Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2016 3:43:30 PM EDT

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Too bad it didn't go on for another 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of those kids have been fighting almost their entire lives......
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
First thing I caught was some of the looks on those kids faces.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some interesting weapons ( E. German AK, Garand (Iranian)...) in there etc...but yea, those kids.....
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't like to see kids engaged in war, maybe it's the parent in me coming out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Found more at the link at the bottom of some of the photos

http://fouman.com/Y/Get_Cats.php?cat1=Military&lax1=English

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]
They had to let the majority of pilots out of prison. Even today their Air Force is not seen as politically reliable.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#10]
The most important one on that site.

FUCK IRAN,  with Obama's aids infested, crusty dildo

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Iran pretty much gutted their military right after the revolution....Nearly bit them in the ass.  
View All Quotes

Didn't learn shit from Stalin did they?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#12]
You can tell that none of these photos were taken on Thursday.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Stop destroying t55s!

Need to buy one someday.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
That one guys RPK
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can tell that none of these photos were taken on Thursday.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
It was a simpler and more civilized age.

Maybe with a lot of work the region can progress back to what we see in those photos. No eating the hearts of captured prisoners. setting people on fire, heck most of the guys in the pictures are even wearing uniforms.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Phantom II !!!

(insert sound byte of low level phantom flyby here)

woo wooo!
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://danamotor.ir/US_Embassy_Hostages.jpg

View Quote

You mean "fuck people for not liking those that installed&supported oppressive overlords"?
Funny, I thought liberty was a core American ideal.

The whole Iran thing is really a damn shame, US has consistently made a mortal enemy of them in a retarded escalation.
Fighting on the side of Saddam fucking Hussein and covering up for him gassing Kurds was the lowest point in FGHWB presidency (my bad, that was Reagan, FGHWB rescinded, replace with FRR).

/end trolling

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halabja_chemical_attack#Allegations_of_Iranian_involvement
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#19]
some times war  just sucks period.  no matter  what side your on.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I remember when Iraq set a grid of wires into a salt marsh, hooked to a HUGE generator.
Genny was turned on when the Iranians entered, mass casualties.
Bodies were used a fill.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

It did...it just started again in 2006.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Is that picture of the migs over the ziggurat at Ur?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Met a lot of old timers that fought in it when I was there.  Iraq then, and Iraq now were very differnt, and even more so pre-Saddam.

The Iran Iraq war monument in Baghdad is insanely massive.

Crap pic, but I took it from the end of the drive.  The road is all granite, and the ledge on the left is all marble. At the end you can make out a humvee for scale.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#24]
No dags in those pics either.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You mean "fuck people for not liking those that installed&supported oppressive overlords"?

The whole Iran thing is really a damn shame, US has consistently made a mortal enemy of them in a retarded escalation.
Fighting on the side of Saddam fucking Hussein and covering up for him gassing Kurds was the lowest point in FGHWB presidency (my bad, that was Reagan, FGHWB rescinded, replace with FRR).

/end trolling

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halabja_chemical_attack#Allegations_of_Iranian_involvement
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/end trolling

C'mon now - it's the new normal.   You can't criticize American foreign policy or possibly look at the last 60 years using critical thinking.  And try not to learn too much about the rest of the world, everything you need to know is on network TV.

Remember, "Those other countries beat us all the time, we never win any more.    Iran beats us all the time."  I wonder what some of those kids would say about that if they could.  

Of course, none of that really justified taking the hostages. One of the hostages was from my town.  But we'd be better off if we tried, at least a little bit, at least sometimes, to see the other side.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Is that picture of the migs over the ziggurat at Ur?
View Quote
F4's

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

C'mon now - it's the new normal.   You can't criticize American foreign policy or possibly look at the last 60 years using critical thinking.  And try not to learn too much about the rest of the world, everything you need to know is on network TV.

Remember, "Those other countries beat us all the time, we never win any more.    Iran beats us all the time."  I wonder what some of those kids would say about that if they could.  

Of course, none of that really justified taking the hostages. One of the hostages was from my town.  But we'd be better off if we tried, at least a little bit, at least sometimes, to see the other side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/end trolling

As I see it, the problem is that certain things are beyond fixing. US State Dept seems to harbor this braindead notion that there are "good guys" abroad that are worth supporting. In reality, in most conflicts, all factions are about equally abhorrent. Therefore, interventionist foreign policy inevitably gets one in bed with horrible fucking people.

