Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/17/2006 2:03:34 PM EST
Link: http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2006/07/heads_up_for_ca.php#more

LA County Gun Task Force Serving Search Warrants
LAPD & LASO Might Be Knocking On Your Door Next!

LA County Gun Task Force Serving Search Warrants

Officers from the Los Angeles County Gun Task Force in CA have begun serving search warrants on residents in that county who are suspected of holding un-registered "Assault Rifles" including 50 BMG target rifles.

If you or any of your friends have not complied with the provisions of AB-50 that require you to register any 50 BMG rifles you own, you may very well expect a knock on your door at any time.

This information was received from a former ATF agent in CA:

"I have a friend who had a search warrant executed by the LA gun task force at his apartment, which is located above a home, within LA city limits a few months back. This task force is headed up by ATF, with LAPD and LASO being the primary agencies participating. Pursuant to the warrant execution, one Springfield M1A with its' original flash hider attached and numerous .50 cal incendiary type bullets (Projectiles) were seized. My friend was not arrested at the time and led to believe the case might not even be prosecuted. The task force left his entire gun collection, which is extensive, with him at his apartment. A little more info here for you to consider. My friend has no criminal record of any kind, is a decorated Vietnam vet, is gainfully employed as a carpenter, and is law abiding.

A couple of weeks ago, the task force came back to his apartment and arrested my friend and charged him with five felonies. He was taken to jail where he remained for two days until his bail was set and met. He is charged with being in possession of an unregistered assault rifle, and in possession of destructive devices, and in possession of destructive devices within so many feet of a school. Five felonies under California law in total.

Being a retired ATF special agent myself, I contacted the case agent who happens to be a LAPD detective assigned to the task force. I asked him why such a chicken ##### case was being prosecuted. Why were they ruining my friend's life after his service to our country and the fact that he has no past criminal record. I asked him what happened to law enforcement using common sense and discretion in a case like this. The detective told me they didn't make the laws, but it was their job to enforce the law and that the DA has a no tolerance policy regarding firearms.
I tried to explain to him that the M1A rifle with its' original flash hider was legally sold to 1000's of people in CA before the assault rifle law was even enacted. Many of these original owners to this day do not know they are in violation by having the flash hider on their rifle. The detective didn't care. I explained that on at least two prior occasions I had contacted DOJ myself and had been informed the explosive bullets were legal in California as they are under ATF law, as long as they were not loaded into a case and able to fire. He said that was incorrect info and that under CA law the bullets alone are destructive devices and that each individual bullet could be charged separately."

During the past several months FCI has received several inquiries from people who are possibly California residents who have been asking what they should do because they hadn't registered their firearms before the required date. We have told everyone they need to contact an attorney to find out the best possible way to deal with this situation.

Also be aware that I spoke to Bill Ritchie at EDM Arms, Inc. recently and he had several customers who had purchased 50 BMG target rifles on a time payment program. The customers had not picked up their rifles before the expiration of the registration period and now all the firearms have to be turned in to the Dept of Justice in CA for destruction.

This is a very serious matter for owners as well as manufacturers. It appears that LA County Gun Task Force and DOJ in CA are looking for an opportunity to make an example out of an otherwise Law Abiding citizen. Don't let it be you. Seek good legal advice before you get a knock on your door when you least expect it. <<<<<

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:10:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bend:
The detective told me they didn't make the laws, but it was their job to enforce the law

i hate that chickenshit statement. so much evil has been justified by the old "we were just following orders" excuse.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:10:57 PM EST
door to door confiscation should equal dead police officers.

Shall not be infringed.

Good bye free america. Hello whatever you want to call it, but it's not freedom
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:12:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2006 2:12:53 PM EST by DK-Prof]
You'd think a former ATF special agent would provide some case numbers when ranting about his good friend's arrest and prosecution.

Color me skeptical so far.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:15:20 PM EST
So it begins
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:16:53 PM EST
Bullshit!

Door to door confiscation could NEVER happen in Amerika!

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:17:21 PM EST
CA DOJ is fairly pissed about the whole lower receiver fiasco, so this doesn't surprise me if it is true. They are going to start making examples of people even if its not an AR lower that they are doing the JBT treatment on.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:19:17 PM EST
Aw, fuck California, the communist assholes that they are! The sooner that shithole slides off into the Pacific, the better!
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:20:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2006 2:22:32 PM EST by ORinTX]
That story sounds like BS, but if it's true there are going to be a lot of real paranoid californians. When I lived there I knew a ton of guys who had unregistered ARs and AKs.

