Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/28/2010 2:56:37 AM EDT
When did it become illegal to sell gas cans with spouts that actually WORK? What the fuck is up with all these stupid "spill proof" spouts that cause you to spill more fuel per minute than is actually going into what you are trying to pour it into? Is this just an Alaska Thing??!?

Aviator

Link Posted: 11/28/2010 2:57:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen one of those before...strange.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 3:10:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Did it come with milk in it?
Could be a Canadian influence. I have never seen anything like that. Of course, I have not been looking for gas cans lately.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 3:15:09 AM EDT
[#3]
My pre-ban gas cans now going up on EE.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 3:16:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe the blame starts with CARB and ends with the EPA.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 3:16:44 AM EDT
[#5]
You can (repair) those junk-design(CARB) with a  " Gas Can Spout Replacement & Parts for Wedco Plastic Can" from ebay. Kinda high but should last 10+years. I drilled a small hole on top opposite side of spout and used a stainless screw with RTV on it to thread hole. .Seals completely when used for vent hole. Thank you California for another useless product design to save the planet. The stupid new design crap-nozzles are everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 3:19:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My pre-ban gas cans now going up on EE.

Throw them down the driveway for that battle worn look; it will increase the value 100%
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 3:22:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 3:24:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/28/2010 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#9]
California has managed to fuck up my fuel cans now? What the fuck is next?!?

Aviator
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#10]
THE most dangerous gas can out there.  More gas is spilled than put in machine.  Try and use one of those fucking cans on a chain saw or weed wacker, or even a lawn mower for that matter.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 3:53:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Not an Alaska thing. We have the sorry damn things here in Virginia also. They should be banned!
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 3:56:49 AM EDT
[#12]
its been this way going on two years.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 4:05:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Make a trip to Canada a score yourself a couple of proper fuel cans.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 4:09:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a 5 gallon metal jerry can and it came with that nonsence...I just use an old nozzle. I am going to drill a hole on the back of it, tap it an thread it for a little brass valve.
Fuck this bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 4:13:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
THE most dangerous gas can out there.  More gas is spilled than put in machine.  Try and use one of those fucking cans on a chain saw or weed wacker, or even a lawn mower for that matter.  

They SUCK and I HATE them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:39:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bingo.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When did it become illegal to sell gas cans with spouts that actually WORK? What the fuck is up with all these stupid "spill proof" spouts that cause you to spill more fuel per minute than is actually going into what you are trying to pour it into? Is this just an Alaska Thing??!?

I thought this was going to be from California!
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#19]
2 words:

Super Siphon.
You are welcome
And ya, those things are the most fucktarded invention on the planet; I had the misfortune to try and put 2 gals of gas in a jeep w/ one of those a few months ago...

...nothing like holding a 5 gal gas can for 15 mins to allow 2 gals of fuel to trickle out...I imagine it's quicker and easier to milk a goat.

Speed
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#20]
It appears that in a stupid attempt to try and contain vapors, they have created cans that manage to spill more than enough gas to create far more vapor than they  could ever contain anyway.

Glug glug, splash splash.

Link Posted: 11/28/2010 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#21]
That's all we can find down here also.  Those things suck.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
2 words:

Super Siphon.

You are welcome

And ya, those things are the most fucktarded invention on the planet; I had the misfortune to try and put 2 gals of gas in a jeep w/ one of those a few months ago...
...nothing like holding a 5 gal gas can for 15 mins to allow 2 gals of fuel to trickle out...I imagine it's quicker and easier to milk a goat.

Speed

Just googled those 2 words.  Ordered one from Amazon.  Thx.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm seriously hitting CL and yard sales for pre-bans.  Thanks Cali!
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#25]
It really is amazing how poor these new nozzles are.  I never spill with my old school one for 2 cycle gas.  Thumb over the vent basically stops the flow, and done!

These POS are unbelievable.  I'd be lucky not to spill half of it, and if I didn't, I'd get a back spasm holding the can upside down so long waiting for it to pour. F'n crap shit.

So yeah, I've got the custom screw hole vent too now...   Much better

It is the only exhibit I need on the case against .gov

Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It appears that in a stupid attempt to try and contain vapors, they have created cans that manage to spill more than enough gas to create far more vapor than they  could ever contain anyway.

Glug glug, splash splash.

yep, and you can think california

i do laugh, the fucking morons think they are helping, and created a law that requires stuff so stupid, it spills more in use, that it could lose in storage.

this is why liberals should not be allowed to do anything.

txl
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah these cans suck as do the ones with the vent built into the hard angled nozzle. My old school gas can had the cap crack and split a year or so ago. That's when I found about all this new gas can crap. Every replacement cap I found for sale was different threads than my old school can. I finally found an old beat up can laying on the side of the road one day and pulled an immediate u-turn to pick that bad boy up. Used the cap on my can and tossed the jug as it wasn't the size & shape I use. Prob should have kept it though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#28]
They're everywhere now.  I agree that they spill WAY more fuel than any other gas can on the fucking planet.

Remove the spout and run a long rubber hose and stopper instead, like the ones you used to be able to get for dirt bikes and such.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Before I spent some money on buying "old" cans the wife took me to her family's old property in the country. Been abandoned for 15 years, but very few people in the area. She said they used to have 10+ metal gas cans.

