Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone have good pictures of a large frac job? I should have taken some of a CHK well I saw in TX. About 30 tanks header'd up in a row on one side of the yard looked pretty cool.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

30 frac tanks aint a big frac. Those days are gone though around here. Theres maybe a dozen on the pad and a crew a half mile away pumps water in from a huge pond on the lease or a neighboring lease. Less suck trucks, less tanks more room for the pumps and sand cans.

Got any pics? I have a feeling most here don't know what frac'ing is, or how it works.

I have a picture of a 10 stage frac that we where a part of. I think its on my comp at work

40 and 50 stage are the norm here nowadays. I got some pics somewhere, I think theyre on my phone. Like I said though, now its all CalFrac equipment with one or two of the wireline service vehicles. Maybe 6 or 10 frac tanks and a small pit.

I know I got some good pics of my truck being buried over the bumpers too. I'll see if I can dig some up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Cool pics.  Do you go off shore too?

I used to several years ago. Company I'm with now is land based.

But, we work all over the US.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:42:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Top drive just unscrew the top joint, pick up a new section and screw it back together. No slips, no tripping.  Less time for the string to get stuck from cuttings settling in the annulus.

Top drives still use slips.....

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm in the rental business for the oilfield in Texas.  Here is a forklift that we were called to "repair"  on one of these locations.  lol
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=27392

Looks like it needs a new tire and should be good to go.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess it isn't such a novelty to me being from Oklahoma and all, but I still can't help but look for Joe Dirt in those pics. Thanks for posting them ,still very cool.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had a little down time today and decided to get out the camera. I know we have a few oilfield guys here, but many of you may not have gotten a chance to see some of this stuff. Today we were tripping pipe to replace the bit and I figured it would make for some interesting pictures.

This is a tiny little rig, we're drilling a gas well to around 7500', not that crazy but a lot of the basics are the same across rigs whether they're looking for oil, or gas.

Enjoy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d90/c014be2e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d90/25b0aab2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d90/298bd429.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d90/31ace610.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d90/cff948f8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d90/606cc4bd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d90/d5a298b3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d90/94f65366.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d90/93aa539b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d90/98dd59b7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/d90/b15d6f5b.jpg

Wundebar! (SP?)

clear pics of work in progress are awesome even if the work is digging in the dirt

Kudos on the good photos...
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

H&P 298 south of Vernal, Utah back in the summer. I sure miss the warm summer days

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb116/DD977GM2/HP298_VernalUtah.jpg

S. Ouray?  

Ever work in Piceance?

We were South of Ouray in that field about 25 miles South of Ouray.

I have drilled a ton in the Piceance basin. ALl on top of the mountain and hated it since we didnt get per diem due to the catered camnps

Exxon?

If yes, did you ever drill with that dickface WOODY?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Anyone have good pictures of a large frac job?  I should have taken some of a CHK well I saw in TX.  About 30 tanks header'd up in a row on one side of the yard looked pretty cool.

Nitrogen Frac

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes they still use slips, but hand slips are pretty much a thing of the past, most use air/hyraulic slips now, also the tongs are being phased out (safety) and replaced w/a hydraulic "Iron Roughneck" and "ST80" type equipment.  Just in the last ten years the oil field (drilling in particular) has removed some of the more dangerous equipment and replaced it with automated hyraulic stuff.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hey zack3g, that little rig is cute. Does your doghouse have a rack to hang your purses too?

I usually work with rigs a bit larger...

I broke out on rotaries back in the late 60's. Folding base portables with no substructure. You set the base on railroad ties (seals) and unfolded it, set the drawworks, the a-legs, the rotary table, and raised the derick. Dig some pits and hook up the mud-pump....and you be drillin'.

I also worked on Parker Bros 118 in Lost Cabin, WY. It had a 90 foot substructure, electric everything, power tongs, used 6 cylinder Wakashau diesel locomotive engines for power....and had an elevator up to the doghouse for the Co. man. It was the biggest land rig running in North America at the time. We T.D.'d right at 30,000 feet. Exploratory well for the Rocky Mountain Overthrust.

I worked seeral years on a rig identical to the one the OP is working on. In fact it wouldn't supprise me if that didn't used to be one of Big 7's rigs.

Of all the rigs I roughnecked on, drilled on, pushed tools on, and was drilling super over....I like the little 'kelly rigs' the best. I like Bucyrus 28's & 32's too, but that's another story.

Down here in Texas, most of the rigs are top drive triples with about a 30' substructure. They're big....but I haven't seen one yet as big as Parker 118.