ETA: I wonder what the arfcom kali apologists will say about this one. "Seriously guys, if you live in the right county it's a good state to be a gun owner in! I can buy a keltec wannabe AR clone with a 10 round magazine and if I make enough money I can buy my right to carry from the politicians!"
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:21:44 PM EST
What I want to know is why is the ATF enforcing state law?

Trial runs for future confiscations?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:23:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By Maxwell71:
So it begins
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:25:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
Aw, fuck California, the communist assholes that they are! The sooner that shithole slides off into the Pacific, the better!

7th largest world economy, what has your state done for the union lately?

From the latest polls and elections, this state is becoming increasingly conservative, we just have LA/SF controlling the majority of the politics due to their national/global influence and the sheer population.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:26:08 PM EST
Forget them. They're already Aztlaners. Why would we want Aztlaners to have access to quality stuff anyway?

If you want to be armed like an American, move to the United States.

If all the gun owners in CA bailed to "purple" states many would go clear red.

Lost cause.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:30:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2006 2:30:58 PM EST by danonly]
Originally Posted By ORinTX:
When I lived there I knew a ton of guys who had unregistered ARs and AKs.

I think the DOJ is going after people they know don't have their stuff on the registry. Especially 50's. I did get pretty much an exact copy of the original post from FCI today/ yesterday. If they have a search warrant for a possible unregistered 50, and find other stuff, you are hosed.

edit- Paul, i hope you have all your ducks in a row.

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:36:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By Drakich: What I want to know is why is the ATF enforcing state law?
Hmnmmmm...... something like this would NEVER happen in America. Right? Why would the Federal government serve as a tool of the state government?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:38:45 PM EST
At least the streets will be safer!
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:39:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2006 2:39:53 PM EST by California_Kid]

There are more AR-15 rifles and firearms in general in California than in any other state, my friend.

And your understanding of plate tectonics is dismal.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:40:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By LOW2000:

7th largest world economy, what has your state done for the union lately?

From the latest polls and elections, this state is becoming increasingly conservative, we just have LA/SF controlling the majority of the politics due to their national/global influence and the sheer population.

Won't matter if your state goes conservative or not when you have no firearms to protect you against tyrany.....at that point....it's whatever those in power say it is.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:41:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By AROptics:
...If all the gun owners in CA bailed to "purple" states many would go clear red....

I read on another thread that Texas is all full and they're not accepting any immigrants.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:41:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By wine_lover:
door to door confiscation should equal dead police officers.

Shall not be infringed.

Good bye free america. Hello whatever you want to call it, but it's not freedom

You're just GD chest beating

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:41:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By California_Kid:

There are more AR-15 rifles and firearms in general in California than in any other state, my friend.

very possible, but what good does that do?

and the story stinks to high heaven, but who knows anymore...
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:46:22 PM EST
Any REAL info on this going on?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:46:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:

very possible, but what good does that do?...

What good is achieved by an ignorant person referring to all of us here as Communists or Aztlaners, or blathering about the state falling into the ocean?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:47:26 PM EST

I hear that alot. Could you link me to a page that shows what states have how many firearms ?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:53:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2006 2:54:16 PM EST by thedoctors308]

The detective told me they didn't make the laws, but it was their job to enforce the law and that the DA has a no tolerance policy regarding firearms.

Sounds like what we hear many ARFcom LE say, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:55:38 PM EST

very possible, but what good does that do?

and the story stinks to high heaven, but who knows anymore...

that email is the exact copy of one i got today or yesterday from FCI. they usually are straightforward, but i asked them for a case number. we will see what they respond with.

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:55:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2006 2:56:30 PM EST by AROptics]
Seems like they are going to have your guns and your voting rights with them (as if they are worth a damn in CA anyway...). After you're branded a felon, you won't be able to vote or own any gun no matter where you move.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:57:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By fossil_fuel:

The detective told me they didn't make the laws, but it was their job to enforce the law

i hate that chickenshit statement. so much evil has been justified by the old "we were just following orders" excuse.

That is the excuse that Nazi/SS members used.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:58:13 PM EST

very possible, but what good does that do?...

What good is achieved by an ignorant person referring to all of us here as Communists or Aztlaners, or blathering about the state falling into the ocean?

Well, it only shows their ignorance and hatred. I really don't care they call me a commie or astlander because I am neither.

...been called worse

eta: see ya guys in a bit the moving truck is here
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:06:20 PM EST

++1.9^9
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:09:42 PM EST

haha nice! now THIS is an intelligent statement.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:12:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Any REAL info on this going on?

What he said.

Oh, shit I quoted myself instead of hysteria posting based on unsubstantiated info.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:16:24 PM EST
"Any REAL info on this going on?"

