Page / 4
Posted: 7/14/2008 6:18:02 AM EDT
per CNN.com Breaking News
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:20:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:21:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/14/2008 6:22:09 AM EDT by jmarkma]
Should have done this a year years ago.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:22:33 AM EDT
Ok, so what? Exactly what does this do to help us out within the next 15 years? Nothing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:22:40 AM EDT
If I was the president I would outlaw all bans.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:23:05 AM EDT
Too bad congress won't.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:23:22 AM EDT
Now to get more refineries up and working.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:23:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/14/2008 6:23:50 AM EDT by The_Insider]
This puts the Dems in Congress on the defensive. They will tell us how drilling for our own oil is bad for us.

Hilarity will ensue.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:23:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jb241970:
Too bad congress won't.

+1
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:23:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Pred:
Ok, so what? Exactly what does this do to help us out within the next 15 years? Nothing.

it makes opec want to make the price of oil lower to convince us not to do it
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:23:35 AM EDT

And how does it hurt anything?

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:24:28 AM EDT
Only took him, what, 7.5 years?

Better late than never, I suppose....
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:26:24 AM EDT

I'm with you. End all research. If it doesn't result in immediate gratification, it must be stopped. The future is now. There is no tomorrow. Stop all road construction, all medical research, shut down the WWWeb. Everything must end unless it can be proven that it will fix a problem right now.

In fact, stop all consideration of fixes, since consideration will not fix a problem.

It's about you and me and NOW!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:27:21 AM EDT

Too bad congress won't.

Yep. Bush can only lift the executive ban. Congress must lift its own legislative ban before any offshore drilling can begin.

It's good for Bush's PR, but does nothing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:27:45 AM EDT
Wow.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:27:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Insider:
This puts the Dems in Congress on the defensive. They will tell us how drilling for our own oil is bad for us.

Hilarity will ensue.

+1. Excellent political move with excellent timing.

"Now, Mr. Obama A-hole, would you care to explain to the American people why we should not be allowed to drill our own oil?

What's that, you say? Environmentalist causes are more important than the ability of working class Americans to pay for gas?

I see."

Election lost!

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:28:06 AM EDT
As long as libs still control Congress their ban is still good...
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:28:40 AM EDT

I'm with you. End all research. If it doesn't result in immediate gratification, it must be stopped. The future is now. There is no tomorrow. Stop all road construction, all medical research, shut down the WWWeb. Everything must end unless it can be proven that it will fix a problem right now.

In fact, stop all consideration of fixes, since consideration will not fix a problem.

Well done.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:29:18 AM EDT

Yeah, why save for retirement ? All that money tied up in an account won't help me for the next fifteen years.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:30:57 AM EDT
from what i understand, there are no available drilling ships to do anything with. all of them are booked out five years. of course, i guess this might mean lots of new work for foreign ship yards. just another feel good move.

it is a step in the right direction and had someone at least inventoried the off shore reserves 10 years ago, we'd be in a much better place right now.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:31:14 AM EDT
Just tell them to go ahead and drill. It is offshore, who is going to stop them?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:31:24 AM EDT

Such a pessimist.

This is America. It'll be a whole lot less than 15 years to see a difference if we can get the fucking democratic Congress out of the way. Less than 2 years I'd say.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:32:33 AM EDT
Bush and the Republican controlled congress should have done this 7 years ago. There are a million domestic issues they should have taken care of years ago but didn't.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:32:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jmarkma:

You know we let 1-2% of the population (environmentalist) dictate the best route for the country to go.
Why are we always reacting to a problem? Instead of being proactive. Our government leaders are about a year behind the real world. I realize it wont solve the problem completely but it's a start.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:33:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CnA:

Too bad congress won't.

Yep. Bush can only lift the executive ban. Congress must lift its own legislative ban before any offshore drilling can begin.

It puts the ball in their court.

The Dems have repeatedly blamed him for not lifting the presidential ban.
Now it's their turn.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:33:18 AM EDT

I guess you don't plan on living here in the US 15 years from now then?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:33:33 AM EDT
I would bet that oil futures will drop on this news.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:33:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CnA:

Too bad congress won't.

This might help with the next election cycle; those who will vote for drilling and those who won't.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:34:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SWIRE:
Bush and the Republican controlled congress should have done this 7 years ago. There are a million domestic issues they should have taken care of years ago but didn't.

This
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:34:15 AM EDT

Is this a joke or did some one hijack your account to post something so stupid?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:35:37 AM EDT

This is exactly the mindset that has us in the weak position we're in, right now. This type of advance planning will help. Just because it doesn't have dramatic, immediate effect doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. The instant gratification so many are used to is a major problem. Fixing long term problems takes time and commitment, something many don't have anymore.

