Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2007 2:32:11 PM EDT
a buddy of mine is going through the academy, but he's contemplating moving in with his friend, and some other guy whom he doesn't know. the guy whom he doesn't know happens to be a hippie free love type of guy, that also happens to smoke pot. I told him this could potentially be a problem when departments are doing a background on him. supposedly this subject has no known criminal record and basically keeps to himself and smokes a little. it's a hairy situation I wouldn't want to deal with. I tried warning him but, he keeps saying it's only temporary because he's working full time and going through the academy full time as well, and it's "convenient" for him since work school and home will be within 10 minutes of each other.

what does everyone else think? stay away from his friend and unknown pot loving hippie friend?
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Why risk it? There are lots of places to live.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Moving in with a known doper shows poor judgement.

Yep.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Bad Juju all around.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Bad roommate situations can have adverse effects on your background investigation.  Have you heard of the phenomenon of second hand smoke?
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
What's he going to say if the local cops kick the door down one night while the "friend" is smoking pot on the couch and your friend is studying LE topics in the bedroom?  What's the first call the cops are probably going to make regarding your friend?  Probably the academy director!!

If he does it, then he's an idiot.

Link Posted: 11/26/2007 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What's he going to say if the local cops kick the door down one night while the "friend" is smoking pot on the couch and your friend is studying LE topics in the bedroom?  What's the first call the cops are probably going to make regarding your friend?  Probably the academy director!!

If he does it, then he's an idiot.

What he said.

If your in LE stay the fuck away from known trouble makers/pot heads.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 3:51:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Dopers tend to be shit magnets...
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:51:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure that anyone who has done this job for a while will tell you...... They or someone they have known, had to ditch some friends over the years because they were trouble.

Where's the train wreck graphic when you need it.

Oh,  and what they said.

Besides all of that,  there will never be any Doritos in the place because Cheech ate them all.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Conflict of interest, stupid, asking for trouble...call it what you want. It would be stupid if he KNEW the guy...it's twice as bad because he doesn't even know him. This guy's supposed "personal use" could very easily be just what he tells people. He could be dealing. The guy surely has friends that are dopers and if he's not dealing it himself...one of them probably is.

The guy's name will eventually come onto the drug investigator's radar screen. I doubt your friend wants to be associated with him.

I wouldn't want to share an apartment with anyone who could possibly be named in a drug search warrant.

When the doper or one of his buddies gets caught they will surely drop your friend's name. "Hey do you know Officer so-and-so? He's my roommate."

How long will it be before your buddy is present when one of the doper's buddies gets busted and says "Hey aren't you so and so's roommate?

Not to mention that it'd be pretty hypocritical to be arresting people with marijuana when you know that there is some in your own home.

So many bad things could happen here. Many departments have a "morality clause" in their employment contracts that states that you will keep your private life "unsullied". May not get him fired but it might keep him from getting hired... or it might limit his career. How many officers are going to trust a guy who lives with a doper.

Bad Idea.

If you're going to be a cop there are some things that you just can't do. As was said earlier, there are some friends that you have to cut loose from.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

+1000
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Nothing good will come of this move.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:56:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm sure that anyone who has done this job for a while will tell you...... They or someone they have known, had to ditch some friends over the years because they were trouble.

Where's the train wreck graphic when you need it.

Oh,  and what they said.

Besides all of that,  there will never be any Doritos in the place because Cheech ate them all.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I've just started the application process and I'm even making sure I obey ALL TRAFFIC laws. There's no way I'd risk that. No matter how convenient it was. Even if it was free I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#15]

What he said.

That's why the day my brother in-law, aka "The Uber Douche" moved  out of state....makes holidays so much more easy....it's bad when you have to divulge your b.i-law's name in your background check just to get out in front of the issue.

I doubt it is un-related that shortly after I said I was going into this work that he announced he was moving.  haha.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Found out more about his future roomie.

Check this out Click this link
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Shit attracts Shit.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#18]
consorting with people of ill repute is a fireable offense for the dept i am employed with.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Unless it's part of an uncover gig, he should probably avoid such a situation.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Ah...stay away & find another hootch to take up residence. That is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#22]
"Do you or have you associated with persons who regularly use controlled substances?"

I personally think truthfully answering "no" to this question is pretty important.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
"Do you or have you associated with persons who regularly use controlled substances?"

I personally think truthfully answering "no" to this question is pretty important.

"Just during the Academy!"
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know that I would want to hang around my friend anymore that is living with a guy smoking dope. He doesn't sound like he has very good judgment either. I don't care about another person's morals or his friends but it makes it very tough on a police career to hang around shady characters.

At least one thing could come of it. His police career will end fairly quickly and he won't have the trouble of struggling through a long FTO process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top