Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 30
Posted: 2/17/2007 4:15:49 PM EDT
I was checking out the articles on outdoorlife.com and saw the mention of the AR15.  I open up the article by Jim Zumbo who is/used to be a fairly respected outdoor writer, and read how theese rifles have no place in the hunting fraternity because people will lump them in with those who go around the world terroriving people with them.  He also states, "To most of the public, assault rifles are a terrifying thing."
Up until this point I have enjoyed his articles and the magazine.  I can honestly say that after reading his comments on these guns, that anything I have read of his was a waste of my time.  It is hard to support a magazine/writer that is so willing to try to divide the shooting community.

If I knew how to hot link it I would but here it is anyway:
http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html

You should check it out

Added by raf.   Additional links:  PLEASE DO NOT HOTLINK FROM THIS SITE!

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Latest list. Removed one or two addresses that weren't good anymore. Alot of the Swarovski optics adresses replied with "message refused", but I left them on anyways, since it might just be some sort of spam blocker.

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The stupidity of some people is amazing...especially so-called shooters.

HH
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
We need an Arfcom fire mission...
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
...better served with a gun (like a bolt, lever or single shot) that is likely lighter and more reliable anyway

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't tell us, tell him!!

Anyway to email him or Outdoor Life?
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
We can't hunt with them in PA, anyway
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't tell us, tell him!!

Anyway to email him or Outdoor Life?

right at the bottom of the page.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep Yep, ya see here Jim-bo, as long as I got dis here 30-30 and dis 12 gauge I'll always be free, who need dem damn assault rifles anyway
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Subscription cancelled.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#10]
We're our own worst enemy

We must hang together or else we shall surely hang separately

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#11]
OST for Tropical Shitstorm Jim.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Basically the comment I left him
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Idiots, everyone knows that an AK47 is the real terrorists rifle...
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Idiots, everyone knows that an AK47 is the real terrorists rifle...

we need to flood this guys page with comments.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#15]
By that logic, we should divorce ourself from the Fudds when it comes to 2nd Amendment preservation because 2A doesn't mention hunting.  Let's ban lever actions from the arms we bear to protect the Free State.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure the folks from Remington are saying "Oh shit!  I had no idea this Zumbo guy was going to trash the weapons that we supply ammunition for."

I'm sure they ate the coyotes they shot too so the animal-rights activists wouldn't be as pissed.  What a self-serving, preaching son of a bitch.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We need an Arfcom fire mission...

Roger that!

*switches channel*

Request Fire mission, over

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Assault Rifles For Hunters?
As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.  

I also have no interest in using a combat-type gun in the woods. Auto rifles (especially those with large magazines) tend to promote a "spray and pray" mentality, rather than a deliberative and carefully chosen humane harvest. Already too many hunters take impulsive shots at running game. Neither the image of hunters as commandos nor the sight of wounded game will help us with the public perception of hunting. I understand that using a combat rifle of this type does not FORCE a hunter to hunt impulsively, but the vast majority of hunters will be better served with a gun (like a bolt, lever or single shot) that is likely lighter and more reliable anyway. If you insist on using an auto, there are plenty of sporting models that have more than enough firepower for game. If you don't care who you intimidate by the look of your firearm (or you secretly enjoy looking like Rambo), you are not caring enough about the public perception of our endangered sport.

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn.  I always read his stuff as I can really realate to his hunting ethics and writings.  I can't believe it.  Really dissapointing.

We need a channel for this!
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Divide and conquer. We don't need antis with Fudds like this. Wait'll his hunting rifle is reclassified as a "sniper rifle".
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Assault Rifles For Hunters?
As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.  

