Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2007 11:32:10 AM EDT
So my cell phone isn't working anymore and my carrier (Cingular/ATT) isn't going to send me a new one.  Can I buy a phone off ebay or someplace and insert the SIM card from the old phone into the new one, or do I need to buy a phone from a Cingular store (and pay more)?
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#1]
You can buy one and use your SIM IF it is not "locked" to another network.
ETA: The phone I am using on Cingular right now has never  been sold by Cingular/ ATT, I bought an "Unlocked" (Aka SIM free) phone on the internet and use it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Nlinc.  Where did you buy your phone?
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks Nlinc.  Where did you buy your phone?

I don't remember the website, it was somewhere in Malaysia. The only reputable looking place I found in the US selling such phones was Tiger Direct. The link will take you to their "unlocked phones" section.

ETA: Setting up the phone to work with your network might take some time to figure out. When I got mine (A Sony Ericsson) I just went on their website and selected my carrier and they sent a text message type thing with with the correct settings, that got applied automatically after I hit OK or whatever.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Amazon.com has a section for unlocked phones, too, so you might try there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Amazon.com has a section for unlocked phones, too, so you might try there.

Oh Sweet. When I bought my phone (almost 2 years ago) Amazon either didn't have unlocked phones, or they didn't have a good selection.

You'll notice that the newest cell phones are fucking expensive if you don't get that 2 year contract price.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in a similar situation (phone broke, carrier wont replace it) and I'm looking for a new phone. Now I know that I need to get either an unlocked phone or one from my carrier. Here's my question. My broken phone doesnt have a SIM card as far as I can tell, so how do I go about getting a new phone working with my carrier, verizon?
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Not for me cause I destroy phones but the I-phones are nice. I saw a early release model and they are pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
You can buy an unlocked phone but understand that YOU will be responible for making it work correctly, and to make sure it's compatable with the network.

Make absolutely certain that you are getting a phone that is capable of operating on both US frequency bands (850 and 1900).  There are tons of "triband" european/asian market phones on ebay and the like that are NOT compatable with many US networks.

You'll also have to enter in all the correct tech data to make text messaging, multimedia messaging, and internet/data service work if you use any of those services.  If you are a careful shopper and don't mind getting into the menus of the new phone and punching in some data unlocked phones are fine.

One other thing, check around with independently owned dealer locations rather than company owned stores, they will probably be able to sell you a phone outright for much less than the company suggested full retail price.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you try putting any pressure on them? Sprint bows down before my presence all the time. Stay out of the store and call customer service. Tell them there are lots of other providers that would love a chance for your business.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Did you try putting any pressure on them? Sprint bows down before my presence all the time. Stay out of the store and call customer service. Tell them there are lots of other providers that would love a chance for your business.

I think you posted in the wrong thread
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you posted in the wrong thread

Shit happens! Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Your cheapest solution, is to go to a store and buy a "Go Phone" branded phone. These are cingular/att 's prepaid calling line of phones. Put your sim card into it. You have a working phone for around 20 buxs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Do some shopping and before you buy head over to howardforums.com (It's like the arfcom for cellular phones) take a peek around do some searching for unlocks, hacks and or mods (if your into that kinda thing). weigh your options blah blah.. It's fun.

I just picked up a T-Mobile dash (HTC S620) after debranding it, hacks galore, (and 950 Nintendo games on it) and a few other exploits. I am plenty happy with this phone.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]
You can see weird problems with those imported from overseas phones. They are configured for their local networks, and that can cause issues when used outside those networks. When you have problems, don't be surprised if your local carrier laughs in your face.

I wouldn't do it.

I'd rather buy a refurbed phone from cingular. Buy it online, tis much cheaper than in the store.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
YES, you can buy a new phone off of ebay.
Just pull out your old SIM card (usually in the back of the phone, under battery usually), and stick that SIM card into your new phone.

If you get an UNLOCKED phone from ebay, you can use any GSM carrier (ATT/Cingular/T-mobile/etc.)

Link Posted: 6/28/2007 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You can see weird problems with those imported from overseas phones. They are configured for their local networks, and that can cause issues when used outside those networks. When you have problems, don't be surprised if your local carrier laughs in your face.

I wouldn't do it.

I'd rather buy a refurbed phone from cingular. Buy it online, tis much cheaper than in the store.

I bought an unlocked Motorola SLVR L7 from ebay.
It started up in French (I think?) and then once it recognized my SIM card after a few seconds, it converted to english.

It uses some funky spelling (Centre) and starts the weekly calandar with Monday,
but other than that, it works like normal.

I would do it again, and definitely recommend it.

Link Posted: 6/28/2007 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, make sure you get a tri band (quad band even better) phone.

While it is technically your responsibility to make sure your phone works with your network,
I bought a SLVR (Cingular is the only carrier who offered it), and T-mobile still helped me tweak it for their internet over the phone.

You'll need to spend about 20 minutes on the phone while they help you program it for text messaging and internet use (if you care), but other than that, stick your SIM card into an unlocked GSM phone, and you'll be making phone calls within a minute or two.

Link Posted: 6/28/2007 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Dont get one from a company named Consumer Solutions on eBay. I bought one and it was advertised as unlocked and fully tested. When I got it the thing was not unlocked.

Had to send it back. Now there may be a fight over the shipping.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you get an UNLOCKED phone from ebay, you can use any GSM carrier (ATT/Cingular/T-mobile/etc.)

Not necessarily true, you have to have one that has the correct frequency bands.

Quoted:
Yes, make sure you get a tri band (quad band even better) phone.

Quad band should be GTG, unlocked triband GSM phones are almost always euro/asian frequency band phones which will NOT be right for ATT/Cingular.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top