Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2015 7:51:21 AM EDT
This completely hypothetical. Say someone was carrying a concealed firearm without a valid carry permit in an area that is illegal to carry a firearm. While they are there someone else comes in and starts shooting people. The person without a permit draws, shoots and kills the shooter, thus stopping a mass shooting. What would happen to the person carrying illegally?

Now with poll
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Today's climate: Probably 3rd degree murder
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Here in RI , you'd get your shit pushed in.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Today's climate: Probably 3rd degree murder
View Quote
But would they receive the full sentence?

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#4]
If they can legally possess a gun, then I'd let them go. No charges.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#5]
In Nebraska you can technically carry without a permit by using an affirmative defense - IOW, you admit you were breaking the law by carrying concealed, but since it was for a law abiding purpose you are not guilty.  I wouldn't want to be a test case, but in theory you would be protected.  I don't know if this would extend to carrying in a prohibited area, though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In Nebraska you can technically carry without a permit by using an affirmative defense - IOW, you admit you were breaking the law by carrying concealed, but since it was for a law abiding purpose you are not guilty.  I wouldn't want to be a test case, but in theory you would be protected.  I don't know if this would extend to carrying in a prohibited area, though.
View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I was watching a show on TV which showed videos and background stories of real shootings. One of them was a felon in a barber shop getting a haircut. When he left someone pulled a gun on him and started shooting. He pulled his own gun in self-defense and killed the guy. The police cleared him for the self-defense shooting but the program said he was sentenced to 5 years in prison because he was a felon in possession of a firearm.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Allowable

I saw it on The First 48 lol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#9]
All depends on what state.

MD, you'd be going to jail.  Screw that hole.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#10]
In New Mehico, getting caught (just getting caught) is a 4th degree misdemeanor. $50 fine, judge admonishes you, you get your gun back. (At least that is what I've been told.)

In the case of a shooting, for the first 2 days, the news media would try to portray him/her as a misguided person who happened to be at the right place/right time, and remind everyone that there's a CCW law in effect. After that, as the story ages, he'd be hailed as a hero.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

There is case law all over the country regarding affirmative defense. Ohio's concealed carry law was created because a pizza delivery guy used an "illegally" carried concealed handgun to defend himself. He was charged with a crime. The Ohio Supreme Court ruled that the people of Ohio have a right to bear arms for self defense (as stated in the Ohio Constitution). That ruling effectively nullified the states law against CCW. The state legislators were left with no choice (as they saw it) other than to pass CCW laws that didn't violate the OSC ruling.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Entirely locality dependent.

Legal CCW but in, say, a school zone?  In AZ you'd get a VERY sympathetic jury.  

No CCW in the state, like NY or CA?  If it goes to a jury, you'd still have a chance of staying out of jail.

In Chicago?  Well we already know:  Jail.  Obama made sure of that while he was a state senator.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#13]
In NJ? You'd probably get just as much time as the shooter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No CCW in the state, like NY or CA?  If it goes to a jury, you'd still have a chance of staying out of jail.

In Chicago?  Well we already know:  Jail.  Obama made sure of that while he was a state senator.
View Quote

This is why "jury nullification" is so important. I would vote to aquit in any of these cases.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Back in 2002 a guy in NYC shot a burglar with an illegal handgun and got it pled down to Dis Con with 3 days in jail.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There is case law all over the country regarding affirmative defense. Ohio's concealed carry law was created because a pizza delivery guy used an "illegally" carried concealed handgun to defend himself. He was charged with a crime. The Ohio Supreme Court ruled that the people of Ohio have a right to bear arms for self defense (as stated in the Ohio Constitution). That ruling effectively nullified the states law against CCW. The state legislators were left with no choice (as they saw it) other than to pass CCW laws that didn't violate the OSC ruling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

This is a wonderful story; however, I'd love to know who paid for the pizza guy's journey from local jailhouse to state supreme court.  NRA?  Domino's?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

Put me on the jury please...

Like a father killing someone who rapes his 3yr old daughter..... Guilty, lesser crime. Time served and $100.00 fine.

Next case.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Back in 2002 a guy in NYC shot a burglar with an illegal handgun and got it pled down to Dis Con with 3 days in jail.
View Quote

Bernie Goetz served a full year; I think that was mid-eighties.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This

Like a father killing someone who rapes his 3yr old daughter..... Guilty, lesser crime. Time served and $100.00 fine.

Next case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Next case.

That (almost) exact scenario played out before. Father shot kidnapper in the head point blank ON VIDEO killing him and only got probation.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This

Next case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Next case.

Jury doesn't pick the sentence or the charge.

Guilty or not.  That's it.  If you want them to get off, not guilty is your vote.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Happened a few years ago here in GA in a Bar shootout. Guy came in with a vendetta and wanted to shoot a few people in a group one of which was illegally carrying. Aggressor was shot, can't remember if he died, and no charges where filed as everyone saw it as justified. It all really boils down to the DA and his judgement.