Case in point:
http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/26/exclusive-cia-files-prove-america-helped-saddam-as-he-gassed-iran/

Oh, and some of my favorite propaganda :
https://theintercept.com/2015/02/26/midst-war-ukraine-becomes-gateway-europe-jihad/

IMO the best solution for unstable countries are authoritarian/fascist regimes. I know it sounds horrible, but anything else and the whole place goes to shit. ... Come to think of it, it backfired in Iran, so what do I know. Maybe redefine as "authoritarian/fascist regimes that people actually like".
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

IMO the best solution for unstable countries are authoritarian/fascist regimes. I know it sounds horrible, but anything else and the whole place goes to shit. ... Come to think of it, it backfired in Iran, so what do I know. Maybe redefine as "authoritarian/fascist regimes that people actually like".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/end trolling

This was my conclusion after serving in Northern Iraq and studying foreign policy and international relations theory.  Stability is what matters.  That does not mean things won't or can't change for the better in those countries. It does mean that tossing dynamite into the situation based on some jingoistic bullshit is a bad plan.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder how the iranian g3s fared in service. Wasnt it the service rifle of the army before the revolutuon?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I wonder how the iranian g3s fared in service. Wasnt it the service rifle of the army before the revolutuon?
View Quote
Yep along with the M1 Garand.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This was my conclusion after serving in Northern Iraq and studying foreign policy and international relations theory.  Stability is what matters.  That does not mean things won't or can't change for the better in those countries. It does mean that tossing dynamite into the situation based on some jingoistic bullshit is a bad plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I wrote about that - basically you can't have "representative government" without prosperity, you can't have prosperity without stability, and for stability you have to first have a dictator for a few decades.

Here's the long and not too well-written piece: Why bringing democracy rarely works

However, looking at the problems autocratic regimes have these days, I'm worried that perhaps the world is changing too quickly and these over-centralized and corrupt systems can't adapt fast enough.
That is pretty bad because it means either chaos, or some kind of a collectivist regime (those are not necessarily bad, but often are, e.g. ISIS or Khmer Rouge).
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Wasn't this the war that the Islamists realised that they suck at conventional fighting and decided that blowing up Mosques and Markets was much more effective?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wasn't this the war that the Islamists realised that they suck at conventional fighting and decided that blowing up Mosques and Markets was much more effective?
View Quote

Not aware of this, would be interested to hear more. My understanding is that the war was reasonably conventional, with the usual serving of war crimes on the side.

As for Iranians sucking, US was backing Saddam. It wasn't exactly an even fight. Without US warships/intel/FAC/weapons, I think Saddam would lose hard.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not aware of this, would be interested to hear more. My understanding is that the war was reasonably conventional, with the usual serving of war crimes on the side.

As for Iranians sucking, US was backing Saddam. It wasn't exactly an even fight. Without US warships/intel/FAC/weapons, I think Saddam would lose hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is all just conjecture on my part as the only other ME Islamic military conflict was when Iraq invaded Kuwait but that was pretty well one sided.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, you're thinking of the 6 Day War.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#36]
What's with all the East German AKs?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Shame that shit didn't go on for another 30 years or so.  It was highly effectively at eliminating hajis.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

My first thought as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

What's with all the East German AKs?
View Quote
Iran's army was pretty much in tatters so they got arms from wherever they could. Iran wasn't enemies with the Commbloc nations so

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Tomcat Ace, Whats not to like.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalil_Zandi
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is all just conjecture on my part as the only other ME Islamic military conflict was when Iraq invaded Kuwait but that was pretty well one sided.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say the biggest conflict where islamists learned to use terrorism against a conventional army was Afganistan vs. Soviets/local communists. It was pretty similar to US war in Iraq - IIRC the hajis won less than five engagements at company level during the entire war,  but the expenditure to keep killing them was just too much. And the more they destroyed the country, the more power they got.

Plus of course Israel was another proving ground for terrorist attack methods.

Later, similar tactics were used in Kosovo (where US was also on the same side as UBL), Tajikistan, Caucasus, etc. Now it's "moderates" and ISIS in Syria. Same problem as Rhodesia or the aforementioned wars - can never defeat terrorists if they have international backing and safe havens in neighboring countries. Even if they are ultimately pushed out, they won't need a large force to do mass shootings / car bombings. EDIT: I posted an interview at some point with a guy who said Syrians are using citizen's militia as a solution to terrorism, but I won't discuss it here not to derail the thread further.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which is weird because they fucking suck at it in reality.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Human waves didn't help the Iranian side. They lacked tactics. Sending in waves of kids with plastic keys which will open the gates of heaven.

Russians were supplying the Iranians

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top