Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2012 7:03:21 AM EDT
Depidy_Dawg posted this in another thread:

Quoted:

Yep, our standards, all mins:

Bench 155 (I bench 225, working towards 250) I weigh 245

Leg Press 450 (I did 540 and almost made 590)

Already covered situps/pushups (41/45) Pushups must have chest within a hands thickness of the floor. Situps must keep hands behind ears and elbows touch knees, then all the way to the ground with back.

4 pullups

Vertical leap (one foot planted) of 18 inches (Measured by hand outstretched and point marked, then jumping and marking high point with chalk on hands)

1/2 mile run in under 4:15

100 meters in 16 seconds or less

Short lunch

Then to the range and shoot from 50 meters and in to 3. Rifle. Pistol 18 meters and in to 3. FULL gear (Helmet, gloves, eye pro, vest, radio, water, medkit, full mags, cuffs, ASP, TASER, flashlight, knife, gas mask, flashbangs, assigned entry tools)

Pistol 85% or better

Rifle 90% or better Both scores must have all rounds on threat, in bottle, no misses, period. All shots incorporate movement from the signal. We do not teach static shooting. Standing, kneeling, prone, over/around barricade. If you fail to qualify you have to shoot back to back high quals, 90% pistol, 100% rifle.

These are minimums and all members are expected to improve all areas tested.

This is all done within about 6 hours and at 7,220 feet. For the physical portion one can try three times in every category for best score i.e, Lift 185, 205, then 225.

As we are combining the SO and PD teams we are adding our SO expectations:

100 meter shooting course

300 meter iron sight course

Land/Night nav course

Overnight bivouac with field problem

Survival training and eval(winter/summer) course

NVG nav course

Map/Compass reading

Self Aid/Budy Care

There's some discussion about increasing the run course, either the 1 1/2 mile set up, or a combined obstacle course over a 3 mile route. Of course there's the admin stuff: Supervisor approval with letter, LORs, Oral board, vetting/probation, observation

All of these requirements are set no matter the applicant's age or sex. You either do it, or you don't.

I'm tired just reading over that shit.

My agency has no SWAT team.

My wife's agency does, however. Their standard is a modified Cooper test to their own standard, which I can't recall right now. After passing, you are voted on by the entire SWAT team as to whether or not you're accepted, with unanimous approval required.

Fucking SWAT popularity contest. Fucking morons.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
We do a peer evaluation here as well... it's more important than the rest of the requirements (physical and mental).  There's a reason for it.  Some folks are great shooters, in great physical shape, and have solid knowledge... BUT they are fucking assholes and know NOTHING about commitment and TEAM WORK.  Nothing worse for a team than someone who always starts shit.  I've seen it.

It's NOT a popularity contest as far as we use it, but I could see where some places would use it as such.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
We use Cooper standards, oral boards, pistol/rifle quals, and repelling.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I was instructed that SWAT is only 1/4 "special weapons" and 3/4ths "tactics", meaning that the guns and muscles were a tool used to accomplish a job, but greater emphasis should be placed on an individual having a sharp mind and the ability to think flexibly and dynamically in order to find a peaceful solution that doesnt involve excessive trigger pulling.

Basically the pen is mighter than the sword in swat. For that reason, i can unerstand physical requirements  being very important to selection, but oral boards and peer review by the team should be used as well to ensure that they get a guy who can think on his feet in order to problem solve.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Ours is very comparable to Depidy Dawg's, however, it is more geared towards urban terrain as opposed to rural.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Our SWAT team runs a modified POPAT (Police Officer Physical Abilities Test, the standard test to be a police officer in this state), except they have to do it in under 5:30 instead of 7:20, and in full SWAT gear and carrying a battering ram through the stair climb portion, and dragging the dummy they drag another team member in full gear.

They shoot the standard state course with all their guns but have to qualify at a minimum 92% with everything.

They do it quarterly.  I'm starting to train to try and pass it.

the POPAT is:  start seated in a car, get out run 100 yards out and back, remove dummy from passenger seat of car & drag 50 feet, up and down a 4 step block, through a 50lb weighted door, 20 pushups, 20 situps, do the stairs again, over a 4ft fence, 20 pushups, 20 situps, 100 yard out and back run again and drag the dummy 50 feet again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 4:33:00 AM EDT
[#6]
For ours  you have to be selected by your department, and then you can come and try out with us.  Quick Cooper style Pt test, our pistol/rifle qual, and then an informal board interview.  In reality you can say whatever the hell you want in that interview, we already decided if we were going to pick you or not.  Word of mouth from your peers, and prior SWAT operators from your department have let us know if your going to be a good fit or not.  Some may view it as a popularity contest, but in reality it's are you a team player contest.  We will make you a great shooter and operator, but we can't change your personality.  It's pretty easy to tell who the guys are that are going to sit there and bitch all day, and which guys are going to suck it up and finish the job.  

When looking at potential candidates we look for the little things.  Does a guy blow everyone away on the run and then just go sit in the shade, or does he run an extra lap to push the other guys and help them along.  Does he stay after and help put everything away, or is he the last one there and first one to leave.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#7]
We run an obstacle course and that is what is used to measure your fitness. Shooting and dummy drag is included.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top