covered)?  Does it generally have a crappy ride or jolt the driver?

Cars that need shocks and struts are also prone to nose dive under heavy braking.  The nose of the car noticeably dips down.  Ever seen a busted old Caddy in the ghetto bounce around for a few seconds after hitting a bump or dip its corners and roll the body around turns?  Perfect example of bad shock absorption.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Testing struts isn't really a visual inspection.  Does the car seem to handle poorly in corners?  Does it feel like the wheels "hop" when going over rough road?  Are they making noises (I think that parts is covered)?  Does it generally have a crappy ride or jolt the driver?

Cars that need shocks and struts are also prone to nose dive under heavy braking.  The nose of the car noticeably dips down.  Ever seen a busted old Caddy in the ghetto bounce around for a few seconds after hitting a bump or dip its corners and roll the body around turns?  Perfect example of bad shock absorption.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides the slight squealing, it has absolutely no other signs that you mentioned.  I did ask my girlfriend if it was doing anything for her, and she says that every time she gets in the car, the first drive of the day it makes the squeal at low speed the first time she hits the brakes, but then doesn't do it the rest of the day until it sits over night.  I appreciate the help, im going to look at it tomorrow, but even if it is a bearing, its going in.  I don't have the tools to tackle a job like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top