Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2010 5:25:50 PM EDT
A member of a local forum is a gun dealer who runs a shop. He was applying for a merchant account, and received this response:

Thank you for applying for Intuit QuickBooks Merchant Service. After careful review, we regret to inform you that your application for a merchant account has been declined because we do not support the services or products you offer.

If you have further questions, please contact Underwriting, Intuit Payment Solutions, 21215 Burbank Boulevard, Suite 100, Woodland Hills, CA 91367.

Screw those bastards. I'm glad that they outed themselves. I'll be sure not to support their services.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Isnt that discrimination?
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Isnt that discrimination?

Yes but it's not illegal.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Private company, their choice.  I shall also freely choose not to buy their product.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A member of a local forum is a gun dealer who runs a shop. He was applying for a merchant account, and received this response:

Thank you for applying for Intuit QuickBooks Merchant Service. After careful review, we regret to inform you that your application for a merchant account has been declined because we do not support the services or products you offer.

If you have further questions, please contact Underwriting, Intuit Payment Solutions, 21215 Burbank Boulevard, Suite 100, Woodland Hills, CA 91367.

Screw those bastards. I'm glad that they outed themselves. I'll be sure not to support their services.

Son of a bitch.  I use Quickbooks.  Anyone know of a good alternative?
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]
That's not very clear. By "not support the services or products" they could also mean that the type of accounting and such used for that is not one they are setup to handle. Each type of business does things a bit differently and there are very specific needs for a gun shop. While you might be able to make it work, they might feel that it isn't worth the potential law suits if someone doesn't take care of the portions of the accounting that Intuit does not provide support for in their programs and services.

I don't use the commercial version of the software, but I played with the consumer version a few times. I can see where it might not work so well on handling transactions that involve serial numbered items which must be logged IN and then OUT. The system wouldn't have a provision for tracking the particular item which leaves it up to the user and invites error that would then be blamed on poor software...

I'm not saying my theory here is right, just that we shouldn't jump to conclusions based on that phrase. They might have used the same phrase for someone like a lawyer or accountant who bills clients hourly rates of varying amounts and tracks to the minute... Their service is not setup to handle that particular set of requirements and while you might be able to force fit it with extra work on your end, it's not what they want to be handling.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Son of a bitch.  I use Quickbooks.  Anyone know of a good alternative?

I could be wrong, but I thought Sun Microsystems was working on a free, open source alternative.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's not very clear. By "not support the services or products" they could also mean that the type of accounting and such used for that is not one they are setup to handle. Each type of business does things a bit differently and there are very specific needs for a gun shop. While you might be able to make it work, they might feel that it isn't worth the potential law suits if someone doesn't take care of the portions of the accounting that Intuit does not provide support for in their programs and services.

I don't use the commercial version of the software, but I played with the consumer version a few times. I can see where it might not work so well on handling transactions that involve serial numbered items which must be logged IN and then OUT. The system wouldn't have a provision for tracking the particular item which leaves it up to the user and invites error that would then be blamed on poor software...

I'm not saying my theory here is right, just that we shouldn't jump to conclusions based on that phrase. They might have used the same phrase for someone like a lawyer or accountant who bills clients hourly rates of varying amounts and tracks to the minute... Their service is not setup to handle that particular set of requirements and while you might be able to force fit it with extra work on your end, it's not what they want to be handling.

QB is incredibly versatile and flexible and can handle just about anything you throw at it.  Sounds like he applied for the merchant services, which would be online computerized credit card and payment processing, as well as some integrated support solutions.  Regardless of computer system, gun sales must be tracked in the bound book, which is the standard the ATF enforces, anything else is extra.  Sounds like Intuit doesn't what to get involved in the evil firearms trade.  I agree, though, a request for clarification would be in order.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
If he requests a clarification, and posts it, I'll update this page. Until then, I call it like I see it. He is a business man in good standing for 10 years, and they don't want to give him a merchant account.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If it's due to these reason I can understand, if not than that is fucking bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
This is old news.

Lots of businesses are at war with gun owners, gun owners just do not know it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well I happen to know a shop that currently uses their merchant services.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#12]

damn..I went to school with the CEO of intuit..
I think he went to west point and dropped out...
I saw his facebook one day and about shit.
He went to a small college in our area after dropping out...
Damn...
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Del-Ton uses QuickBooks. Every order I've made through them comes with an invoice printed off the QuickBooks system. So either they aren't anti-gun or they don't realize Del-Ton sells firearms products, which is doubtful. I am pretty sure lots of other businesses in the firearms industry use QuickBooks too. So maybe there is another explanation here?
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you know if they use the stand alone ap or the online service? In the case of Del-Ton do they operate under a DBA for the firearms stuff? I know a bunch of places that operate under three or four names to tailor the letter head to the industry. *shrug*

If Intuit really is this anti-gun, doom on them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Thats funny because when I had my Firearms Business I had an account with them and they never said anything like that.  Closed shop last year when I moved from AZ to TX.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Never mind

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I know at least one NFA manufacturer who uses Intuit for cc processing, with full disclosure, and they don't have a problem with it.  

Either this is a new policy or there's more to the story.

There is WAY more to the story. If an FFL in California uses their services, come on... something is up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top