Now I'm just a lowly, lowly land man....

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yes they still use slips, but hand slips are pretty much a thing of the past, most use air/hyraulic slips now, also the tongs are being phased out (safety) and replaced w/a hydraulic "Iron Roughneck" and "ST80" type equipment. Just in the last ten years the oil field (drilling in particular) has removed some of the more dangerous equipment and replaced it with automated hyraulic stuff.

I saw a rig a couple of years ago that only took a driller and one floor hand to run. It had an 'iron roughneck' and was very cool to watch it make a connection. Everything was computerized.

The coil tubing rigs are an interesting concept too....but I don't know much about them. I know that one's running up on Chesapeake's DFW airport lease....or was anyway.

Bummer if you're a floorhand....getting replaced by a machine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool pics.  Do you go off shore too?

I used to several years ago. Company I'm with now is land based.

But, we work all over the US.

How hard is it to get a job in the industry?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#14]
pffffttt.....
I go underground and drill holes in the roof.....

awsome pics!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone have good pictures of a large frac job? I should have taken some of a CHK well I saw in TX. About 30 tanks header'd up in a row on one side of the yard looked pretty cool.

30 frac tanks aint a big frac. Those days are gone though around here. Theres maybe a dozen on the pad and a crew a half mile away pumps water in from a huge pond on the lease or a neighboring lease. Less suck trucks, less tanks more room for the pumps and sand cans.

Got any pics?  I have a feeling most here don't know what frac'ing is, or how it works.

I've got pics, its what I do every day. I can't/won't post them though, I'd like to keep my job. A big frac job all depends on where you are at and the formation you are pumping into
Largest nitrogen frac I've designed and pumped used 22 transports (11 Million SCF)
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is the last rig I was on...a little bigger:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/fa794f82.jpg

It is not nearly as nice as the last one.  Where is the Texas flag on this one?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit dude, no offense but that rig looks like a total piece of shit death trap.

Kinda thought the same thing! Hows that one dude get up to the top? And maybe I can't see it, but is he harnessed in? Holy f'kn OSHA

[/quote]

He can either ride the blocks up or use the ladder with a derrick climbing counterweight.

Yes, he has a rope and harness, he has to lean out in space with his feet on the "diving board".

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does a degree in geology help in this field?

depending on what you want to do, yes.

oil companies love geologists.

they are the ones that figure out where the oil and gas are located.

also, some service companies like mudlogging companies like geologists, but the pay will undoubtedly be better with an oil/gas company.
Yes, when I was there, a geologist babysat every hole and analysed the samples of the formation coming up in the mud (cuttings).

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

dumb question, but in your top pics, the crane block says 125 tons. is that the capacity of the crane? or how much that damn block weighs?

That is the block's capacity-250,000 pounds.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey zack3g, that little rig is cute. Does your doghouse have a rack to hang your purses too?

I broke out on rotaries back in the late 60's. Folding base portables with no substructure. You set the base on railroad ties (seals) and unfolded it, set the drawworks, the a-legs, the rotary table, and raised the derick. Dig some pits and hook up the mud-pump....and you be drillin'.

I also worked on Parker Bros 118 in Lost Cabin, WY. It had a 90 foot substructure, electric everything, power tongs, used 6 cylinder Wakashau diesel locomotive engines for power....and had an elevator up to the doghouse for the Co. man. It was the biggest land rig running in North America at the time. We T.D.'d right at 30,000 feet. Exploratory well for the Rocky Mountain Overthrust.

I worked seeral years on a rig identical to the one the OP is working on. In fact it wouldn't supprise me if that didn't used to be one of Big 7's rigs.

Of all the rigs I roughnecked on, drilled on, pushed tools on, and was drilling super over....I like the little 'kelly rigs' the best. I like Bucyrus 28's & 32's too, but that's another story.

Down here in Texas, most of the rigs are top drive triples with about a 30' substructure. They're big....but I haven't seen one yet as big as Parker 118.

I remember that well and rig.  It was pretty famous all around Wy.  I mostly worked in the Big Horn Basin a little north of there and 10 or so years later.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Zack,

What does the 1st 'thing' look like that enters the ground that all the others hook up to?

The bit thing.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
dumb question, but in your top pics, the crane block says 125 tons. is that the capacity of the crane? or how much that damn block weighs?

That is the block's capacity-250,000 pounds.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that well and rig.  It was pretty famous all around Wy.  I mostly worked in the Big Horn Basin a little north of there and 10 or so years later.

