Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2012 2:31:45 AM EDT
I know, not the best place to ask but its early.

I'm 21, 240 pounds. Overweight I know. I've done this before..

I woke up at 4am to piss, lay back down and start breathing like I've been running. Last time I done this was a year or two ago. I haven't been able to sleep since. I think its just in my mind and that's why I'm breathing rapidly.

Anyone else done this before?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Could be a wide range of things, from apnea to a cardiac issue to anxiety to whatever. You need to go physically see a doctor and have a workup done.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Could be a wide range of things, from apnea to a cardiac issue to anxiety to whatever. You need to go physically see a doctor and have a workup done.

i was going to say apnea.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:40:00 AM EDT
[#3]
AIDS.

ETA: Lose some fucking weight.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:41:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I was going to make a lupus joke...

But decided not to.

I will say get a check up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:43:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think its sleep apnea, would acid reflux have anything to do with it perhaps? I've had that for 4 days now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:44:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
AIDS.

Constructive criticism eh?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:46:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Constructive criticism huh..

If you thought you were gonna get useful advice in GD, you obviously haven't been reading GD for very long

Ok so you were breathing normally when you woke up and went to the can, but it wasn't until after you layed back down that you started to basically hyperventilate?

I'm no doctor, but it sounds like you have a bird flu/ebola cross. I'd probably go check with a doc for a second opinion, though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]
...Have another cigarette!!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't smoke. Never have and never will.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Constructive criticism huh..

If you thought you were gonna get useful advice in GD, you obviously haven't been reading GD for very long

Ok so you were breathing normally when you woke up and went to the can, but it wasn't until after you layed back down that you started to basically hyperventilate?

I'm no doctor, but it sounds like you have a bird flu/ebola cross. I'd probably go check with a doc for a second opinion, though.

Yeah I know, but there are some good people here that will provide a good answer.

I went to piss, laid back down and found myself breathing rapidily. I done this last year for a day or two because it was on my mind then it finaly stopped.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:48:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
AIDS.

Just stating the obvious, and what I'm sure you know too...  A whole slew of health problems from obesity, and is one of the common risk factors for sleep apnea.  Unfortunately it's not the easy answer and requires some work, not a pill.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:50:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AIDS.

Just stating the obvious, and what I'm sure you know too...  A whole slew of health problems from obesity, and is one of the common risk factors for sleep apnea.  Unfortunately it's not the easy answer and requires some work, not a pill.

Problem with me is I am a diabetic and the insulin I take adds weight. I've done diets, worked out, no luck. Been a diabetic since 3.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:54:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Think it may be sinus's too or flu or something. I had 3 nosebleeds yesterday. Hm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:57:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Think it may be sinus's too or flu or something. I had 3 nosebleeds yesterday. Hm.

See? Ebola.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:59:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Get up, drink a large glass of water, and move around a little bit.

ETA    then make an appointment for a physical
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:59:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You need to go physically see a doctor and have a workup done.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:06:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AIDS.

Problem with me is I am a diabetic and the insulin I take adds weight. I've done diets, worked out, no luck. Been a diabetic since 3.

It's the answer everyone has that they don't lose weight -  diet and work out but I don't lose weight.  It's BS.  If you're trying to lose weight and not losing it, it's real simple, you're eating too much.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:07:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AIDS.

It's the answer everyone has that they don't lose weight -  diet and work out but I don't lose weight.  It's BS.  If you're trying to lose weight and not losing it, it's real simple, you're eating too much.

Sure, are you a diabetic that takes 5-6 shots a day? That's what I thought.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:13:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you should start.  I smoke and I've never had that happen to me.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:14:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Stress will do this
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:23:13 AM EDT
[#21]
You Allready know this but,,

Step one, lose some weight

Extra weight aggravates everything, and can create problems you wouldn't otherwise have

Second question, we're the symptoms physical, mental, or both

If it was accompanied by a feeling of mental disassociation, or you weren't able to fall asleep because of racing thought, or a sense of your brain "speeding" it could very well be anxiety,

Anxiety can cause breathing problems, heart palpitations, extreme bp variations, and a whole list of other things,

Mix that with being significantly overweight, and you can legitimately have a serious cardiac incident, even just sitting in a chair watching tv. Ask me how I know.