I was not able to find any. I found tools, oil cans, canning equipment, etc. But someone had come and taken all the gas cans.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:53:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm seriously hitting CL and yard sales for pre-bans.  Thanks Cali!

Thats what I do, I am always on the lookout for good used "normal" gas cans. Usually only cost about a buck or so so it's a win/win situation.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#31]
There's gotta be a way to jerry rig those stupid spouts to work like the older ones.

Maybe rip out the guts, making it a straight pour, drilling a vent in the rear of the spout, and finding a plug for the opening.

I'm gonna try it on the one STUPID new gas can I have.  (I have three other old ones that I will care for like a newborn baby.)

I just ripped out the guts............keep posted.........I gotta find a plug.......don't have anything around..................
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I HATE those fucking things. Gotta fill up three 5 gallon cans if you wanna get 5 gallons to end up in the machine's fuel tank.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Our Mf'n politicians will NEVER stop making new laws until we STOP them.

Did you know that Calif. passed a new law that mandates that a garage check your tire pressure?

How nanny f*ckin stupid is that? Who do you think pays for it (in money and in freedom).

WHEN...OR WHERE  WILL IT END??????

We are doomed serfs unless we wake the f*ck up and stop re-electing these freedom sucking bastards.

Link Posted: 11/28/2010 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I went back to the old way. Take the cap off and use a funnel. Gas spills everywhere and most things like lawn mowers and the chainsaw get over filled.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Just drilled a hole in that STUPID spout that I just ripped the guts out of.

IT POURS LIKE THE OLD STYLE.

Now I have to find a plug for the top.

DO IT guys, just get rid of that old stupid spring set up.......you'll have fun ripping it out of there..........drill a little hole in the back of the spout (i.e., facing you while pouring) and find a plug.  Drill right up at the top so your jerry rigged plug covers the vent hole.  (But I gotta find a plug.)

The plug part is the hard part for me..........gotta FIND SOMETHING.

ALMOST THERE.

God was it fun ripping out the old guts of that STUPID spout.

ETA:  Can't find a plug for the open top............gotta do  more rummaging around today.  But that STUPID spout NO LONGER has the spring shut off mechanism.  Yippee.

It figures ANYTHING designed by libtards could be easily defeated.

Tried an old bottle stopper, works but the rubber will probably deteriorate over the long term.  Not there yet.  Still gotta find a plug.

Update:
Found the cork from the bottle of wine the wife had yesterday or the day before...........worked like a charm.

Anyone know if cork will deteriorate from gasoline fumes?  Alcohol don't do it.......I assume gasoline will be the same?

If so, problem solved.........libtards are SO STUPID..........I love it!!

Final Update:

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Products-Co-Assorted-Stoppers/dp/B001I1RNX2

Done....as long as cork stands up to the gas fumes.............should if they stop alcohol IMHO.  Maybe put a coat of varnish on the cork?

Problem solved.

DUMBA** libtards.

(Hey, I just noticed that the spring that came out of the stupid spout might be jerry rigged into a reduced power rebound spring for a S&W revolver!! )
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Just drilled a hole in that STUPID spout that I just ripped the guts out of.

IT POURS LIKE THE OLD STYLE.

Needs picture how-to or at least a MSPaint..........

Link Posted: 11/28/2010 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Just start using old milk jugs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#38]
When it was apparent that these stupid ass cans were going to be all that was available, I not only bought some surplus cans and spouts  for myself, I bought some extra for my young kids so that when they grow up they can have a couple decent gas cans.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#39]
http://picasaweb.google.com/whisperingpine1/PlasticGasCanVentFix#5500508444631487250

Cool idea for a vent using tire valve without the core.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a 5 gl USMC marked can hanging around my garage.....wonder what I could get for it on flea-bay
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#42]
friend of mine works for one of the world's largest gas can manufacturers.they spend ~millions~ of $ a year defending themselves against lawsuits filed by idiots who manage to mess themselves up with gas cans.
Get rid of idiots and their lawyers-problem solved.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Thank you for the tip...those gas cans suck. I just bought one of those and I spilled more fuel on a brand new bike than I ever have in over twenty years.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Hate those damn things
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I got my preban jerry cans.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/07133182000

Aviator

I have a Gas Can just like that from Ace. I don't have a problem with it.

Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#48]
I was going to talk about pouring diesel from those little 5 gallon cans in to my equipment while holding it over my head, during the snow season, but you're in Alaska.  You get it.

I've spilled more fuel trying to fuck with those stupid spouts than I have just pouring fuel in, withOUT even a funnel.  I fucking hate them.   Take the lid off and get a funnel. Damn, I really need to get a working spout before the snow hits.
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Jegs still sells standard fuel bottles with the fill hose.  These are very thick plastic.  

Jegs Link
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Not an Alaska thing. We have the sorry damn things here in Virginia also. They should be banned!

I think I saw some at walmart the other day. I need a gas can but wasn't sure if those were the shitty ones so I walked away.
Edit: never mind, I missed read what was type. My brain hasn't fully booted yet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top