Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2011 6:43:08 AM EDT
No MS Paint forthcoming...pics maybe.

I have (had) one of those Home Depot 16' Krause Multimatic folding ladders. I have used it for everything over the years...very good and versatile ladder. Up until it snapped in two while I was cleaning gutters! Fortunately I landed into a back-roll on the grass rather than the concrete I was on and only got shaken up. My foot hurts and I'm a little sore but I attribute my soft landing to grace and cat-like reflexes.

The ladder is rated for 300 pounds and I weigh in at just 220. I did a google search and discovered that the very popular Krause USA Multimatic model 121499 was under recall since 1998 and Krause USA has since gone kaput....I sure hope the Home Depot hooks me up with a replacement ladder...can't hurt to ask anyway because they are not cheap. If you have one of these ladders be careful...the recalled ones have red hinge locks made of cheap pot metal...so go look!

I'm fine, just scared the shit out of me!

roy d...figuratively not literally.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank God you're alright. My old dentist took a similar tumble, from a lower height, and he is now a quadroplegic.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're going to Home Depot, get a real folding ladder –– Werner MT-22.  

They might still be on sale for $150.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got to wait until 2:00pm for the manager to come in so I can see if they will handle a return or not.

roy d... I wouldn't mind a Werner
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn dude, glad to hear you are ok.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Good to hear you are OK.

Did you have a good form, tight body position, and how was your landing?

Did you incorporate a tuck, spin or pike to your routine?

What did the judges (if any) give you for a score?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Sh!t. I gotta go home and check mine. I think it's Werner.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Ladders are dangerous M'kay...

My nephew spent 2 months in the hospital and a year relearning how to walk after he was temporaily paralysed in a ladder fall.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Good dive.  Glad your ok.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Gravity sucks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#10]

In all seriousness, glad you are ok.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Ground comes up real damn fast, doesn't it?

I had a ladder slide out from under me when I was about 8 feet up. Did a pretty good break fall. The hand I smacked the ground with hit hard enough to launch my wedding ring about 20 feet across the floor.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got to wait until 2:00pm for the manager to come in so I can see if they will handle a return or not.

Well by Gawd.  It ain't nothing for me to kick a Yankee man's ass. I'll put a pop knot on ya big enough for a calf to suck on.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Little Giant.

My wife got me one about 5 years ago.  Expensive, heavy, stable, and strong.  Love it.  Best ladder I have ever used.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Only a 6.5 from the Russian judge.

Glad you're OK.

I usually take an annual dive myself, but I'm on ladders a lot though.

It happens fast, doesn't it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't know what the Russian judge was watching.  You got robbed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well by Gawd.  It ain't nothing for me to kick a Yankee man's ass. I'll put a pop knot on ya big enough for a calf to suck on.

I'll be on you like rust on a pump handle.  How big'a boy are ya, anyways?

Looks like you ain't bigger than a bar of soap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Little Giant.

My wife got me one about 5 years ago.  Expensive, heavy, stable, and strong.  Love it.  Best ladder I have ever used.

What he said!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Please prank call them first and post it up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Well I fell from a ladder over two years ago, fractured my left heel and right head of the Tibia, was in an wheel chair for 8 weeks and off of my left foot for another four weeks. Just recently I have started jogging a bit, not much, still have pain which my ortho says I will have for the rest of my life. I was very lucky, the girl that put the cast on my left leg says that see this all the time and some of these people will never walk again.
Also the emergency room doc missed the fracture of the TIb, told me it was a bad sprain and wrapped it and I walked outa there on crutches.
Now, other than a step ladder I am forbidden from using ladders.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Glad you're ok !

I took a 20ft spill from a ladder a long time ago , shattered my left tibia and had to have it put back together......
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm glad you are OK.

When I saw your screen name I laughed. Did you needed a bambulance?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm glad you came out okay, Roy. I have spent a lot of time on ladders, telephone poles and such, and got used to it, but always kept in mind that gravity is an unforgiving bitch.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Glad to hear you're okay.

Mine resulted in a Colles' fracture.

Colles' fracture
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got nothing to add other then glad you're ok that would be scary as hell.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#28]
my brother had a home depot ladder break under him during normal use (work)
and fell, broke his arm in 2 places, ended up with a plate and 6 free screws for his trouble.

Turns out that ladder was faulty and under a recall as well if I remember, he did get a decent settlement out of it, but I'm sure he would rather not have dealt with the whole thing.
You may have some recourse if it was faulty. Then again in your case, sounds like it was just old and maybe you shouldn't be such a tightwad and buy a new ladder every decade or so! :)
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't know what the Russian judge was watching.  You got robbed.

It's because in Russia ladder breaks you, and thank goodness that didn't happen in this case.  OP, glad you're all right!
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

At first glance I thought that said "I wouldn't mind a weiner"

Too many weiner jokes on this site this week....
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

At first glance I thought that said "I wouldn't mind a weiner"

Too many weiner jokes on this site this week....

Yeah, now that he's resigning, we're going to have to start thinking outside the bun again.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad you're okay.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#33]
I have one like that looks like that!  (Google'd your model)

I'll take a close look this weekend to see what brand/model I have.  I do know that my rungs are round, as are the holes in the sides.  The hinges and ratchets also seem to be stamped steel of decent thickness.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Glad to hear you are ok. The worst part of falling for me is that second when you know it's coming and you can't stop it. I've fallen a few times, it sucks. Once I was framing a second story addition in 1992 when I was still working for other people. The Super that was there moved my ladder off of the shingles I placed it on and put it on an asphalt driveway with black ice.

I stepped of the top plate onto the top wrung and the ladder took off from under me. I fell 16 feet and landed on my back on a driveway. I blacked out and when I came to there were Mexicanos hovering over me jibbering in Spanish. They scraped me up and took me to the ER where they thought my ribs were broken. Lucky I didn't die.

I was padded up with layers upon layers and wearing bibs which I believe cushioned the blow. At my age now, I think I'd die if I fell like that again.

Glad to hear you are in one piece. Ladders are dangerous.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I have this one;

Cosco 17'  "Worlds Greatest Ladder"..

Every time i get on it, i have to tell myself "Don't Be a Pussy!"

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Little Giant.

This + 100.

I have used mine for over 5 years.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I have this one;

That fucker is heavy, i thought "hmm all aluminum" attempted to lift then found out the are lined with lead.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have this one;

That fucker is heavy, i thought "hmm all aluminum" attempted to lift then found out the are lined with lead.

Yeah. its a bit heavier than i would have liked.. but..  it works..  i hope..  

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Well the manager couldn't find any record that they carried that ladder (they did along time ago) but he gave a hundred dollar credit towards a new ladder. I paid about hundred for the old one in the 90's so it's all good. I didn't get hurt so I'm cool with it. I'm glad I didn't since Krause is no longer with us..looks like their shitty ladders came back to haunt them. I have since found a lot of stories about injuries from those things. I had a lot of faith in it since it was a 300 pound rated ladder...never expected it to snap so quickly and with no other load than me standing at a normal angle and height. I was totally relaxed when I fell. I can remember thinking, "well just damn, it figures."

The new Werner telescoping ladder I replaced it with is bigger and heavier but seems solid enough. Also a 300 pounder. I raised it and climbed it when I got home to finish the gutters. I surprised myself how jumpy I was with every creak and noise...gotta get back on that horse and ride though.

roy d....screw the Russian judge and his low score, I looked good
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top