Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2007 5:51:11 PM EDT
On a vendors table

English will be spoken at all times.
Speaking any other language means no sale.

Talked to someone else, they thought it was racist.
I think it was more an attempt to stop straw purchases by/for illegal aliens.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is hilarious and perfectly understandable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
English is a language and a nationality the last time I checked...how is that involve race short of twisting it's meaning with PC drivel bs?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
A similar sign at a steak shop here in Philly caused quite a stir earlier this year.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Why is it racist?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw that one.

Here's one that confused me.

"50.00 charge for being denied OR delayed for background check, or your license will be held."

Lots of innocent people are delayed for odd reasons, there's no reason to charge them for it.

Sounded like bullshit to me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why is it racist?

No idea.
The way it was worded, I had the mental image of people talking back and forth in a foreign language, then deciding on a gun.
I can see how that would make an FFL nervous.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
English is a language and a nationality the last time I checked...how is that involve race short of twisting it's meaning with PC drivel bs?

+1
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I saw that one.

"50.00 charge for being denied OR delayed for background check, or your license will be held."

Lots of innocent people are delayed for odd reasons, there's no reason to charge them for it.

thats a scam and really just damn low. That business should be boycotted
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I saw that one.

What kind of stupid fuck would buy from a piece of shit cockholster like that?

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Just claiming that sign is racist, is racist. Assuming all "non-whites" dont speaka English is racist.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I had eight years of Spanish schooling and was fairly fluent at one time. I loved listening in to conversations.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#13]
how could the sign be considered racist, when racism is based on race and not language?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#14]
thats the way it should be all the time
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#15]
My grandparents and most of my aunts and uncles were born in foreign countries.  Strangely enough, they were all fluent in English by the time they died.   Several of them became millionaires and put their children and grandchildren through college.  Two of the uncles had third grade educations and had the most impressive (and read) libraries in their homes.

I guess that they were just conformists, right?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
thats the way it should be all the time

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Divisas? no necesitamos ninguna divisas que apestan.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Good sign.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Not rascist, merely nationalistic.  I have no problm with it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#20]
If Jose dont like it, let him go back across the river
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why is it racist?

No idea.
The way it was worded, I had the mental image of people talking back and forth in a foreign language, then deciding on a gun.
I saw that today at Academy.  Two Korean guys were jabbering in Korean (I assume that's what it was) about a Bushmaster AR15 behind the counter.  They were pointing at it and talking estatically.  Made me a little nervous.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I admit to being racist to some degree, and consider that sign to be totally ignorant. That and the fee for delays = SuperWanker..

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I saw that one.

Since my name is Michael Johnson, and there are over 46,000 Michael Johnsons in the US, I have been delayed every single firearm purchace in the last three years. Over 20 purchases. Delayed every single one of them.  I would tell that dealer to FOAD.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Haha yeah I'm actually gunna fork over 50 bucks if my check is delayed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw that one.

Since my name is Michael Johnson, and there are over 46,000 Michael Johnsons in the US, I have been delayed every single firearm purchace in the last three years. Over 20 purchases. Delayed every single one of them.  I would tell that dealer to FOAD.

That sucks for you, Michael Johnson.
My last name is unique. No others with my name in PA, and only 2 or 3 of us in the entire U.S.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If Jose dont like it, let him go back across the river

how true. it seems like the english language it the 2nd language of the united states
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#27]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-only_movement

In 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt stated, "We have room for but one language in this country, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house."

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Since my name is Michael Johnson,

Didn't know we had a celebrity here
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
On a vendors table

I say
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I see no problem with it! If they want to speak some language other than English, they are free to take their asses back to where ever they came from & speak it!!!!!!!! As far as being racist, who gives a rats ass what some bunch of libtards think? And why are these libtards at a gun show  to begin with?

Mike
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I like it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Was that at the Surplus City store table?  The TT33's and police surplus 870's?

I've been in their store and been told it's because they don't know what they're saying and that they don't want to sell to anyone that's "not american".

Course that's from the very large, cigar smoking gentleman whom doesn't like to waddle over and do business.

Could just be man gossip or whatever.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw that one.

I get delayed every time as well.

Usually they call back with an approval in 10 or 20 minutes.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#34]
There's a very similar sign up at my favorite gun shop.
Never bugged me, I don't see how it is racist.

Claiming it's racist implies that only one race of people can speak a certain language, now that's racist....
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I saw that one.

In other words, "please don't buy a gun from me, unless it's worth an additional 50 dollar bet that NICS will go through...but even if it's worth it, don't buy one because I treat my customers like they're crack-whores and I've got the only rock on the block."
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I like it! English is the language we speak in AMERICA, it is also the language of commerce. The only problem I see is the non english speaking peoples can't read the sign, therefore there needs to be a sign with that message in as many languages as appropriate to convey the sellers intent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why is it racist?

No idea.
I saw that today at Academy.  Two Korean guys were jabbering in Korean (I assume that's what it was) about a Bushmaster AR15 behind the counter.  They were pointing at it and talking estatically.  Made me a little nervous.

Why?

Do we suddenly have a South Korean terror threat out there?

Koreans and Japanese can't own firearms like we can here...

When they come to the US, guess what some of them want to do?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#38]
There was a guy selling T-Shirts at the Ft Worth gunshow today that had the old recruiting poster with Uncle Sam in a top hat, and pointing. The caption on the top of the shirt said "I Want You," and the bottom said "To Speak English."

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#39]

That's nice.

So if my grandfather, who used to take me to gun shows when I was a child, were to speak Spanish in front of this dealer, he would not be permitted to buy a gun from him?

Luckily for my grandfather, the US Navy wasn't so picky, and he was allowed to serve his country in the Korean war.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That's nice.

So if my grandfather, who used to take me to gun shows when I was a child, were to speak Spanish in front of this dealer, he would not be permitted to buy a gun from him?

Luckily for my grandfather, the US Navy wasn't so picky, and he was allowed to serve his country in the Korean war.

It is the dealer's absolute right to decline service to someone, anyone, he wants.  Countries run by tyrants may have other policies.  Check with them.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's nice.

It is the dealer's absolute right to decline service to someone, anyone, he wants.  Countries run by tyrants may have other policies.  Check with them.

I never said otherwise. Everyone is free to be a jackass in this country, fortunately for you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I saw that one.

He's going to refuse to return my license?

I don't think so...this could make for him having a bad day. The dude is a major tool.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I saw that one.

"Hold my license" and you'll be arrested for theft
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's nice.

I never said otherwise. Everyone is free to be a jackass in this country, fortunately for you.

Tough guy on the internet.  Relax.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#45]
There's a difference between being "racial" and being provincial.
And until we all speak one language, some people (myself) will prefer the one they learned first.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
There's a difference between being "racial" and being provincial.
And until we all speak one language, some people (myself) will prefer the one they learned first.

Umm, how do we all speak one language in this country if we do not?

Maybe I'm missing your point.  Could you clarify?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#47]
No problem with that here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's nice.

That may be true, but denying service to someone who is here legally and happens to be bilingual is rather stupid, in my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's nice.

That may be true, but denying service to someone who is here legally and happens to be bilingual is rather stupid, in my humble opinion.

Stupid, but within their rights.  I never said it wasn't stupid.  Would you like to legislate said stupidity?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's nice.

Stupid, but within their rights.  I never said it wasn't stupid.  Would you like to legislate said stupidity?

No, that wasn't my point at all. While a few people xenophobes may give him extra business for it, I have a feeling that others might be driven away. That's the magic of capitalism - your business may fail because you are a moron.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top