Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2011 8:28:04 AM EDT
Did a search and came up with nothing but I might've missed it.

Came across this article while reading about a movie on the Osama bid Laden killing from a Drudge link:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/universal-peter-berg-plot-january-start-for-navy-seal-saga-lone-survivor/

"Fresh from steering Battleship, Peter Berg and Universal Pictures are moving right into a January start date on Lone Survivor,
an adaptation of the book by Marcus Luttrell. The film tells the
harrowing story of how he and his Navy SEAL team members fought to stay
alive after being ambushed in Afghanistan in 2005 by Taliban forces
during a covert mission in the Hindu Kush mountain region, where the
team went to kill a terrorist leader. Berg has asked his Battleship
star Taylor Kitsch to play one of four SEAL team members who fight for
their lives. After meeting actors for the past two weeks, Berg will set
the rest of the quartet soon.

[...]

and one of the most talked about titles at Cannes has been the drama that The Hurt Locker
team of director Kathryn Bigelow and writer Mark Boal will shoot in the
fall about that SEAL Team's long tactical campaign that culminated with
the death of bin Laden."

I'm curious if anyone has heard any more about this? Is Mr. Luttrell going to be advising?

I know regardless of the ratings I'll be seeing this one and probably the bin Laden one, though both are at least a year or two out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#1]

January.

can't.

come.

soon.

enough.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

January.

can't.

come.

soon.

enough.

Yeah but they make it sound like January is just the start date for filming

How long does it take to film and produce a full-length movie? I have no frickin clue

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll start to get excited when they actually start filming.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Be interesting to see how this pans out, given the controversy over Lone Survivor's accuracy.  Especially if Marcus is advising at all.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

January.

can't.

come.

soon.

enough.

How long does it take to film and produce a full-length movie? I have no frickin clue

Usually takes at least a year for a film to end up in theaters after filming is completed. Sometimes 2 years in the case of special effect-heavy films like the "Star Wars" prequels.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Be interesting to see how this pans out, given the controversy over Lone Survivor's accuracy.  Especially if Marcus is advising at all.

Controversy? I never knew there was. Do you have some more info?

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd have to dig for sources, but Lt. Murphy's family spoke out against the events as they were described in the book, and there's been suspicion that Marcus had nothing to do with the book other than his name on the cover.  I have some memory of reading an interview where he stated that he didn't have much to do with writing the book, but it's been awhile and I don't remember where I saw it.

ETA:  One of the big things (and from what I've read, this seems to be fairly well substantiated from other sources) is that the book SIGNIFICANTLY overestimates the number of Taliban fighters who were opposing the SEALs.  Like by tenfold.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be interesting to see how this pans out, given the controversy over Lone Survivor's accuracy. Especially if Marcus is advising at all.

I'd have to dig for sources, but Lt. Murphy's family spoke out against the events as they were described in the book, and there's been suspicion that Marcus had nothing to do with the book other than his name on the cover. I have some memory of reading an interview where he stated that he didn't have much to do with writing the book, but it's been awhile and I don't remember where I saw it.

I can only recall that Murphy's family was outraged that the book stated that he was "for" killing the herders that gave away their location to the Talibs. They believed that their son would never have done such a thing, and the book was a fabrication and a defamation of his name.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd have to dig for sources, but Lt. Murphy's family spoke out against the events as they were described in the book, and there's been suspicion that Marcus had nothing to do with the book other than his name on the cover.  I have some memory of reading an interview where he stated that he didn't have much to do with writing the book, but it's been awhile and I don't remember where I saw it.

ETA:  One of the big things (and from what I've read, this seems to be fairly well substantiated from other sources) is that the book SIGNIFICANTLY overestimates the number of Taliban fighters who were opposing the SEALs.  Like by tenfold.

Wow, I had no idea. I'll have to start digging myself. Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

January.

can't.

come.

soon.

enough.

Usually takes at least a year for a film to end up in theaters after filming is completed. Sometimes 2 years in the case of special effect-heavy films like the "Star Wars" prequels.

hopefully it will be done before the end of the world.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm halfway through this book right now and would be interested to know more about the dispute. Any links?
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Be interesting to see how this pans out, given the controversy over Lone Survivor's accuracy. Especially if Marcus is advising at all.

