Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/12/2011 4:53:04 PM EDT
Figured I'd ask here, since I know there's alot of Marines floating around.

I read somewhere else that certain BNs are no longer allowing pmags due to the fact that they wont fit in the new IARs, and they dont want anyone using mags that might not be compatable with the new weapons.

Supposedly Emags are still GTG.

Internet BS or real deal orders?

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't heard that.

S/F
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I read somewhere else that certain BNs are no longer allowing pmags due to the fact that they wont fit in the new IARs, and they dont want anyone using mags that might not be compatable with the new weapons.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Before I left the east coast, there was a little sign at the Annex at Hadnot Point stating that "P-Mags were no longer authorized for use in Government Weapons".  That was back in late February.

I wanted to kick someone's puppy or run over their kitten several times when I read that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Before I left the east coast, there was a little sign at the Annex at Hadnot Point stating that "P-Mags were no longer authorized for use in Government Weapons".  That was back in late February.

I wanted to kick someone's puppy or run over their kitten several times when I read that.

Sounds like Gunner's Cargille's work, he was on a no unauthorized sling kick for the last year I was there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Amazing.

The way I heard about it was, a Marine was trying to sell some pmags so "He'd stop getting bitched at for having them"

Its a shame that they're taking away soild equipment from our boys.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like Gunner's Cargille's work, he was on a no unauthorized sling kick for the last year I was there.

Is he gone?  He needs to be.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a fucking jackass Sergeant Major's decision, doing shit that doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amazing.  

The way I heard about it was, a Marine was trying to sell some pmags so "He'd stop getting bitched at for having them"

Personally, I never knew anybody affected by it, and I knew a lot of grunts.  You have to remember though, Lejeune is "close to the flagpole" at HQMC Quantico, and as such that place is full of absolute fuck.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like a fucking jackass Sergeant Major's decision, doing shit that doesn't make any sense.

But we never see that in the military do we?

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The most dangerous thing in any military branch:  Bored E9.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amazing.  

Personally, I never knew anybody affected by it, and I knew a lot of grunts.  You have to remember though, Lejeune is "close to the flagpole" at HQMC Quantico, and as such that place is full of absolute fuck.

Makes sense.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amazing.  

Makes sense.

You want to see a Marine NCO running around like a kid on Christmas, be in a Quantico office when a new outbound roster comes out.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#13]
This is required it is the corps fault for adpoting an H&K rifle the IAR- why the F H&K decided to make a rifle that soes not accept STANAG mags for the corps is only elusive than why the corps accepted a rifle with an out of spec mag well for the SAW role.

H&K wanted to F everyone to make a profit by having a special mag design the corps let them it all a bunch of bull and it hurts our guys.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The most dangerous thing in any military branch:  Bored E9.

Aint that the truth.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

This is required it is the corps fault for adpoting an H&K rifle the IAR- why the F H&K decided to make a rifle that soes not accept STANAG mags for the corps is only elusive than why the corps accepted a rifle with an out of spec mag well for the SAW role.

H&K wanted to F everyone to make a profit by having a special mag design the corps let them it all a bunch of bull and it hurts our guys.

I had no idea that the IAR doesn't accept STANAG.  That's nuts.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Been drinkin' tonight?
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The most dangerous thing in any military branch: Bored E9.

Aint that the truth.

Damn right it's the truth.  
-K

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeez, no kidding.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But we never see that in the military do we?

I remember a battalion directive during OJE saying we were no longer allowed to have anything that wasn't issued attached to our uniforms. That included knives, carabiners,  550 cord, anything. The directive was rescinded within a week followed by an order that all weapons were to have dummy cords securing them to your person.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too. I thought the IAR is a more beefier HK416, which accepts STANAG mags. Er maybe I am wrong?

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Been drinkin' tonight?
 He speaks the truth. Go read the IAR thread on Lightfighter.net.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Didn't say anything about Lancers?
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Adopting the IAR and it's concept was a dumb move in of itself. But then piling onto the mistake is having a weapon system that needs it's own special mags that aren't interchangeable between platforms?

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too. I thought the IAR is a more beefier HK416, which accepts STANAG mags. Er maybe I am wrong?

Yes to the beefy, yes to the STANAG...sort of.

For untranslatable reasons beyond the comprehension of us mere mortals, H und K elected to modify the magazine well out just slightly from standard spec.  Found it out the first time I tried to slap a PMag into a 416, and couldn't get it to seat.  Same for a Lancer mag.  Essentially, you're fine so long as you're only using an aluminum GI mag...or an HK steel wundermag (unless you drop said wundermag, in which case you're fucked).  Anything that has protrusions designed to mate up against the outer edges of an in-spec mag well will interfere or bind with the bottom of the 416 well, thus preventing the magazine from inserting far enough to lock up or feed.