I've run Google every way and sideways and can not find any more. Guess we wait and see.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:19:51 PM EST

Agreed, and may that DA fucking die a slow and painful death.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:21:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By sirbordsalot311:

haha nice! now THIS is an intelligent statement.

+1

Where's Paul to put the beatdown on this?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:21:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By CitySlicker:

Oh come on now.
As bama-shooter always says, if you don't like the laws, work to change them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:23:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

Originally Posted By CitySlicker:

Oh come on now.
As bama-shooter always says, if you don't like the laws, work to change them.

If you are going to attempt quoting me.

Do it in the context of the conversation at the time.

Otherwise it makes you look like an ass.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:23:37 PM EST
I didn't register my evil black assault rifle when I lived in San Diego. Nobody knocked at my door.

Of course, I relocated it to AZ where I planned to move, but the .gov didn't know that.

To identify .50 BMG owners, they would have to look over every 4473 in every gun store. That just ain't right.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:25:32 PM EST
Are incendiary rounds DD's in some states?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:28:28 PM EST
They knew the law, they broke the law, they are being prosecuted under the law.

I fail to see the problem.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:32:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2006 3:48:07 PM EST by AROptics]

Originally Posted By wildearp:
I didn't register my evil black assault rifle when I lived in San Diego. Nobody knocked at my door.

Of course, I relocated it to AZ where I planned to move, but the .gov didn't know that.

To identify .50 BMG owners, they would have to look over every 4473 in every gun store. That just ain't right.

I know you'll be quoting this and that, but a beat cop can run a long gun, bought in CA since the waiting period started, and get a return on the purchaser in under a minute.

If this poster's quoted story proves to be true, I'd be looking for nice stuff at gun shops in NV and AZ in the next couple weeks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:34:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2006 3:39:58 PM EST by pieeater]
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:34:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
You'd think a former ATF special agent would provide some case numbers when ranting about his good friend's arrest and prosecution.

Well, you are from MO....

It is not uncommon for stories like this to be in the local Cali papers. If you are skeptical, you have not been paying attention.

I hope you came to America for the jobs and the wimmenz and not for the freedom. 'cause if it was for the latter, you fell for some slick false advertising.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:36:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By Riotgun:

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:38:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's an FFL out here. There are a couple of arfcommers who deal with him, and say he is retired ATF. I've talked with him on the phone before, he's a good guy.

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:39:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2006 3:56:14 PM EST by douglasmorris99]
to the poster suggesting the wait for California to slip into the ocean..

SIR!
being a Texan,
being a Texan in California who doesnt like it but, for my own reasons will be in california at least 6 more months.
being a land owner in Texas and having several Mississippi families staying on my properties in east and central Texas for over 6 months post Katrinia rent and responsibility free
Being a Texan who left California for 3 weeks, at his own expense, who ran chainsaws, drove truck, hauled water, repaired more than a few houses and insured at least 9 different families, only one his own were safe, housed, dry and gotten a leg up Post Katrina
lastly, being a Texan in California that owns property in the state Mississippi..
I am offended your cursing my life and wishing the death of millions of innocents inclusive of women and children, the old and helpless, the feeble, the weak....you are a reprehensible excuse for a human being..

I do not agree with the politics and more than a few laws in California,
I dont care for the taxation with out representation that seems to infect the politicos of the state government, then again, it seems to have infected most of DC as well..
but, California is a state of the union of the United States of America. the majority of the people here are U.S. citizens, and no more deserve the above referenced statement than the man in the moon...

you are a scoundral of the lowest form..
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:45:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2006 3:47:32 PM EST by operatorerror]

Originally Posted By bookertbab:
Are incendiary rounds DD's in some states?

Incendiary rounds are illegal in California.

The place burns very readily without help from idiot shooters with inappropriate backstops.

ETA But classified as DDs? I don't know.

And I haven't heard anything locally.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:47:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2006 3:48:21 PM EST by rara1141]

Originally Posted By Riotgun:

The 'law' you speak of is pure bullsh*t. The 'law' you speak of made criminals out of law abiding citizens (for legal purchases at the time) for doing literally nothing.

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:52:50 PM EST

This task force is headed up by ATF, with LAPD and LASO being the primary agencies participating

This right here should be a clue. As much as we all dislike BATF, I don't believe they would be out enforcing STATE laws.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:54:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By Drakich:
What I want to know is why is the ATF enforcing state law?

Trial runs for future confiscations?

That is why I have a hard time believing the story.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 3:54:07 PM EST
My first ever tag.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top