I'd have to dig for sources, but Lt. Murphy's family spoke out against the events as they were described in the book, and there's been suspicion that Marcus had nothing to do with the book other than his name on the cover. I have some memory of reading an interview where he stated that he didn't have much to do with writing the book, but it's been awhile and I don't remember where I saw it.

I can only recall that Murphy's family was outraged that the book stated that he was "for" killing the herders that gave away their location to the Talibs. They believed that their son would never have done such a thing, and the book was a fabrication and a defamation of his name.

That's right.  Wishful thinking, who knows.

Now that I'm thinking about it more, I remember reading that in Marcus' AAR, he listed something like 15-20 Taliban, whereas the MoH paperwork for Murphy listed 50 or so, and Lone Survivor is upwards of 100.  I might be getting my numbers wrong, but that's close to proportionate anyway.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Came across this article while reading about a movie on the Osama bid Laden killing from a Drudge link:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/universal-peter-berg-plot-january-start-for-navy-seal-saga-lone-survivor/

"Fresh from steering Battleship, Peter Berg and Universal Pictures are moving right into a January start date on Lone Survivor, an adaptation of the book by Marcus Luttrell. The film tells the harrowing story of how he and his Navy SEAL team members fought to stay alive after being ambushed in Afghanistan in 2005 by Taliban forces during a covert mission in the Hindu Kush mountain region, where the team went to kill a terrorist leader. Berg has asked his Battleship star Taylor Kitsch to play one of four SEAL team members who fight for their lives. After meeting actors for the past two weeks, Berg will set the rest of the quartet soon.

[...]

and one of the most talked about titles at Cannes has been the drama that The Hurt Locker team of director Kathryn Bigelow and writer Mark Boal will shoot in the fall about that SEAL Team's long tactical campaign that culminated with the death of bin Laden."

I'm curious if anyone has heard any more about this? Is Mr. Luttrell going to be advising?

I know regardless of the ratings I'll be seeing this one and probably the bin Laden one, though both are at least a year or two out.
I thought she was going to put together the film for "Kill Bin Laden"?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/05/02/kathryn-bigelow-kill-bin-laden/

EW has confirmed that since 2008, The Hurt Locker’s Oscar-winning director Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal have been working on a film version of a book called Kill Bin Laden. They were so far along, in fact, the duo were looking to shoot their film this summer with independent financing from Megan Ellison’s Annapurna Pictures. They still plan to move forward, but while the book details the failed attempt to take out the Al Qaeda leader in the Dec. 2001 battle of Tora Bora in Afghanistan, the script will now likely change to include a much more triumphant (and Hollywood friendly) ending

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

January.

can't.

come.

soon.

enough.

I concur.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The Bravo Two Mission of the SAS in GW1 and the various books that are based on it have the same conflicts.

McNab's book Bravo Two Zero claims many, many, Iraqis, with transports and even armour support.

Chris Ryan's book The one that got away claims some of the same, and some other stuff (of course he got separated from the rest at one point).

Other books, such as The Real Bravo Two Zero claim WAY less regular military activity, and more in line with armed goat herders, and militia.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Fresh from steering Battleship, Peter Berg and Universal Pictures are moving right into a January start date on Lone Survivor, an adaptation of the book by Marcus Luttrell. The film tells the harrowing story of how he and his Navy SEAL team members fought to stay alive after being ambushed in Afghanistan in 2005 by Taliban forces during a covert mission in the Hindu Kush mountain region, where the team went to kill a terrorist leader. Berg has asked his Battleship star Taylor Kitsch to play one of four SEAL team members who fight for their lives. After meeting actors for the past two weeks, Berg will set the rest of the quartet soon.

[...]

and one of the most talked about titles at Cannes has been the drama that The Hurt Locker team of director Kathryn Bigelow and writer Mark Boal will shoot in the fall about that SEAL Team's long tactical campaign that culminated with the death of bin Laden."