I'll try and find the news story.

ETA: Found it, that was a pain.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=10667

10/19/2007 12:01:00 AM
Man shot, killed at Barnacles
Police: No charges to be filed in incident

By Ryan Crawford
Staff Writer

NORCROSS - A regular patron at the Barnacles restaurant in Norcross was shot and killed early Thursday morning.

The homicide is the 41st in Gwinnett this year - the most the county has ever seen, said Ted Bailey, the chief forensic investigator at the Gwinnett Medical Examiner's office.

"And we've still got 2 1/2 months to go," Bailey said Thursday.

The old record was 40 homicides in 2006.

Detective Jason Carter of the Norcross Police Department said he doesn't expect any charges to be filed in Thursday's shooting death of Juan Ojeda, a 54-year-old Spanish man who regularly goes to Barnacles to play pool.

Ojeda appeared to have been drinking when he entered the restaurant just after midnight and he went to the patio where he asked to join a group of four people who he did not know. The group agreed, but Ojeda soon got on their nerves, Carter said.

When one member of the group said something to Ojeda, he became angry and hit one person and bit another in the neck. Restaurant workers separated the group and Ojeda left and went to his car. Ojeda returned 30 to 40 minutes later with a pistol in hand, Carter said.

People on the deck scattered and one of the patrons had a gun of his own, which he fired as he tried to get away. Carter said it was not an "aimed" shot, but it struck Ojeda in the head, killing him.

The shooter had a concealed weapons permit, and Carter said everything appeared to be in order with that gun.

The general manager of the Norcross Barnacles said he was very surprised by the incident - one his
View Quote

Carry in any place that serves alcohol was illegal at the time of this shooting.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Depends on a ton of stuff but the easy quick answer is that it depends on where you are, who the responding officers are and who the DA is.
Around here it's damn hard to carry illegally, but a good shoot is a good shoot and you would be fine.
Head south 35 miles to Atlanta, you are prob gonna get double dutch fucked.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Happened

DARBY, Pa. - A doctor wounded by a patient in a deadly shooting Thursday afternoon at a suburban hospital campus in Darby, Pa. returned fire and wounded the patient, authorities said.

Investigators believe the doctor had his own gun and acted in self-defense, Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan said.

The patient, who had psychiatric problems, opened fire after entering the doctor's office with a caseworker Thursday afternoon, Whelan said. The female caseworker was killed. The doctor appears to have suffered only a graze wound and was expected to be released from treatment later in the day.

Authorities have not publicly identified the gunman or his two victims. CBS Philly reports Whalen said the gunman was shot three times. Both the doctor and the suspect were taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for treatment, according to the station.

The shootings occurred on the third floor of a wellness center attached to Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Darby, just southwest of Philadelphia. The center, which does not have metal detectors, is attached to the hospital by a pedestrian bridge.

Just what led to the shooting was unknown, Whalen said. Two guns were recovered, and the shooting was still being investigated.

"The scene is secure. Everyone is safe," Whelan told a late afternoon news conference.

The 213-bed teaching hospital is part of the Mercy Health System, a large Catholic health care network serving the region.
View Quote

ETA: Firearms were against policy at the hospital. Not sure about actual legality. The guy kept his job.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

This completely hypothetical. Say someone was carrying a concealed firearm without a valid carry permit in an area that is illegal to carry a firearm. While they are there someone else comes in and starts shooting people. The person without a permit draws, shoots and kills the shooter, thus stopping a mass shooting. What would happen to the person carrying illegally?  

Now with poll

View Quote
If it was a justified shooting but the DA wanted to be a dick and set an example it would likely be just a ticket for the illegal carry around here.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#26]
100% depends on race of dead POS
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Allowable

I saw it on The First 48 lol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Yeah I seem to remember an episode where someone was carrying a gun and used it in self defense, but didn't have a permit. Homicide unit investigated and the evidence matched his story and they let him go.  I don't know if there were other charges added for that, as I believe all homicide detectives care about is whether you unlawfully kill another person or not, but that is how that episode ended.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#28]
In New Jersey you would do time

A similar thing happened in Hackettstown back in the 90s
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Lots of factors to consider such as location, politics of the region, race, sex of the perp, type of fun you used....
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#30]
They'd get hooked up on the concealed weapons charge but most likely not face prosecution for acting in self defense.  How's that for messed up?  In some localities they'd probably hook our young hero up for aggravated murder and felonious microaggression.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If it was a justified shooting but the DA wanted to be a dick and set an example it would likely be just a ticket for the illegal carry around here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now with poll

Yeah.  It's really 2 different things.  1)  Was the shooting in self defense legal?  If yes, good shoot  2)  The illegally carried gun may get you a problem, but around here's it's a misdemeanor anyhow.  Unlikely they would actually charge you with it though.  Especially if you had an otherwise untarnished record.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Now with poll
View Quote

You walk away and see if they find you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

A man in DC a few years ago saved a toddler from a dog using an illegally-owned handgun.