Grey Wolf was running a HUGE rig (550-something if I remember right) out of Casper a few years back. I was part of cementing the longstring. 25,000' TD or something like that... all I really remember was that the rig was MASSIVE. From what people said, that rig came up from the South and was supposedly the biggest rig in N. America at the time.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes they still use slips, but hand slips are pretty much a thing of the past, most use air/hyraulic slips now, also the tongs are being phased out (safety) and replaced w/a hydraulic "Iron Roughneck" and "ST80" type equipment. Just in the last ten years the oil field (drilling in particular) has removed some of the more dangerous equipment and replaced it with automated hyraulic stuff.

I saw a rig a couple of years ago that only took a driller and one floor hand to run. It had an 'iron roughneck' and was very cool to watch it make a connection. Everything was computerized.

The coil tubing rigs are an interesting concept too....but I don't know much about them. I know that one's running up on Chesapeake's DFW airport lease....or was anyway.

Anything that can run is being used with Bakken and Eagle Ford.  Plus all the shale drilling for gas.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything that can run is being used with Bakken and Eagle Ford.  Plus all the shale drilling for gas.  

Everything running is an understatment....there is one company(no names) that averages 3 1/2 hour DT per day........couldn't even think thiat.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got any pics?  I have a feeling most here don't know what frac'ing is, or how it works.

Excellent thread on what frac'ing is and why it is done... with minimal herp/derp.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a picture of a 10 stage frac that we where a part of. I think its on my comp at work

Ever heard of JUST IN TIME PERFORATION (JITP)? As far as I know, it is only done in one spot on earth. I was part of the crew that originally "pioneered" the patented JITP technique for Exxon.

Brief summary of JITP  (because it is the coolest thing I have ever done in the oilfield so far):

In a conventional frac job, the well bore has been perforated at a specific zone before well stimulation takes place. The perforation tools (guns) are removed from the bore and the frac job can begin stimulating that specific zone which was just perforated.

If multiple zones are to be done, each zone must be individually perforated and frac'd, then a new zone can be perforated and fracturing can begin again. Once that first zone is frac'd, the perforation tools are reinserted in the bore, the desired depth is found for the second zone, the zone is perforated, the guns are removed, and frac can begin stimulating the second zone... etc. etc. etc.

This is a timely/costly process and possibly can take days to accomplish a large multi zone frac job.

Example of a 3 zone frac job: perforate zone 1, frac zone 1, perforate zone 2, frac zone 2, perforate zone 3, frac zone 3. A "normal" 3 zone job could take 15 hours to do.

With JITP, the well stimulation progress no longer is judged by zones, but by "events" instead. An event can consist of up to FORTY zones... During each event, a very long perforating gun and/or bottom hole assembly is inserted into the bore and kept in the wellbore the entire time that fracturing takes place. The gun/bha is moved up and down the bore both sealing off certain zones (or balls are used) while simultaneously perforating desired zones and being frac'd. The process is completed when the perf gun goes empty. When empty, another well (on a pad wellsite) is then frac'd (accomplished by opening/closing valves to redirect frac fluids) with about 5 minutes of downtime. When that perf gun runs out, the prior perf gun is then ready for another frac event.

This process allows 24hr fracs that run nonstop for weeks on end, a pad wellsite with 10 wells can have HUNDREDS of zones fractured in a very small amount of time (2 or 3 weeks). A 24hr period of time could allow 50+ fractured zones. The first attempt at this while I was there yielded 23 zones in 12 hours.

To run a job like this, multiple crews, a nonstop line of sand haulers, multiple wireline crews, multiple flowback crews, a lot of engineers, $3k a day consultants, etc. are needed... I was told the per week cost exceeded 3 million dollars.

Hooray for tight gas.

Good link with illustrations below:

http://www.halliburton.com/public/pe/contents/Papers_and_Articles/web/A_through_P/Advanced_Multizone_Stimulation_Technology_SPE95778.pdf

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Really interesting pics. Thanks for posting. Drilling for gas & oil is not a small feat, even on land. One mile underwater, WOW! One thing for sure, you know more about this stuff many of us on ARFCOM.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Men & boys, still playing in mud.

BTW: I am interested in seeing what a real blowout preventer looks like. Ever since BP's blow-out the news media just show drawings of one.

Plenty pictures on the net.  They are modular and usually implemented in a stack with annular on top, blind and shear ram types below.

Annulars are a "blob" with the ram type look like a gate valve...because they are, sort of.

http://www.mesawellservicing.com/images/BOP-hydraulic.jpg

Subsea BOPs have a shit ton more supporting equipment with them and are covered with the stuff.  This is a good land based example, annular at top, with 2 blind below and a shear at the bottom.  Choke and kill ports between, blanked off with rusty blind flanges.
I, probably like most guys, the only connection with the oil & gas industry, is when I put that nozzle in the filler tube, andI squeeze the handle; that liquid gasoline better come out.