I thought she was going to put together the film for "Kill Bin Laden"?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/05/02/kathryn-bigelow-kill-bin-laden/

EW has confirmed that since 2008, The Hurt Locker’s Oscar-winning director Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal have been working on a film version of a book called Kill Bin Laden. They were so far along, in fact, the duo were looking to shoot their film this summer with independent financing from Megan Ellison’s Annapurna Pictures. They still plan to move forward, but while the book details the failed attempt to take out the Al Qaeda leader in the Dec. 2001 battle of Tora Bora in Afghanistan, the script will now likely change to include a much more triumphant (and Hollywood friendly) ending

On the link straight from Drudge about Sony acquiring rights:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/sony-pictures-bearing-down-on-kathryn-bigelows-bin-laden-movie/

"I'm told that Sony Pictures is negotiating to acquire U.S. distribution
rights to the untitled Kathryn Bigelow-directed drama about Navy SEAL
Team 6's hunt for Osama bin Laden. Mark Boal, Bigelow's partner on the
Oscar-winning The Hurt Locker, is finalizing a script that
changes the film from a drama about an unsuccessful attempt to hunt the
Al Qaeda leader into a methodical hunt that culminates in his death. The
film is being fully financed by Megan Ellison's Annapurna Pictures.
Production will start in the early fall and the pic will be ready for
release in 2012."

So I think they're just adjusting their story line

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#17]
From the OP's link:

"They leaned right into it with me," Berg told me. "Bin Laden's death
has cleared the way for this, a movie that will be an unapologetically
patriotic film that honors and pays homage to an incredible group of
badass guys who do this. The film will be a bit like Black Hawk Down, but it will focus on the quartet, which is fewer guys than that film.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I will always honor their sacrifice. God Bless You Marcus!

STG2 Matthew G. Axelson
ITCS Daniel R. Healy
QM2 James Suh
MM2 Eric S. Patton
Lt. Michael P. Murphy

With the exception of Luttrell, all were killed June 28, 2005, by enemy forces while supporting Operation Red Wings.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

saying he supported killing them isnt defamation, its realizing that they can, will, and did give them up.  nothing more.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#20]
If they make a movie...I hope they don't "hollywood" the movie  
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

saying he supported killing them isnt defamation, its realizing that they can, will, and did give them up.  nothing more.

It's not like he turned out to be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If they make a movie...I hope they don't "hollywood" the movie

YOu mean like throw in some BS Haji Girl romance?   She's going back to the land of the big PX but her beau is KIA?
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#23]
In for the herp and derp that seems to be generated every time a thread like this comes up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#24]
As a fellow sailor and First Class Petty Officer I hope the director seeks out accurate information from offical sources and HM1 himself. If the company skips on facts and make HM1, his team, the navy look like a bunch of thugs or some other nonsense I will be freaking pissed!

These guys (read SEAL, SWCC etc) have my full support (even though at times the newer guys can be a bit of a pain in the ass,) the crap they do and go through to complete the mission assinged is unreal at times.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Furthermore, this isn't the first time "civillians" have given up a special operations team.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I heard on the radio a few months ago that Justin Timberlake had read the book and wanted to help fund the movie to get it made.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I heard on the radio a few months ago that Justin Timberlake had read the book and wanted to help fund the movie to get it made.

That's pretty cool.

I read Luttrell's book last summer. By the time I finished it, I felt like a fucking loser.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Hopefully the movie is more believable then the book.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

saying he supported killing them isnt defamation, its realizing that they can, will, and did give them up. nothing more.

I agree completely. It was the family claiming this.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Care to explain?

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

Lone Survivor was more fiction then fact. Was a book about the marines that went in after the SEALs got ambushed and discredited much of Lutrells story. Even reading the book there is a bunch of parts that make ya go wtf.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

Lone Survivor was more fiction then fact. Was a book about the marines that went in after the SEALs got ambushed and discredited much of Lutrells story. Even reading the book there is a bunch of parts that make ya go wtf.

Of what book do you speak? I'd like to get my hands on it.

Link Posted: 5/31/2011 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

Oh, you were there in 2005?  Do tell of your first hand experience.  Otherwise, keep your f'in mouth shut.

Link Posted: 5/31/2011 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

Oh, you were there in 2005?  Do tell of your first hand experience.  Otherwise, keep your f'in mouth shut.

And awaaaaaaaaaay we go!
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

GD never disappoints, especially with Lone Survivor threads.

