Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2013 12:53:40 AM EDT
Just checking to see who out there had a school sponsored gun-related club in this modern era.  We did at a high school here in Washington state in 2001-2002, more specifically for trap shooting which took place at the Tacoma Sportsmen Club.  A lot of fun, guns never made it on campus of course but always met us at the club.  The school districts Superintendent fully supported, and approved funding for the initiative, and guess what -- no one shot each other.  Good fun, and looking back on it, wish we had other schools in to compete with us.  If only gun-culture, and safety was more widespread.

Additional note:  Friends dad mentioned they used to bring their rifles to school for Hunters Ed.  Wow, imagine that?
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:15:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't recall any gun clubs, however was commonplace to see rifles/shotguns
hanging in the rear window of pick-ups in parking lot of high school in the
early 70's
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
HA, talked to my sis and they do not even have the archery class in PE class anymore. It was incredibly dangerous!!! No way in hell they would let a club like this continue.
(Its a small town, my mother still lives there between her and I there has never been an accident. Im almost 27)
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#3]
At Snohomish HS we used to goto the range down the street for .22 qualification... The Jr high school a block away to shoot air rifle in the gym.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a local high school that had a trap team that would practice on a range behind the campus, I don't know if they're still around nowadays though. That was around '05-'09

At my school, just starting a paintball club was like pulling teeth. A gun club or shooting team wouldn't have even had a chance . Not for a lack of support at the school but the district was concerned about the potential liability nightmare.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Me and a buddy graduated from NYC Aviation HS in the early 90's, his father graduated from there in the 60's and they had a rifle team & range at the school (.22) we missed out it was done by then.

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:33:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There's a local high school that had a trap team that would practice on a range behind the campus, I don't know if they're still around nowadays though. That was around '05-'09

At my school, just starting a paintball club was like pulling teeth. A gun club or shooting team wouldn't have even had a chance . Not for a lack of support at the school but the district was concerned about the potential liability nightmare.

What liability nightmare existed?
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:45:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Our local high school has a shooting club.  I don't know the specifics of it because I don't have any kids in high school and it didn't exist when I was in school.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 3:31:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Arlington, VA public high schools, early 1990s.  I am pretty sure the basement range has been repurposed since then.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 3:45:30 AM EDT
[#9]
During hunting season a kid at my school parked far off campus and the SRO asks why and tells the kid to take him to his car, the SRO sees a hunting rifle, arrests and expels the kid.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 3:56:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
During hunting season a kid at my school parked far off campus and the SRO asks why and tells the kid to take him to his car, the SRO sees a hunting rifle, arrests and expels the kid.

That's BS. Kid should have just said thats where I feel like parking.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:01:00 AM EDT
[#11]
There are quite a few local High Schools that shoot competitive Trap and Field.  These are school-endorsed programs through NSSF's SCTP.

Carroll CountyMcKenzie School has an excellent boys and girls team.  They'll make you look real bad shooting against them.  They've been featured in quite a few gun magazines.

Obion County Schools also has two teams, but they aren't as well established.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:03:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't recall any gun clubs, however was commonplace to see rifles/shotguns
hanging in the rear window of pick-ups in parking lot of high school in the
early 70's

This for my High School.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:08:12 AM EDT
[#13]
In the 80's my high school in CT had a rifle team (.22's)  I think it was phased out around '86 or so
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:10:07 AM EDT
[#14]
In the late 80's we used to take our deer rifles to school on the bus and store them in the vice-principals office so we could ride the bus over to a friends house and go hunting in the woods behind his place. We had to leave our rifles in his office and lock our ammo in our lockers.

Yes this was in a tiny town in WI, most of the factories shut down in the area for deer season as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Several schools around here have rifle tams.  Western Pa.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What liability nightmare existed?

They had to worry about some dipshit high schooler getting hurt/hurting someone and having it be associated with the school.

In some states that may not be an issue but despite being in a an extremely conservative part of California, there are still more than a few sue-happy folks around these parts

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I was in HS from '01-'05 and we had a Trap & Skeet club.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Would would be the reason for expulsion? Did the kid fight it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Just checking to see who out there had a school sponsored gun-related club in this modern era.  We did at a high school here in Washington state in 2001-2002, more specifically for trap shooting which took place at the Tacoma Sportsmen Club.  A lot of fun, guns never made it on campus of course but always met us at the club.  The school districts Superintendent fully supported, and approved funding for the initiative, and guess what -- no one shot each other.  Good fun, and looking back on it, wish we had other schools in to compete with us.  If only gun-culture, and safety was more widespread.

Additional note:  Friends dad mentioned they used to bring their rifles to school for Hunters Ed.  Wow, imagine that?

Chehalis and Shelton HS both have small bore rifle teams.

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#20]
A few of the private ones around here still have them.

One of the public schools has an air rifle team and practice at the local indoor pistol range.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#21]
We didn't have any shooting clubs in my school, but during deer season there was plenty of guns found on campus. The first day of deer season there were hardly any male students to be found until about lunch time, and we all left our guns in our vehicles. We all carried pocket knives. Guess what there was no killings or violence back then (1990's). Teachers would often ask to borrow a knife. Everyone had to take gun saftey and hunters ed. in the 8th grade. There was always at least one gun in my truck. Now at the same school a gun will get you expelled for the year and a knife will get you a week. Hunters ed. is not taught anymore, either. It is sad what our country is becoming.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Not sure how 'modern era' is modern, I was part of a school shooting team in the early 80's

Looking it up, it is nice to see that the school still has a shooting team.
shooting team
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#23]
High School archery just became a sanctioned sport(just like soccer/bball/fball...).  NASP is HUGE in elementary and middle school.  4H shooting sports is still as HUGE as it was when I was a member in the 90's.  Nothing involving firearms is directly associated with the school system though.  There is some crossover from TN kids that shoot in highschool and come to KY 4h trap meets since TN does not have 4H shooting to any extent.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#24]
My high school had a shooting club, I didn't join because I'd been shooting since I was 6 and thought it was gay...   lol

I wish I'd joined.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I volunteer with the 4H shooting sports and the greatest challenge is teaching the kids that:

VIDEO GAMES HAVE "WEAPONS"
WE HAVE FIREARMS, RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS!!!

on a similar note, I saw a sign somewhere that said something to the effect of:
"Kids that hunt, fish and shoot DON't rape, murder and steal"

A lot of truth in that.  

If the country wants to do something regarding firearms that's truly "for the chillerns", they need to quit freaking coddling them and teach them how to respect and safely handle firearms! (rant over)
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Our local high schools have rifle teams.  One of the former coaches is an ARFCOMer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#27]
We had one but then again it was a JROTC high school. That school is long out of business by now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I graduated in 1999. One of the high schools I went to had more than just a "club," we had a rifle team. Competed with the other HS in state. This was in Anchorage Alaska. I shot varsity the two years I was on the team. Our indoor range was next to the basketball court.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#30]
HS rifle teams and ROTC..........those are memories of the past for me while growing up in HI.  Sadly, I don't see much of that anymore.........damm PC crowd.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I graduated in 93, we had a rifle team and could buy a pass to the smoking area for like a dollar per semester.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Plum High School in Pa has a rifle team Both of my kids are on it. Brother and sister.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

A few of the private ones around here still have them.

One of the public schools has an air rifle team and practice at the local indoor pistol range.

Grasso Tech (State Tech School) has a team as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top