Hmmmm.... didn't know there was a difference between land based & seabased BOPs. Interesting. Now I can see why the .GOV was pretty stymied when they had shut off the flow of the well. The .GOV didn't have the expertise. This stuff is literally rocket science on earth.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm in the rental business for the oilfield in Texas.  Here is a forklift that we were called to "repair"  on one of these locations.  lol
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=27392

That should buff right out
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#32]
And here i Get to haul the Drill pipe and small pipe to Distributors from the south to the north.

Zack next time i am in LA lets meet up for lunch.

Now if i could only get my truck Workin in the oil Patch up in ND hauling water or pipe.

Damn the OTR stuff
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
And here i Get to haul the Drill pipe and small pipe to Distributors from the south to the north.

Zack next time i am in LA lets meet up for lunch.

Now if i could only get my truck Workin in the oil Patch up in ND hauling water or pipe.

Damn the OTR stuff

You'll have to catch me when I'm actually in LA.

Right now I'm working in TX, next job, who knows where I will be.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Maleante- that is some very cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

All this E&P talk makes me when I were in that instead of midstream.  But hey, were pretty stable, relatively.

Petroleum- my favorite industry.  :D

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

All this E&P talk makes me when I were in that instead of midstream.  But hey, were pretty stable, relatively.

1998 was a horrible time for either.

One of the reasons I like high oil prices.  And it is bad for democrats.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

1998 was a horrible time for either.

One of the reasons I like high oil prices.  And it is bad for democrats.

I remember those days.  My parents had bought a new home the previous year and oil was tanking...not good times.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Cute rig.  

My last rig; I'm on a much smaller jack-up now.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Are the guys wearing tin hats or plastic like everyone else these days?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cute rig.  

My last rig; I'm on a much smaller jack-up now.  
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/bajatacoma/IMGP2330a.jpg

I miss working offshore. The food was great and it was a lot of fun.

Saw some strange stuff out there, though.

One of the first things I learned about working offshore is that porn can be a group activity.

Walked in the TV room my first day offshore and there was porn on the TV with a person in every chair and several people on the couch all staring at it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#40]
America FUCK YEA!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything that can run is being used with Bakken and Eagle Ford. Plus all the shale drilling for gas.

Yeah....Baker Hughes Rig Count says that there are currently 1715 rigs running domestically. That's up 308 from last year....it's bustin' loose again!!

http://investor.shareholder.com/bhi/rig_counts/rc_index.cfm
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

also, some service companies like mudlogging companies like geologists, but the pay will undoubtedly be better with an oil/gas company.

Our geologists here make BANK.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Men & boys, still playing in mud.

BTW: I am interested in seeing what a real blowout preventer looks like. Ever since BP's blow-out the news media just show drawings of one.

Plenty pictures on the net.  They are modular and usually implemented in a stack with annular on top, blind and shear ram types below.

Annulars are a "blob" with the ram type look like a gate valve...because they are, sort of.

And they hardly prevent blowouts. They more or less at best redirect the energy to a more controlled release.

At worst..they fail and the side flies off.

Definitely don't want to be on another rig where that happens. Some of you might remember my thread here about that from a few years back.

They DO work if you can catch the kick before you lose control.  But trying to stop 8,000 PSI of mud, sand and gas once the kick has progressed?  Yes, nearly impossible since that stuff tends to erode the sealing surfaces fast. But a good crew can spot the potential kick.

8? We've pushed at 10 before and may or may not have bounced off 11.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wish I had 3 or 4 of those drilling in my section of land up here.......

I have 2 just outside of my section.......

I didn't know they were that far east already.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a slight idea.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Pics taken on my latest rig:

Big assed drill bit:

For a much bigger rig:

Other stuff:

Link Posted: 3/22/2011 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Hey!!!

We aren't paying millions of dollars per well for your photography skills.

Get back to work.

P.S. Anyone working the Braveheart #2... don't screw it up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in my first year of a geology degree and have heard some secondhand stories of fresh graduates making some serious cash. Thanks for the insight

As a jr geo there is more money in Oil and Gas than in Mining.
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Some of the drill pipe in the first pictures looks like the stuff the company I work for makes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Some of the drill pipe in the first pictures looks like the stuff the company I work for makes.

How come you guys can't make the pieces of pipe the same length?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top