Link Posted: 6/1/2011 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

Nope, but I have read PO Luttrells debrief following his recovery (it is on SIPR and you can find it with Intelink) have you?  If you had you would know the story in Lone Survivor is accurate in the sense his SR team was compromised in AFG but much of the book is fiction.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 1:31:54 AM EDT
[#38]
This thread will probably be utter shit by the time I wake up in the afternoon,so im in on one
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 1:59:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

Nope, but I have read PO Luttrells debrief following his recovery (it is on SIPR and you can find it with Intelink) have you?  If you had you would know the story in Lone Survivor is accurate in the sense his SR team was compromised in AFG but much of the book is fiction.

IBTL
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 2:02:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Would be a good film. Wouldn't mind seeing One Second After made into a film too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

So true.

Link Posted: 6/1/2011 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

Why dont you share with the class what makes you a expert on the subject? I have only read the books and talked to a few people to form the opinion I have. I Dont claim anything else.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

IBTL

this isnt the first time hes started with "ive looked at what would be considered sensitive info and.."

Link Posted: 6/1/2011 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

That jives with some other folks' accounts that I've heard.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

Oh, you were there in 2005? Do tell of your first hand experience. Otherwise, keep your f'in mouth shut.

Nope, but I have read PO Luttrells debrief following his recovery (it is on SIPR and you can find it with Intelink) have you? If you had you would know the story in Lone Survivor is accurate in the sense his SR team was compromised in AFG but much of the book is fiction.

Since you are the one in the know

Post up a link and share it with us

Post a link to an AAR on SIPR?
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Here is my take...

Since Luttrell is the only one who survived, and until he was rescued, all we have is his word... Which was written down *after* the fact...

I take his word. We know he went in, we know he fought, we know he survived. Yeah, I will take his word...

As for the killing of those "civilians" who divulged the details of the "team" to the taliban, I will take Luttrells word on that too.

From the book, it sounded like it was a moral dilemma to the team, and Luttrell didn't hide the fact that they faced a potential moral dilemma... A moral dilemma that cost lives in the end. And I personally believe that he put that into the book for a reason. A lesson to other "teams" and a lesson to those who face aggressors in conflict.

As for a family being distraught over the details, I think that is understandable. Some details are hard to swallow... But *every* member of the team died a true American hero, and Luttrell gives them credit where credit is due... In the end, if they had killed the "civilians" (and I use quotes on purpose) they might have thought they made a "mistake" but their mission would not have been compromised... It was a tough call, a moral dilemma that Luttrell does not hide, and the guys who participated in the decision are all true heroes...

We know for a fact that he went in, we know for a fact that he fought, and that he survived... I will take his word. And I don't think it is his word against anyone elses... I can honestly see honest disagreements on numbers of Taliban there. I can see the family distraught over the moral dilemma that these true heroes faced... I see that as legitimate... But I also take Luttrell at his word... He told a story, and I am glad he did...

Link Posted: 6/1/2011 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

Oh, you were there in 2005? Do tell of your first hand experience. Otherwise, keep your f'in mouth shut.

Nope, but I have read PO Luttrells debrief following his recovery (it is on SIPR and you can find it with Intelink) have you? If you had you would know the story in Lone Survivor is accurate in the sense his SR team was compromised in AFG but much of the book is fiction.

Since you are the one in the know

Post up a link and share it with us

Since SIPR stands for Secure Internet Protocol Router, and a separate network from the internet, it wouldn't work.  However that being said, if you can get on SIPR, go to interlink (SIPR google) and type in Lutlrel about page 2 or 3 their is a power point of his post recovery debrief; you can read it yourself.

Link Posted: 6/1/2011 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to explain?

That jives with some other folks' accounts that I've heard.

Have you read either "Victory Point" or Sebastian Jungers "War"?  Both present a different opinion of it.  Not to mention the fact the Lone Survivor doesn't even get the name of the operation right.  It was not "Red Wing" it was "Red Wings" being name for a sport team.

Also several of the people in book Victory Point are people I know, Capt Rob Long and I were in the same unit in AFG.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This thread will probably be utter shit by the time I wake up in the afternoon,so im in on one

At this time it's well on the way, were you really expecting anything less,I'm IN on one with ya
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top