It could actually have an effect on the wild speculation much sooner than folks think, as "15 years" to extract new oil is not a hard and fast rule. It's just what many use as a reason to do nothing and complain.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:36:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bhart89:

It should help, maybe he's ready to push the button on Iran.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:37:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By torstin:
from what i understand, there are no available drilling ships to do anything with. all of them are booked out five years. of course, i guess this might mean lots of new work for foreign ship yards. just another feel good move.

it is a step in the right direction and had someone at least inventoried the off shore reserves 10 years ago, we'd be in a much better place right now.

You are right. I've come to my senses. This is the problem that we cannot fix. We are doomed. All of our imagination is gone. We have killed innovation. We have strangled enterprise. We cannot do this because it will take work and we exported all of our workers to Burma where they all died in a tragic elephant accident.

Every invention, every new idea, every novel approach, every great risk, every past success was an aberration. Famine, pestilence, and death stalk us.

Woe unto us.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:38:29 AM EDT

The same argument could have been used in 1931 against the construction of Hoover Dam.

NO ELECTRICITY FOR 3 OR 4 YEARS!

There ain't no magic bullet. EVERY available and sensible alternative must be used.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:39:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/14/2008 6:42:10 AM EDT by 1371]

You need to study history...1941.The United States took on the Nazi juggernaut and defeated it in four years time..Not the mention Imperial Japan.The industrial might of this country CAN be great.If there is money to be made,we will do it
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:39:20 AM EDT
Actually it does help us in the short run, more on the medium run and tremendously in the long run. In the short runit will take much wind from the speculators who are the turds in the pie anyway. Now the key is getting the new refinerys in S Dak and Montana o line. I think the guys on the hometown forums in those states are pretty excited about it.
Believe it or not I believe that the thing that will help immediately would be a temporary return to 55 miles an hour. It wouldn't have to long to get an over foow on the current refinery's., and would show our determination. Unfortunately many of us, including several in my family, have adjusted to the new gas prices because they want to drive their big pickups as fast as they can.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:39:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By swede1986:

Too bad congress won't.

+1

Maybe they will be looking for a new job after the next election.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:39:53 AM EDT
The point is Bush doing this won't amount to crap. It does nothing to help our dependency on oil. How many years do you think it will take for plans to be drawn up? How many years to build? How long before it remotely does some good for us? All this tells me is that he believes we will still be dependent on oil 20 years from now, and we can expect $5.00 a gallon for the next decade or so. Do you think congress will go along with this? Do you think if Obama gets into office he will go along with it? Bush doing this does nothing to actually help this country except let me say "Look what I did, I tried, they failed you."
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:41:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By EXPcustom:
If I was the president I would outlaw all bans.

Only bans would be ban bans... and maybe some super secrend double negative bans

of course, all of these would be banned

for the children
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:41:12 AM EDT

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:44:14 AM EDT
Good for him.

1) Puts the ball into the Dems court to either volley back or let it smack them right in the nutsack.
2) Puts the spotlight on Congress (you know, those groups with SINGLE DIGIT approval ratings).

Bout damn time. Where you been GW????

What you gonna do now Nancy Pelosi???????????

Damn, from reading some of the replies here, I guess we shouldn't do ANYTHING and just give up and go back to riding horses and shit.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:44:45 AM EDT

Saw an oil industry expert on TV. Depending on the place, 2-6 years is all it will take. 10-15 years is bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:45:00 AM EDT

We went to the fucking moon and back in less than a decade. You really think it'll take 15 years to get some oil off the ocean floor?

Bwahaha...dee dee dee
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:46:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By youngpilgrim421:
As long as libs still control Congress their ban is still good...

If only Bush would have had a Rep congress at any point in his administration.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:48:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Sheesh.

Well it means we don't have to have this conversation again in 5 to 10 years. Try looking forward.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:48:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/14/2008 6:49:07 AM EDT by Pred]

Originally Posted By captainpooby:

Saw an oil industry expert on TV. Depending on the place, 2-6 years is all it will take. 10-15 years is bullshit.

2-6 years to build refineries, drilling facilities and get them online? Drilling does nothing if we can't refine it, which is our problem now. So as someone said, we went to the moon and back in a decade, we can build all this in a decade, but we can't seem to find a way to get off the oil?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:49:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/14/2008 6:50:34 AM EDT by JIMBEAM]

Originally Posted By torstin:

You are right. I've come to my senses. This is the problem that we cannot fix. We are doomed. All of our imagination is gone. We have killed innovation. We have strangled enterprise. We cannot do this because it will take work and we exported all of our workers to Burma where they all died in a tragic elephant accident.

Every invention, every new idea, every novel approach, every great risk, every past success was an aberration. Famine, pestilence, and death stalk us.

Woe unto us.

LOL

I like the new guy.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:50:38 AM EDT
now lift the ban on recycling spent fuel rods, and make a move toward easing restrictions on building new refineries; then I'll call it progress.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:52:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jmarkma:

So what, coulda, woulda, shoulda.

He did it.

You Bush haters need to lighten up.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:53:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RarestRX:

Well done.

Yes, bravo!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:54:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bhart89:

No doubt it will effect it. But how strong is the upward pressure?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top