I also have no interest in using a combat-type gun in the woods. Auto rifles (especially those with large magazines) tend to promote a "spray and pray" mentality, rather than a deliberative and carefully chosen humane harvest. Already too many hunters take impulsive shots at running game. Neither the image of hunters as commandos nor the sight of wounded game will help us with the public perception of hunting. I understand that using a combat rifle of this type does not FORCE a hunter to hunt impulsively, but the vast majority of hunters will be better served with a gun (like a bolt, lever or single shot) that is likely lighter and more reliable anyway. If you insist on using an auto, there are plenty of sporting models that have more than enough firepower for game. If you don't care who you intimidate by the look of your firearm (or you secretly enjoy looking like Rambo), you are not caring enough about the public perception of our endangered sport.

Is this piece of tripe an article you are quoting or your own thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Auto rifles (especially those with large magazines) tend to promote a "spray and pray" mentality, rather than a deliberative and carefully chosen humane harvest.

He obviously hasnt seen the average hunters here or at the range, they cany hardly hit shit
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Read the replys.  They do not moderate/edit them.  Be gentle and polite.  But to the point.

I know this because my reply is up there now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#24]
This guy's just another that Bugs Bunny could fool with one ear and one leg tied behind his back.

Drivel is his middle name.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#25]
This is what I posted as a reply:

I cannot believe I just read that. For a minute, I thought I was on the Brady website.

The "Traditional" rifles (wood stock, bolt action) are all but gone at high power matches. Looking over the stats from Camp Perry this year, I seem to remember that most of the winners used (gasp) AR-15 stle rifles.

If you are afraid of an inanimate object because of the way it looks, I humbly suggest you seek professional help.

(I know somebodys gonna say, "I know alot of people useing 1903's for highpower")
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#26]
[email protected]

I'm am floored.

We ALL must stand together.

I just know his kind, A foolish old democrat brainwashed by the media, trying to fit in with god know who.

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Post made.

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#30]
His blog site has been effectively INVADED!!!  Keep posting them boys.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I gotta say, I have been really impressed with the comments that the ar15.com group has been leaving on their site.  A lot of good points have been made with intelligence and good reasoning, which is far better than their logic.  Keep it up
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#34]
There have been some absolutely OUTSTANDING responses posted.

Great job.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#35]
The dude is a ignorant remington shill.  His honesty and integrity has been bought and paid for.  

nothing more nothing less.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Who are the people linking this thread there, are they from here and if so why are you doing that?
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Go to www.outdoorchannel.com/company.cfm?ss=16&site=1&subject=feedback

and tell then how you feel.

I said:

Jim is an enemy to our shooting sports and I request that he be dropped from your programming.

Please see his blog http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html#comment-60816410

His kind will be the end of shooting sports in America.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Zumbo must have had a bull elk step on his head or something.

As for all the "fudds" comments. I know plenty of folks (me included) that hunt and shoot ARs. These comments don't bother me, but they are counterproductive for our cause. Seriously.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow. Really no words for this guy. Someone took a dump on the Internet and put a white mustache on it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Funny thing.
An issue of Fur-Fish-Game a few months ago had an article by noted outdoor writer/predator claller/turkey and deer guide/former Colorado game warden Judd Cooney, about how HE recently made the switch to a heavy barrelled AR 15 (BM) after hearing all the good,and how he couldn't be more impressed.

Used to like Zumbo.Weenie-punk!
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#43]
There's no fool like an old fool.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#45]
www.outdoorchannel.com/company.cfm?ss=16&site=1&subject=feedback

Tell them to remove him from their schedule.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I left a comment, and it was articulate and frank. I think most of the other posts have been pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#47]
You know, just for the heck of it, I clicked over to one of his other articles and I see where he writes "But bottom line, whatever we hunt with, and however far we elect to shoot, we indeed are in the same fraternity...As they say, different strokes for different folks.  Enjoy it however you hunt."
This is amazing to me.  Does he not hear the words coming out of his mouth, and not take his own advice?  This was from his long range shooting blog.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Damn, just damn. I can't believe a gun owner and hunter wrote this.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Ironically, the AR-15 was originally introduced as a sporting/hunting firearm.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I agree.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top