Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd drive a CJ a bit before you buy one for a daily driver.  It really takes dedication.  My 73 CJ5 was fun... as a toy.... Of course, it was manual steering and four wheel manual drum brakes  

As for what to look for.  Up here in IL you will be finding a LOT of rotten frames.  If you really want a CJ take a close look at the frames and if you have to: drive south till you stop seeing salt all over the roads and find one there  

If I recall correctly 72-75 will be a little harder to find some body parts for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#2]
My recommendation would be to really look at what you want to do.   Are you content with keeping it stock?  If so, buy one and be done.   If you are looking to buy something and then modify it, be smart about the mods.   Understand that mods have a knock on affect that if not comprehended, can end up in you spending a lot or extra money.   An very basic example would be changing the engine to get a few more horses.    Well do you need to change the transmission as well?   tCase?  Axles?   My YJ build has been an ongoing adventure since I bought it new.   I'm now on my 3rd suspension lift incarnation and am getting the itch to put a 6.0L in it.     It's a truly slippery slope if you're not careful but it sure is fun.   Just be smart about it so you don't end up overspending.   If I were in the market for another Jeep, I'd definitely be looking for something bone stock.   I see too many rigs that the owners tried to modify only to end up with an abortion of a mess.    I'd rather have it stock and then I can create the abortion myself :)

Cheers,
cc
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not a CJ-8?

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Shhh don't talk about the scrambler they are just myths. Nah it makes me sad seeing them since i sold mine years ago. I'd add that to the list of biggest fuckups i have ever done. I don't know why amc didn't make them longer than 4 years but when i get rich i plan to build one.

Nice 8 btw.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
OP... Have you considered a TJ? It would be more comfortable than a CJ

but still a very worthy vehicle. You could get a 4 cylinder and do a V8

conversion for fun.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
conversion for fun.  

That's still a very real possibility. I came across 3 pretty decent deals for CJ's recently (2 5's an 1 7) is where all this comes from.
Just out of curiosity, is scouring the junkyards for a TJ hardtop the best/cheapest way to go?

ETA: with a TJ I'd get the 4.0 6cyl though, I probably wouldn't mess with it too much just for resales sake (I say that now but I'm probably lying I dont think I've ever left a vehicle stock), had enough hassles with modifying nissans an chevies... CJ, I wouldn't mind wrenching on it though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the off road this will get will be through fields, some wood trails for camping, and snaking up snowy mountains to go skiing

As the owner of a '79 CJ-7 for ~23 years my recommendation based on the above statement is to buy an EFI equipped YJ or TJ - my CJ-7 pretty much sucks ass on the pavement and it's only on 33's with Currie 9" axles, a AMC 304 V8 and T-18.

Brian

sucks ass as in ride quality?

If you are even asking the question, "ride quality", you don't belong in a CJ.  It's really that simple.

+1

Go TJ in that case, the Coil Springs make it a much more liveable ride.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Shhh don't talk about the scrambler they are just myths. Nah it makes me sad seeing them since i sold mine years ago. I'd add that to the list of biggest fuckups i have ever done. I don't know why amc didn't make them longer than 4 years but when i get rich i plan to build one.

Nice 8 btw.

+1

I got my TJ Unlimited because it's the closest modern equivalent.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
conversion for fun.  

That's still a very real possibility. I came across 3 pretty decent deals for CJ's recently (2 5's an 1 7) is where all this comes from.
Just out of curiosity, is scouring the junkyards for a TJ hardtop the best/cheapest way to go?

ETA: with a TJ I'd get the 4.0 6cyl though, I probably wouldn't mess with it too much just for resales sake (I say that now but I'm probably lying I dont think I've ever left a vehicle stock), had enough hassles with modifying nissans an chevies... CJ, I wouldn't mind wrenching on it though.

Either is like driving a brick wall aerodynamically and ride quality isn't for everyone but i hope gas mileage isn't a problem. The 2.5's suck but the inline 6 really sucks for mpg and doesn't matter if it's the 4.0 or 4.2. What are your thoughts on drafts and road noise?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top