Best advice I can give you is make a list of your symptoms. D not fucking google or web md them. Take the list to your dr, when he asks why your are there tell him what's on your list.

Attempting to self diagnose before you see a professional will make you narrow in on what you think or what to be wrong with you, and lead to you not hearing what he dr is really trying to say, or straight up ignoring him. It also has a risk of you convincing yourself you have other symptoms based on your own diagnoses in a sun conscious attempt to make it fit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:23:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Stress will do this

...and it freaks you out, and you start breathing hard, which freaks you out more.  Panic attack, but get checked out.  Dibs on guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:29:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i was going to say apnea.

Could be.  Snoring is also a side-product of apnea.

Also keep yourself well hydrated.  That will help your body go back to a resting state faster.  If you're not hydrated enough when you exert yourself you'll stay in that condition longer (which isn't good for you)
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:34:35 AM EDT
[#24]
As others have mentioned, it could be a number of things from mild to wild.  Did you get dizzy at all while you were up? Sometimes orthostatic hypotension can trigger a response. Or perhaps you just remembered a flash of the dream about Scarlett Johansson you interrupted. Especially being diabetic, you should get in with your doc just to make sure everything is ok. Try to think of any other unusual things you have felt and make a list for your doc.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:38:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AIDS.

Sure, are you a diabetic that takes 5-6 shots a day? That's what I thought.

Did you do a blood glucose test when this happend? Could be from a high BG.

Of couse insulin has an anabolic effect, but don't use that as an excuse for not losing weight. You might be able to work on that with a good endo, or even better a good diabetes consultant.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:39:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A humidifier would help with the nosebleeds.  As far as the breathing I have no idea.  Mild Asthma maybe from dry air maybe?  It would make sense with the nosebleeds but I'm no doc so YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:51:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to go physically see a doctor and have a workup done.

This. It could be anything from panic to heart failure from a heart attack, blood clot, etc. Don't pass go, don't google things and self diagnose. Talk to your doc about weight loss strategies. Insulin complicates things, but is not the root cause of most obesity. In fact, obesity can worsen insulin resistance and may be the reason you need so many injections.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:55:41 AM EDT
[#28]
In fact, obesity can worsen insulin resistance and may be the reason you need so many injections.

Indeed. But if he's on ICT the number of shots sound OK (basal two times a day, plus boluses for the meals). It's just the dose that goes up with weight. Normal consumption should be around 50-60 units per day. If it's more than that a insulin resistance is very possible.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A humidifier would help with the nosebleeds.  As far as the breathing I have no idea.  Mild Asthma maybe from dry air maybe?  It would make sense with the nosebleeds but I'm no doc so YMMV.

My nose bleeds when my blood pressure goes way up.  Need to get that checked. If you have HBP , drink alcohol and/or  take regular sinus/flu stuff  that would cause fast heartrate and nose bleeds.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:03:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Heart burn is another thing that goes with apnea. Of course, so is being overweight.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:23:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Did you feel like your heart was fluttering, skipping beats or just beating rapidly?  Nosebleeds can might just be dry winter air, or it could be from having jacked up blood pressure.  Carrying extra weight can play a role in high blood pressure.  Already have the beetus going on, coupled with the nosebleeds and the breathing issue that is apparently recurring.  There is enough there that I personally would be concerned.  Call the doc today make an appointment.  At the very least you need to make sure of whats going on.  If its nothing then at least you can be sure of that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
AIDS.

WOW HOW WITTY!

You sound like a real neat guy.

Hey OP .....go to your doc. Could be anxiety. I have had similar problems
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#33]
As you're 21 and likely don't have shit....I'm not wasting a dibs to claim your shit.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:38:49 AM EDT
[#34]
With regards to weight loss & blood sugar control, have you tried a ketogenic diet?

