Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2014 6:52:55 PM EDT
Turns out I'm 3.3% Neanderthal which places me in the 99th percentile category......I guess that explains a lot.....lol
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
time to change your avatar to a club.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Are your ancestors from Spain?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you a man with 11 fingers..........

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm only 2.6% which is slightly lower than the average European.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or southern france?

OP just had to post, Basque-ing in all his glory...
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Would you let your child marry a neanderthal?  Be honest, don't brazen your way out of this.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Has Spain claimed you yet ?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have the specific country breakdown yet as those results aren't completed yet......but I always assumed German/Irish.....I'm looking at Haplo group for Y Chromosome (paternal line) and it is a higher % of southern European/Mediterranean than I would have thought.....I'm interested to see the final results ....
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't have the specific country breakdown yet as those results aren't completed yet......but I always assumed German/Irish.....I'm looking at Haplo group for Y Chromosome (paternal line) and it is a higher % of southern European/Mediterranean than I would have thought.....I'm interested to see the final results ....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I subscribe to National Geographic, so I've read articles about how far back the indigenous Spanish and Basque people go on the Iberian Peninsula, way back to the early stone age/cro-magnon era.  And they found neanderthal settlements around what's now Gibraltar.  Just speculation on my part.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you get free college and stuff?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]
DNA "tests" are the new astrology.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I would rather be descended from Neanderthals than  Lucy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a 1911, it is a club

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really.

If you have certain genetic markers found in particular ethnic groups.. Then you have certain genetic markers found in particular ethnic groups. No mysticism or pseudoscience about it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Not really.

If you have certain genetic markers found in particular ethnic groups.. Then you have certain genetic markers found in particular ethnic groups. No mysticism or pseudoscience about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really.

And that is useful... how?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#17]
How much does this cost?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Posting in this thread is useful... how?

While I have never used one of these services, and find a lot of them to be somewhat-to-highly dubious (I find a lot of them to be too shallow to really give really useful data, and believe that they extrapolate rather liberally), some people are interested in, and entertained by the though of being able to have at least some insight into their ancestral past.  Just like passing the time reading this thread was, apparently, interesting to you, these services satisfy some of their curiosity.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Everybody has Neanderthal DNA.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really.

Food for thought; people of African descent have a lower percentage of Neanderthal DNA.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Everybody has Neanderthal DNA.
View Quote

Nope. The best evidence now is that interbreeding with Neanderthals occurred a little after humans left Africa. Africans don't have Neanderthal DNA, aside from some back-migration. Europeans, Asians, Native Americans, and Australians do.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really.

You can trace back your ancestry based on various markers.  Some people are interested in how they got to where they are today.  Also 23 and Me was listing the possibility of certain health problems based on genetic make up, as certain genes are associated with certain health problems.  The FDA shut that down though.

Then you have the fact that somewhere between 10% and 20% of people have a biological father who is different than their named father.  DNA data can show that, especially if other family members do the test as well.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.

23 & me aside.  There are new medical test that are extremely useful in disease identification & medication management.  They are used to narrow the theraputic solutions and thereby speed up treatment windows.  Used for the last few years in oncology, cardiology, psych, and pain.  Other very coold things on the horizon but having the gene for a disease is only part of it.  We have to understand what triggers expression.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I just logged in to check mine.

The average 23andme user is 2.7% neanderthal.  I am 2.4%.  My brother is 2.3%.  My kid is 2.9%.  My brother's wife (Taiwan) is 2.3%.

You really are 99th percentile at 3.3%!  Not trying to be a dick, but do you have a prominent brow ridge?  Have you ever had your IQ checked?

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:59:27 AM EDT
[#25]
If you send the kit in, just put your dog's name on the paperwork.  

http://www.amazon.com/23andMe-Personal-Genome-Service-Information/product-reviews/B002QPR852

It's not worth $99 for me.  Plus they have a lousy privacy policy.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:59:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Only 2.5% for me, which means I'm more civilized than you. Most surprising results was the inclusion of French, British/Irish, and Eastern European markers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been seriously considering doing something like this. I have very limited info on my ancestry. Which is the best service to use to get as much correct ancestry info as possible?

thx
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The average 23andme user is 2.7% neanderthal.  I am 2.4%.  My brother is 2.3%.  My kid is 2.9%.  My brother's wife (Taiwan) is 2.3%.

You really are 99th percentile at 3.3%!  Not trying to be a dick, but do you have a prominent brow ridge?  Have you ever had your IQ checked?

View Quote

No worries....I have somewhat of a prominent brow and chin.....very deep set eyes.......I have not had my IQ tested but I never had any real difficulty with school.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#30]
If I never knew my grandparents and great grandparents or took the time to ask them about their grandparents, then maybe DNA testing would be interesting.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Found this selfie in OP's photobucket:

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#32]
l
Quoted:

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608030673442768978&pid=1.7
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608030673442768978&pid=1.7

lol
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your genetic makeup puts you at risk of certain chronic diseases, and you can mitigate that to an extent via lifestyle changes. For example, women's breast cancer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Your genetic makeup puts you at risk of certain chronic diseases, and you can mitigate that to an extent via lifestyle changes. For example, women's breast cancer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's interesting because medicine still can't figure out how to mitigate that.

It's a scam that gives people with little knowledge of DNA some useless information.

If you want to know what diseases run in your family, ask your relatives.

There's a huge difference between having a gene and expressing it, and these useless tests don't differentiate.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That's interesting because medicine still can't figure out how to mitigate that.
View Quote

You get tested more frequently and sooner. In the case of Angelina Jolie, she had BRCA1, which was associated with about an 85% risk of breast cancer. She had a preventive double mastectomy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You get tested more frequently and sooner. In the case of Angelina Jolie, she had BRCA1, which was associated with about an 85% risk of breast cancer. She had a preventive double mastectomy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And she is also at a risk of ovarian cancer, but she didn't get that done
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Neanderthals were considered to be smarter than the homo whatever equivalents at the time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Proof that our ancestors weren't racists.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Neanderthals were considered to be smarter than the homo whatever equivalents at the time.
View Quote

The Neanderthals had less impressive cultural artifacts than early modern humans. There's very little evidence of Neanderthal art, for example, and their tools tend to be a bit more primitive than early modern humans. The Neanderthals did have a bigger brain volume, though.

It's not really clear what the remaining Neanderthal genes in modern humans were selected for. It probably includes adaptations for cold weather/high latitude, in particular skin coloration. The Neanderthals had been in high latitudes for hundreds of thousands of years before EMHs showed up. There doesn't seem to be a consistent cline for Neanderthal genes in modern Europeans on a north/south axis, though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Proof that our ancestors weren't racists.
View Quote

It's the Marine Lance Corporal effect: young men will fuck anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top