They charged him with illegal gun possession, dragged him through the courts for a while, and finally knocked it down to a misdemeanor fine of $1,000 and two months of probation.  They also kicked him out of the city.  Sorta.  
The justification was, "Well, we can't just let people break our precious gun laws and get away with it, can we?"  Because, you know, DC.  

Now, if this had been a person and not a dog?  I wouldn't want to think about it.

Source:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/gun-charge-dropped-against-dc-man-who-shot-pit-bull-attacking-child/2013/07/23/c9f6e6f6-f2e4-11e2-bdae-0d1f78989e8a_story.html
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#34]
This sort of thing has happened in Houston on numerous occaisions.
I don't remember the shooter being charged.
I have also heard of both illegal aliens and felons in possesion of a firearm being involved in a legit shooting and don't remember them being charged.
Not sure why.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
A man in DC a few years ago saved a toddler from a dog using an illegally-owned handgun.

They charged him with illegal gun possession, dragged him through the courts for a while, and finally knocked it down to a misdemeanor fine of $1,000 and two months of probation.  They also kicked him out of the city.  Sorta.  

The justification was, "Well, we can't just let people break our precious gun laws and get away with it, can we?"  Because, you know, DC.  

Now, if this had been a person and not a dog?  I wouldn't want to think about it.

Source:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/gun-charge-dropped-against-dc-man-who-shot-pit-bull-attacking-child/2013/07/23/c9f6e6f6-f2e4-11e2-bdae-0d1f78989e8a_story.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Surprised they didn't throw the book at him.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Oh I would venture to say the races of those involved would play and crucual role as well as who the politicians are.

NYC: Black guy starts shooting White commuters and a white guy with an illegal gun puts the shooter down. As much as Mayor DeBlasio and Rev Al
would want to have the white guys head on a plaque, the backlash from white commuters would be huge and nix their plans.

Beyond that who knows.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I would instruct my lawyer that the jury of my peers is made up from the folks that I saved.

That not being possible it would depend if the jury is made up of folks like me or like minded.

NOT GUILTY you don't convict folks for saving lives in a desperate life/death situation.

EBR666
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
100% depends on race of dead POS
View Quote

Don't forget the race of the shooter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now with poll

This. Then go home and install that spare barrel.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now with poll

I can't condone breaking the law on a public forum but hypothetically speaking:

Don't forget to pickup your shell casings before you flee the scene and make sure you install a new firing pin along with that barrel.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Nebraska's affirmative defense requires that the person be engaged in lawful activity that a prudent person would believe justifies the carry of the weapon. So, just going to the mall on an average day probably does not satisfy that requirement. And, it's hard to say exactly what would justify it because you would have to convince the judge that you were behaving in a prudent manner. Guidelines are vague. Delivering pizza to a rough part of town? Depositing a large sum of cash at the bank? A mob hit threatening your life? Somewhere in that continuum I'm guessing. So the affirmative defense is a fairly risky thing to bet your freedom on.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually, even before Illanoys got concealed carry, this was on the books:

(720 ILCS 5/24-10)
   Sec. 24-10. Municipal ordinance regulating firearms; affirmative defense to a violation. It is an affirmative defense to a violation of a municipal ordinance that prohibits, regulates, or restricts the private ownership of firearms if the individual who is charged with the violation used the firearm in an act of self-defense or defense of another as defined in Sections 7-1 and 7-2 of this Code when on his or her land or in his or her abode or fixed place of business.
(Source: P.A. 93-1048, eff. 11-16-04.)

Yes, you were going to forfeit your gun as it would be confiscated in Chicago (could not register a handgun in Chicago then...all guns had to be registered per Chicago code), but they could not prosecute you for the possession if you were involved in a self-defense shooting at home or fixed place of business only.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#43]
The guy (vice principal) in Pearl, MS who stopped a school shooting when he got his gun from his car, was not charged with the laws he violated.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Given that all laws restricting the possession of firearms are unconstitutional, I would imagine that the gov would be reluctant to charge the person out of fear of the case going all the way up the legal ladder, resulting in their bullshit law getting struck down.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#45]

We know what Stannis would do...

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Don't forget to pickup your shell casings before you flee the scene and make sure you install a new firing pin along with that barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And extractor.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Should just be whatever the penalty is for carrying a gun without a permit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#48]
PS: In Arizona anyone who can legally possess a firearm can carry concealed.  So unless he's a prohibited possessor, no issues.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#49]
In extreme left jurisdictiosn like San Francisco, New York city, New Jersey, they'd be prosecuted.  In other jurisdictions, not so.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This

Next case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Next case.

Not guilty of any crime, $1000 cash award for public service would be my call.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top