HK = bag full of dicks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#25]
The USCG sent a message over a year ago removing all polymer magazines from operational units until test could be conducted.  Haven't heard anything since.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Didn't say anything about Lancers?

Will Lancers fit it?
I have both PMAGs and Lancer mags, I prefer them to metal mags.
Side track thread time: Has anyone ever done an a test to see which between Lancer and PMAG could take the most abuse?

ETA: This was answered above.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#27]
All I've ever used have been Pmags.

Same with our Platoon commander.

Same with the other gun guys...

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Hmmm this isnt the first time people have had problems with Pmags not fitting in rifles that accept Aluminum mags is it?
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The USCG sent a message over a year ago removing all polymer magazines from operational units until test could be conducted.  Haven't heard anything since.

Hell, I remember when we got a bunch of 30 rounders on the ship and that caused a big flap...........20 rounders were standard for CG back then.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amazing.  

Makes sense.

You want to see a Marine NCO running around like a kid on Christmas, be in a Quantico office when a new outbound roster comes out.

Happiness is Quantico in the rear view mirror.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't care, aluminum USGI mags still work fine...
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My friend that just shipped out said regular Pmags wont drop free.  I was pretty when I heard that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Yup. Only issue with them is they're rarely replaced/maintained. When you're working with mags from the 80's/early 90's with the same springs/followers...bad things sometimes happen. I still have some black follower ones...they feed just fine, every time.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ya they do. Ill stick to metal mags.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#35]
The Pmag never solved anything to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I'll jump on this band wagon and completely agree.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yup. Only issue with them is they're rarely replaced/maintained. When you're working with mags from the 80's/early 90's with the same springs/followers...bad things sometimes happen. I still have some black follower ones...they feed just fine, every time.

You need to go kick your supply guy and company XO in the dick.  Order the fuckin things and they show up.  We have too many mags....
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Quoted:

metal-black-green-orange edit I mean tan

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Bummer.  I used Pmags throughout my last deployment.

The older USGI mags are whatever.. they worked alright, but the newer ones they have been issuing are absolute garbage (tan follower).  Lots of failure to feed malfunctions unless you grind down parts of them.  Every dude in our unit that got here within the last year and a half has a bunch of mags that fail every time they go to fire their rifles.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm gonna be the stick in the mud, but I've bent several GI mags while trying to superman myself over walls. Apparently 190 pounds landing on them while loaded with blanks and in a mag pouch on an interceptor isn't enough protection.

Have yet to kill a Pmag, however...

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL... in theory, plastic can't rust.  Oh wait, the USGI mags are aluminum...  Then you have the fun things you get with plastic mags like easily cracked/distorted feed lips, and.... melting, ala Thermold mags and XM-8 handguards.

OK, I guess I have to hop on the bandwagon, too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to go kick your supply guy and company XO in the dick.  Order the fuckin things and they show up.  We have too many mags....

We can't even keep fucking TOILET PAPER in the building (no joke, we'll run out for weeks at a time).  Shitty mags are the one thing we have plenty of, but some other 'priority' type items we shouldn't have an issue getting, we've been short on for at least a year now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The anti-tilt follower wasn't an improvement?

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Send it up the chain of command.  Occasionally, it's amazing what you can do when you get an officer - even a junior officer involved.  Take said JO shooting with pmags.  He (or she) might be able to end said stupidity.  I don't think p-mag's are required, but the idiotic notion that you can't bring your own gear (that works 4.0 with everything in theater) to combat is just...

Disregard... I didn't know the Marines had bought the IAR POS.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL... in theory, plastic can't rust.  Oh wait, the USGI mags are aluminum...  Then you have the fun things you get with plastic mags like easily cracked/distorted feed lips, and.... melting, ala Thermold mags and XM-8 handguards.

USGI mags can't take nearly the abuse that a PMAG can take though.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure was but the follower is not a pmag. Now they have a govt anti-tilt follower that comes spec from the maker. Why they just didn't purchase them from Magpul I don't know.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My aluminum mags were old as hell and would malfunction regularly.  Feed lips and floorplates were bent due to years of abuse.  My Pmags were affordable, looked cool ( ), and I knew they would work.

I destroyed an aluminum magazine mag before ordering my Pmags.  I just like em more.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

USGI mags can't take nearly the abuse that a PMAG can take though.

This is relative to the type of abuse.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure was but the follower is not a pmag. Now they have a govt anti-tilt follower that comes spec from the maker. Why they just didn't purchase them from Magpul I don't know.

Price?

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#50]
OMG!  I mean like Flip Flops!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top