Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2011 12:07:56 PM EDT
I am looking at selling something that is kind of heavy/bulky and wondering about which shipping company/USPS I should go with & hot to handle the price. I was thinking you just go to the UPS store and get a quote for ground shipping to the buyer's location after someone wins the auction but at that point the person has already paid. The item is a empty 15lb. CO2 extinguisher.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#1]
try the ups website you can get a good idea about the shipping costs, i think it will vary by location.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
What are the dimensions?

Do you do a lot of selling on ebay?  I did myself a favor and got an electronic postal scale on amazon for about $25 bucks.  Before I list an item, I'll get it all boxed up, but without the tape, then I'll add the dimensions/weight to the ad so that depending on the buyer's location, shipping will automatically be calculated depending on the service/method you choose.

That way, you don't list it flat fee of $10 bucks and the guy ends up being on the other side of the US and you're out extra for shipping.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Ebay expert and postal worker here.....

If it's big or heavy. UPS

Fedex is awesome for big stuff. They let you ship without a box. Car hood, door, bumber, skis. They just slap a label.

You can do USPS parcel post. it just takes forever to get there.

You can get multiple quotes and then adjust the shipping charge on the invoice.

When I sell something big I specify "Buyer pays actual shipping via carrier of your choice"

Anything else, just ask.

-Mike
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What are the dimensions?

Do you do a lot of selling on ebay?  I did myself a favor and got an electronic postal scale on amazon for about $25 bucks.  Before I list an item, I'll get it all boxed up, but without the tape, then I'll add the dimensions/weight to the ad so that depending on the buyer's location, shipping will automatically be calculated depending on the service/method you choose.

That way, you don't list it flat fee of $10 bucks and the guy ends up being on the other side of the US and you're out extra for shipping.

No I have only sold a few things. I used flat rate boxs most of the time so the shipping calculations are new to me. How do you add/do the part in blue?

The item is about 30"x10"x8".

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fedex is awesome for big stuff. They let you ship without a box. Car hood, door, bumber, skis. They just slap a label.

When I sell something big I specify "Buyer pays actual shipping via carrier of your choice"

Anything else, just ask.

-Mike

So after they win the item I can add in the shipping cost? I thought they could just pay for it right when they won or is there a way to make the buyer wait to make payment till I add in the shipping for their location?
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are the dimensions?

No I have only sold a few things. I used flat rate boxs most of the time so the shipping calculations are new to me. How do you add/do the part in blue?

The item is about 30"x10"x8".

Uploading pics now.  I did some screenshots for ya.

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything else, just ask.

-Mike

So after they win the item I can add in the shipping cost? I thought they could just pay for it right when they won or is there a way to make the buyer wait to make payment till I add in the shipping for their location?

Yes.

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#8]
When you are adding details to the listing page, you can specify all the weight/dimensions.  These options are on the main listing page, just below where you specify payment, description, etc.

Bidders will then be able to add their zip code and ebay will automatically quote the shipping.  That will then be added to the winning bid.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When you are adding details to the listing page, you can specify all the weight/dimensions.  These options are on the main listing page, just below where you specify payment, description, etc.

Bidders will then be able to add their zip code and ebay will automatically quote the shipping.  That will then be added to the winning bid.  

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_7V5GdXiua_g/TdQtQn5P2qI/AAAAAAAAA2w/W62VnsWdqGU/s800/Screen%20shot%202011-05-18%20at%202.32.37%20PM.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_7V5GdXiua_g/TdQtRMeKX8I/AAAAAAAAA20/bHj3MYkWRFE/s800/Screen%20shot%202011-05-18%20at%202.32.56%20PM.png  

Thats easy. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_7V5GdXiua_g/TdQtQn5P2qI/AAAAAAAAA2w/W62VnsWdqGU/s800/Screen%20shot%202011-05-18%20at%202.32.37%20PM.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_7V5GdXiua_g/TdQtRMeKX8I/AAAAAAAAA20/bHj3MYkWRFE/s800/Screen%20shot%202011-05-18%20at%202.32.56%20PM.png  

Thats easy. Thanks for the help.

Anytime.  IM inbound with unrelated question.

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I always just guess - erring on MY side of caution, of course. If I think it'll cost around $5 to ship, I will list the shipping price at $7. That's still better than 90% of the guys on ebay who list ridiculous S/H charges. $9.00 to ship a pair of jeans?  
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I always just guess - erring on MY side of caution, of course. If I think it'll cost around $5 to ship, I will list the shipping price at $7. That's still better than 90% of the guys on ebay who list ridiculous S/H charges. $9.00 to ship a pair of jeans?  

Buying clothing on Ebay seems like it would be a crap shoot unless you are buying a duplicate pair and have already tried them on.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything else, just ask.

-Mike

Yeah, And if you specify shipping and the buyer wants to use USPS parcel post you can change the shipping charge on the invoice to suit the buyer...
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I usually just search and see if others are selling a similar item and what they are asking for shipping.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#15]
If at all possible I use USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes.  If the item won't fit into a flat rate box, I use the UPS website to calculate costs and schedule pickup from my work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top