Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 10:48:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#1]
IS NEW RUSSIAN PASSENGER JET WITH THRUST VECTOR. CLEARLY DEMONSTRATION OF NEW CAPABILITIES PURPOSES. BETTER THAN ALL AMERICAN PASSENGER JET COMBINED.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Pilot must have been very good.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
DO NOT WANT to be a passenger on that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow.  It makes me want to puke and I'm not even inside the cockpit.  The video had all the makings of an epic "this is not going to end well"...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know what would have caused that?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#7]
It's the Russian version of the "Vomit Comet"

Hydraulics all screwed up?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The absolute worst flight of my life was on one of those.

I've been on them more than once, and quite a few have had real phugoid cycle issues.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#11]
If you didn't know the outcome before watching the video, you would have thought, "That dude is fucked."

Insanely good skills by that pilot to land safely!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Igor, watch me John Wayne this biatch over the runway.
Dudesky, you be swaggering the fuck out of us.  Mad skills!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]
that would have been a scary flight
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#14]
That pilot has his shit together.

Could have easily planted it into the ground.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

inventing some kind of brain to computer upload technology and then uploading the mind of a rodeo bull into the plane's onboard  autopilot computer  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Pucker Factor: 9.95
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sorry.  I disagree.  Going with .9bar here.  That's a solid 10 if I ever saw one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The absolute worst flight of my life was on one of those.

I've been on them more than once, and quite a few have had real phugoid cycle issues.

Nothing like the sinking feeling in your stomach when you learn that your five hour flight from SVO to ITK is going to be spent crammed into one of those damn machines.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Massive ballskies on that pilot. If not vodka before, definitely vodka after.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

inventing some kind of brain to computer upload technology and then uploading the mind of a rodeo bull into the plane's onboard  autopilot computer  

Nah,  someone just let a couple of bees loose in the cockpit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow. That pilot knew his shit, without a doubt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow. Bet they had to hose the plane out once the got the passengers off.
That guy on the bicycle...was he they emergency response team?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Massive ballskies on that pilot. If not vodka before, definitely vodka after.

I was waiting for that thing to fall out of the fucking sky
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#25]
ah yes the russians at it again......can't even make a 727 copy fly correctly.  That pilot was either very good or very lucky, probably both.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#26]
That looked like an inoperative yaw damper. Notice he never sucked up the gear, probably hoping for some keel effect.

ETA: Wiki says the -154 doesn't have a yaw damp, but does have poor lateral stability. I can't imagine a swept wing aircraft without a yaw damper.

Now I wonder if what we're seeing was the pilot attempting to dampen poor lateral stability with rudder input.  I really can't imagine doing a functional test flight at pattern altitude if you have a choice.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It's the Russian version of the "Vomit Comet"

Also known as Aeroflot.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That looked like an inoperative yaw damper. Notice he never sucked up the gear, probably hoping for some keel effect.

ETA: Wiki says the -154 doesn't have a yaw damp, but does have poor lateral stability. I can't imagine a swept wing aircraft without a yaw damper.

Now I wonder if what we're seeing was the pilot attempting to dampen poor lateral stability with rudder input.  I really can't imagine doing a functional test flight at pattern altitude if you have a choice.

http://www.americanflyers.net/aviationlibrary/pilots_handbook/images/chapter_4_img_1.jpg

I'm betting PIO played a reasonably big part.
The -154 is an interesting bird, with a bunch of design compromises for it's perceived operating parameters. With Western engines, modern avionics, and a reasonable interior, they' be halfway decent, and fulfill an interesting niche that the 737-200 with the gravel kit never quite pulled off.

They suck to fly in, especially all the way in the rear.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.americanflyers.net/aviationlibrary/pilots_handbook/images/chapter_4_img_1.jpg

The -154 is an interesting bird, with a bunch of design compromises for it's perceived operating parameters. With Western engines, modern avionics, and a reasonable interior, they' be halfway decent, and fulfill an interesting niche that the 737-200 with the gravel kit never quite pulled off.

I can only imagine.  As a kid, I remember slobbering though the window at the exotic birds at Madrid...Tu-154s, IL-62s, IL-86s.

Regarding the Russian design compromises, they did do alot to be able to operate off of unimproved surfaces, and I wonder if that effort would have been better spent on pouring asphalt.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can only imagine.  As a kid, I remember slobbering though the window at the exotic birds at Madrid...Tu-154s, IL-62s, IL-86s.

Regarding the Russian design compromises, they did do alot to be able to operate off of unimproved surfaces, and I wonder if that effort would have been better spent on pouring asphalt.

The hell you say.

I have been to some pretty oddball places, and I'm always amazed at the lack of infrastructure support given the immense amount of time and money spent on the equipment needed to operate from those areas.

I get the whole 90% game, but this is more like a 50% game.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Thats what it would look like if fat people could fly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Aeroflot was essentially supposed to function as part of the Air Force in times of war so it makes sense in that context.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Aeroflot was essentially supposed to function as part of the Air Force in times of war so it makes sense in that context.

Yep, and I think that the Soviets really functioned with a wartime mentality, all the time, to include operations in a nuclear context.  See also, navigators aboard civil aircraft, and the use of onboard inertial and DR nav in a peacetime domestic environment.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Homeview TAG!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Security feature designed to make the plane harder to shoot down. This is normal and infinitely more awesome than American planes that lack this option.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.  I disagree.  Going with .9bar here.  That's a solid 10 if I ever saw one.

What? He still had all the engines!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Was one of your parents stationed at Torrejon?

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was one of your parents stationed at Torrejon?

Dad was a TWA pilot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top