Works wonders.

But as for your immediate symptoms, it sounds to me like you have high blood pressure.  That would explain the rapid breathing and the nosebleeds.  Go to a pharmacy and use their free automatic blood pressure cuff.

Ultimately, your problems are being caused by your weight, though.  That is the problem you have to deal with if you want to get rid of these secondary symptoms.

A keto diet at a moderate calorie deficit, plus lots of walking, and Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength will really help you.  You just need patience.  Think months to years to get the results you want.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Many Type 1's don't have weight problems.

Write down all you eat daily, along with the calorie count.  You will probably be surprised.  You can't eat like an athlete without the calorie burn of an athlete.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
ManyMost Type 1's don't have weight problems.

Write down all you eat daily, along with the calorie count.  You will probably be surprised.  You can't eat like an athlete without the calorie burn of an athlete.

FIFY. Good advice on the calorie count!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#37]
You may have POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome).

Drink more water, exercise a bit more and go see the doc. You may have to have the supine/upright test (tilt-table) done also. Blood work will probably not show it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:13:57 AM EDT
[#38]
As well intentioned as most of these replys are, you really can't diagnose this over the Internets.

You need to see a doctor in person, and get a real evaluation.

It could anything from harmless anxiety to a potentially lethal pulmonary embolus.

Hope you feel better soon though, and best of luck with the weight loss. You won't regret it. Even 10 pounds and you will feel better.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Broad row to hoe there

Could be SVT, (an abnormally fast heart rate), or a host of other things ranging from sleep apnea, GERD, Panic Attack, to plain 'ol lard ass
Need to get checked, IMHO
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm sure a doctor will chime in and give you free advice after getting a brief blurb about what hapened with the risk of a law suit

Its easy to lose weight. I lost 30 lbs in 3 months and kept it off by not stuffing my face and working out. Stay away from all sugars/carbs. If not  count on having more medical problems that we (taxpayes) have to pay for.

look at it this way ... the money you save buying less food and meds can go towards guns and ammo
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:31:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

probably need to start then; it'll at least give you a reason to be short of breath and panting like you just ran the 100 yard dash in 7 seconds

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:37:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Its easy to lose weight. I lost 30 lbs in 3 months and kept it off by not stuffing my face and working out. Stay away from all sugars/carbs.

You might not have read it, but he's a type 1 diabetic. It won't be that easy, but still archievable with the help of his endo/diabetes counselor. Staying away from all sugars and carbs will get him from one hypoglycemia into the next one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I woke up at 4am to piss, lay back down and start breathing like I've been running. Last time I done this was a year or two ago. I haven't been able to sleep since. I think its just in my mind and that's why I'm breathing rapidly.

At 14 my cousin was 360lbs (and as a freshman was our starting center on our #2 in state football team).  By the time he was 21 he was down to 180lbs.  Now at 32 he's 175lbs and muscular and the lead singer for a country western band.

You can do it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At 14 my cousin was 360lbs (and as a freshman was our starting center on our #2 in state football team).  By the time he was 21 he was down to 180lbs.  Now at 32 he's 175lbs and muscular and the lead singer for a country western band.

You can do it.

Just don't do the country western part...

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Just don't do the country western part...

Ya aren't from around here, are ya?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You can do it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#47]
dupe post is dupe.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I had 3 nosebleeds yesterday. Hm.

Quoted:

Problem with me is I am a diabetic ....

Quoted:
....acid reflux have anything to do with it perhaps? I've had that for 4 days now.

Quoted:

I'm 21, 240 pounds. Overweight.....  

I love how you ask for advice and give ZERO medical history, then slowly trickle out these little bits of critical info.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you should start.  I smoke and I've never had that happen to me.

If you start smoking you could maybe lose some weight.  When you get hungry, just have a cigarette or two.  I smoke and I only get winded after ascending stairs, but that's a simple fix––take the elevator.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top