Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/9/2011 4:36:03 PM EDT
I've never been able to get this.  The store shelves around here are totally devoid of milk and bread.  I don't hardly drink much milk and I only use bread for toast and sandwiches.  A loaf will last my wife and I for more than a week.  Why in the hell do people stock up on just milk and bread before a snowstorm?
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It's so they can enjoy a skin-nourishing bath and then dry off without getting any towels dirty.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's gonna snow the milk won't go bad when the power goes out & Cheerios are awful, dry..
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Should say why do people go full retard before a snow storm.  There isnt a loaf of bread in OKC at the moment, and we are getting a whopping "up to an inch" .  Gotta love media hype.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Eggs too.

French Toast is my guess.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Dumbass southerners.

It's because it can be difficult to get to the grocery store in the next few days, so people push their normal shopping forward.

What you're seeing isn't everyone in the county buying milk, but rather a case study in just how low a grocery store's inventory really is.

Every time it snows south of the mason dixon line, a bunch of geniuses start threads criticizing people for not wanting their wives to drive on ice.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think they do...
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Eggs, milk, and bread.  

Motherfuckers in St. Louis must like French toast.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree, I've seen it up here too and I'll never figure it out. The longest I've been snowed in without being able to get down the road was maybe 24 hours after the end of a storm and that was over 30 inches of snow.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
you don't hardly drink much milk?  

why does that sound funny?
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dumbass southerners.

It's because it can be difficult to get to the grocery store in the next few days, so people push their normal shopping forward.

What you're seeing isn't everyone in the county buying milk, but rather a case study in just how low a grocery store's inventory really is.

Every time it snows south of the mason dixon line, a bunch of geniuses start threads criticizing people for not wanting their wives to drive on ice.

At least we are smart enough to live where we don't have to deal with this shit all winter.

I'm just saying. . . . . .
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought the chips and cookies out to.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dumbass southerners.

And New Yorkers wonder why they are hated just about everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Me, I make sure we have plenty of bacon and beer.

Not really worried, other than that.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, every now and then we get tired of non-stop Filet Mignon and lobster. Sometimes the kids want cereal or toast. Go figure. A few real fringe  people even have 3 or 4 kids and milk and bread go fast.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Milk and eggs are for snowcream

Don't really understand the bread thing though
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumbass southerners.

I don't think they wonder why they are hated.

Even they know.  

And Texans are some of the worst winter drivers I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#17]
rations for simutaled prison sentence meals
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Folks here drive SUVs in the snow like it's Spring time.
I grab a few extra items, park the trucks and wait for the Darwin candidates to litter the guard rails.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#19]
i buy steaks and beer
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumbass southerners.

God awful loud mouth people they are. Just listening to them gives me a headache.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, every now and then we get tired of non-stop Filet Mignon and lobster. Sometimes the kids want cereal or toast. Go figure. A few real fringe  people even have 3 or 4 kids and milk and bread go fast.

This.

I have yet to see a snow storm when I couldn't get to the store but I don't feel like going out to a cold truck for food when I could have bought it all two days ago.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumbass southerners.

I don't think they wonder why they are hated.

Even they know.  

And Texans are some of the worst winter drivers I've ever seen.

That's all the transplants from the west that you're seeing on the news. The real Texans know to stay off the roads and avoid all the foreigners.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#23]
im pissed because i forgot to buy more beer yesterday and it is sunday so i cant go tonight before the snow.   oh well hopefully some place close will be open tomorrow so i can go satisfy my cravings
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I have yet to see a snow storm when I couldn't get to the store but I don't feel like going out to a cold truck for food when I could have bought it all two days ago.

See a lot of them up here.

And every now and then you see one so bad, or an ice storm so bad, that the stores close down for lack of power and resupply.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Trucks can't deliver commodities if the roads are blocked by snow drifts.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#26]
People go full retard down here, it is comical when most of the shit melts the next day.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
im pissed because i forgot to buy more beer yesterday and it is sunday so i cant go tonight before the snow.   oh well hopefully some place close will be open tomorrow so i can go satisfy my cravings

There's one trusty corner store about half a mile away that is open 24/7 and I've never seen it closed.  Even when the power went out they had one lamp by the register and a floodlight covering the store (not sure if they were being run off a battery or if there was a generator i didn't see/hear) and the cashier had a bag of money, a calculator, and a pen and paper.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Get a remote start and an Arcteryx jacket
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#29]
They should be stocking up on some hearty Belgian Ales. Not only fills your stomach, but keeps you warm and helps the time go by nicely. The Monks knew what they were doing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#30]
There are two additional effects which haven't been mentioned:

1) Even if you aren't worried about the weather, you may be worried about people who are worried about the weather.  If you don't beat them, you're out of milk for a few days regardless of snow.  So, those purchases get pushed forward too.

2) Some people like to go grocery shopping before bad weather just so they can get on the internet and make fun of all the people they saw grocery shopping before bad weather.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They should be stocking up on some hearty Belgian Ales. Not only fills your stomach, but keeps you warm and helps the time go by nicely. The Monks knew what they were doing.

Alcohol doesn't keep you warm.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#32]
because the south sucks balls when it comes to any type of weather.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumbass southerners.

Apparently...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-04/new-york-city-s-record-48-7-million-tourists-spent-31-billion-mayor-says.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Perishable items that many people use every day...plus if it's bad enough the stors wont get their resupply as the delivery trucks would be stuck as well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I prefer to do my shopping during the snow storm. Usually very few people in the store and they still have everything I want.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumbass southerners.

Apparently...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-04/new-york-city-s-record-48-7-million-tourists-spent-31-billion-mayor-says.html

People go to see snakes in the zoo, too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alcohol doesn't keep you warm.

No, but if you drink enough, you won't care that you're cold.  The reason for bread is simple.  In the event of a power outage, there are a number of people with electric stoves that won't be able to cook.  Sammiches for everyone.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#39]
They stock up because who knows how long it'll be before they can get it again once the snow melts in two days and life goes back to normal
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Meat to I cut everything in the walk intoday and my counter was almost bare 5 hrs later
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#41]
This is a southern thing.  My sister lives in Richmond, so I know it gets crazy prior to snowfall.

In the north, we just go to the store whenever we need something.  Unless you live in New York, in which case, you're stranded because the city workers take 4hr breaks during an 8hr shift.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Is this really an Arfcom thread bitching about people prepping?

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Why in the hell do people stock up on just milk and bread before a snowstorm?

Because I always have plenty of butter and oreos.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#44]
And the lines at the beer store suck too!
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#45]
My mom won't be able to get out for a few days if the weather takes a shit. I will make sure she has plenty of milk. We already have bread enough for a week. I might pick up some other stuff for her. No reason not to be ready for a week or two if I can't get home from traveling due to weather.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Is it supposed to snow?
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Eggs too.

French Toast is my guess.

This.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Dumbass southerners.

After that some yankee comes into the thread and acts like a jackass.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumbass southerners.

Apparently...

People go to see snakes in the zoo, too.

and horror movies. Just sayin'

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Should say why do people go full retard before a snow storm.  There isnt a loaf of bread in OKC at the moment, and we are getting a whopping "up to an inch" .  Gotta love media hype.

TBH, wouldn't that shut the state down like what happens to TX?

We're slated to get 5-8" by Tues. when all is said and done.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top