Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2010 3:58:42 PM EDT
Just as it says. I will make a poll as soon as possible. I need to stay as close to this figure as possible. This may be used for home defense, but primarily will be for plinking for my son's as until I can get him another Eotech. I've used the Kobra red dot and was very pleased, but I'm having trouble finding one in stock anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
By the way, even a used Eotech or aimpoint at the right price would be a good choice. I have a Burris elite 6500 2.5x16x42 multi-x with 30mm tube mounted in Warne x-tra high quick detach AR rings that I would be willing to trade if someone was interested. I need to post it in the EE I suppose. It's was only used about five times at the range and has the original box with it. Mods, if I need to edit this post and take this part out please let me know.Thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Not the answer you probably want to hear but save your money. When you have enough for a top tier optic purchase one. It will probably last you a lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the fastfire 2 last year and used it in a 22 target pistol league, and I actually just got two primary arms mini dots today.  At the moment one is on my spikes st22 and the other is for my 10/22 or possibly the 22/45 that the fastfire is on.  

I obviously haven't had them to the range yet, but my inital impression is that they are a great value.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten the fastfire if I knew about the pa minidots at the time.  87gn has a good review of the pa minidots in the optics forum you should check out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Walther PS 22 for one of my builds as a temporary stop-gap until I've saved for an EoTech. Plan is to then move it to the 10/22.

However, for about $75.00, I'm very impressed with this "cheap" red dot. No intention on keeping it on the AR but it's not a bad low-end option if you need something to fill the gap until you can get a durable, proven piece of glass.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Primary Arms M4 Clone works for me.

Nick
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Have a Primary Arms microdot on my Buckmark and absolutely LOVE it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the burris ACOG look alike red dot, it's a perfectly good dot sight, and the reticle is nice. I also have a fastfire, which is great, it's held up under rough use, and mine looks pretty beat up, but it's too open for my tastes, stuff can get into it and block the diode too easily.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a vortex strikefire and I really like it. Check them out in industry, they are very responsive to questions.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I also have a fastfire, which is great, it's held up under rough use, and mine looks pretty beat up, but it's too open for my tastes, stuff can get into it and block the diode too easily.

my main complaint with the fastfire is not being able to manually adjust the dot brightness.  I knew it when I bought it, but it turned out to be a setup I don't care for, especially for target type shooting.  I suppose I'll eventually mount it on a scope as a close up backup optic...
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm very happy with my CenterPoint 2MOA red/green dot for plinking.

It was only $50.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish Primaryarms would get some more in stock.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Vortex red dot.

Great sight.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a vortex strikefire and I really like it. Check them out in industry, they are very responsive to questions.

+1
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Vortex StrikeFire.  

I love my Kobra holosight.  They have gotten hard to find.  I also like my PK-AS sights––red dot/black dot, can use it in daylight without batteries.  It has a 1 moa center dot surrounded by an ellipse.  The PK-AS has also gotten hard to find.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Vortex StrikeFire.  

I love my Kobra holosight.  They have gotten hard to find.  I also like my PK-AS sights––red dot/black dot, can use it in daylight without batteries.  It has a 1 moa center dot surrounded by an ellipse.  The PK-AS has also gotten hard to find.

OP

Just realize that some people have issues with the vortex in bright conditions, where the Primary Arms dots are brighter.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 on the Strikefire, quality seems good and it seems you can't beat the Vortex warranty & customer service.  I also have a Bushnell Holosight that I like a lot - if you shop around you can find them for just a tad over $200 brand new ($215 last time I was looking).
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#17]
tag for later
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I read that about the Vortex. I forgot about the Russian day/night dot sight, and that may be something to check out. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got a used aimpoint for right at $200 on ebay. If you're patient it's a possibility.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just got a used aimpoint for right at $200 on ebay. If you're patient it's a possibility.

Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is what I would do, save your money instead of blowing it on china made crap.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow, that's an awesome deal. I have trouble running up on deals like that. I just entered the Vortex contest and checked out their website, and the sight looks great, plus they're only 149.95 right now. He's not going to be using the AR for combat or anything at this point. As long as it holds zero and can be relied upon to turn on every time he needs it, it should be fine. I'm still listening to you guys so if you have any other suggestions keep them coming. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Isnt this the second time you asked this, like, this week?

Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Poll Fail, another +1 on the Vortex Strikefire, I have one and am pleased, re: the others, I dont own them, so no comment.
(ETA: I voted other)
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I own many Vortex products. Something from all the scope lines, and a pair of Viper binocs. Unreal warranty. Lifetime, and it follows the scope.

I enjoy my strikefire on one of my ar's. Hands down a good deal. Call em up and ask for Shamus or Sam.

Doesn't hurt that their office is 20 minutes from my house!

Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but how do you know you didn't get a knockoff? There's TONS of them on ebay right now.

Link Posted: 2/18/2010 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Several weeks ago, Midway USA was running a sale on the Aimpoint 9000 for around $230, IIRC - Not sure if the sale is still in effect.

Seems like they have the same sale about twice a year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the info guys. Oh, and Chris. This is the second time, but in a different way. I may ask it a third time, this week, if I think I need too. So far this is still a free country.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#30]
tag until my budget allows a high end red dot.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several weeks ago, Midway USA was running a sale on the Aimpoint 9000 for around $230, IIRC - Not sure if the sale is still in effect.

they have the 9000sc in black going for $280 this month.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I think I'm really leaning towards the Vortex.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#33]
None.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#34]
How good is the field of view on the Vortex Strikefire, I guess compared to other similar sights? For owners of this sight, I have read some reviews that state that the dot isn't perfectly circular, but of course that could be like the Eotech astigmatism problem. Does it co-witness with the irons, and if so, which of the mounts should I order for true co-witnessing? He has standard height MI rear and YHM front buis. Thanks. I really want to get him a sight before next weekend so we can shoot a little bit. Almost picked up an Eotech 512 at Palmetto yesterday but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on it, since I have one bill that may be a hundred bucks or so different this month. I plan on showing him how to do a trigger job before heading out as well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Tag, to try to get answers to these last couple of questions. There are a couple that I could ask directly since they are technical. I could call the company but no matter their integrity, there is money involved and I don't know them well enough to trust them. I'm sure they're good people. I want to thank you guys for your responses so far.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#36]
The Bushnell TRS-25 is getting some great reviews in the AK section's Optics forum.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm pretty happy with my Bushnell Trophy MP for my plinker, but if I had to go back and do it, I would have saved up and just bought an Aimpoint ML2.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Check this one out.  I have one and it works well for my use.Also a site sponsor
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#39]
I picked up a BSA PMRS red dot sight from bass proshops for $80 and mounted it on my MSAR
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

^
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#41]
I called and talked to Tim. He was very informative and answered all of my questions. I think I will be going this route. Who do you guys suggest I purchase this from? I order a lot of stuff from midway, but he mentioned Optics Planet and they have free shipping.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not the answer you probably want to hear but save your money. .

Yup. Save your money.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Vortex Strikefire
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Ultra dot

http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Ultra-Dot-1-Black__UD1B.aspx

They're poo-poo'ed around here because they aren't tacticool... but go to a bullseye event (Camp Perry, for example) look down the line and you will see (almost) nothing but ultra dots.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Who do you guys suggest I purchase this from? I order a lot of stuff from midway, but he mentioned Optics Planet and they have free shipping.

Get it from B&H Photo - same price as Optics Planet, free shipping, plus you get a free $25 gift card, which you can use towards the killflash filter or spare batteries.

I've had issues with Optics Planet in the past - I believe they drop ship just about everything, so it takes forever, and returns are a pain.

Link Posted: 2/19/2010 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have the 9000L for $274.  It says the price is good through Feb 28th
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They have the 9000L for $274.  It says the price is good through Feb 28th

That is a really great deal for an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I've been very happy with my Vortex Strikefire. They're also a ARFCOM industry partner, so I tend to try to throw my $$$ their way.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Bushnell TRS-25 is getting some great reviews in the AK section's Optics forum.

I just bought one this week, but have not shot it yet. It looks good though.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I just got the Vortex Strikefire in today and mounted it on my son's ar and sighted it in. I'm really impressed with it for the money. The mount seems solid enough, but if that changes, I can get a better one. the dot is clear and easily visible in the Carolina sun in red or green, though the green is better in the sun in my opinion. It's not an aimpoint, or an eotech, but for our purposes right now, it seems gtg. The 2x thing is kind of cool as a toy, but it may not be very useful other than that. I will have to tell Brandon,( my son), that he must get used to pressing the on/off switch twice, and to check it to be sure it isn't still on every time he puts his rifle in the safe. I think he'll like it. If it holds up, we'll both like it. I want to thank you guys for helping me make my decision. Thanks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top