Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 2/6/2012 7:30:42 AM EDT
I'll be the first to admit that I am not very technologically savvvvvvy.  I read a lot of books and realized I can get Kindle on this new smart phone thingy I got.  I've read a few now and I was curious if there was a way to trade books with people or do you need to purchase each book.  I was also curious if you got a book such as a biography, do the photos show up on Kindle, or is it 100% text.  

BTW just read Howard Wasdin's book on Kindle and it was probably the first book since Lone Survivor that I was actually pissed it was over.  One of those books that you just wish went on forever.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#1]
you can loan a kindle book out for I think 14 days but I don't think their is a trade option. You can also rent books from some public libraries.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I am not a big book reader but I have to be honest I expect that the digital book is certainly the future and I have been considering a kindle.  I am just not sure if I want the ipad instead.  Reading an ebook on my iphone sucks!

I emailed a manuscript to a friend to critique.  He uses his phone for
such things.  He opened the email and then the document while I was
standing there, and I couldn't even tell it was text, the little black
marks was so small!  I suspect I'd need a kindle the size of a big screen TV.

In fact, I'm using a 32" LCD as a monitor because my old 20" CRT was too small for me to read webpages on.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The Kindle on my Android converts the text so the text size is the same size as a book you would be reading.  When you scroll it just flips to another page.  It's actually a very nice idea and makes things a lot easier for me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
If the book has the lending option turned on by the publisher, the official loan period is 14 days, however that is from the time the recipient accepts it(they don't have to accept immediately), Amazon did reach an agreement in 2011 though to let libraries check out/loan their E-books in a similar manner to how they were doing with other ebooks(most notably ones for the Nook), most of the libraries ebook lending programs are run by a service called Overdrive, haven't personally used it yet but I've read it works well.  

Personally I have a kindle.....plus a kindle fire, plus the app on the phone, and the computer.  Most of the books i read on it are cheap or free ones, I've read several hundred through the kindle devices over the last 2 years and could probably count on 2 hands how many i paid more than 5 bucks for, most were either free or 1.99 and under.  The bestsellers that I want I either rent or borrow
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:28:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Kindle Keyboard model.  Yes!  Photos from books do show up, look good and in the model I have are only B&W.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am not a big book reader but I have to be honest I expect that the digital book is certainly the future and I have been considering a kindle.  I am just not sure if I want the ipad instead.  Reading an ebook on my iphone sucks!

ITunes has a free Kindle app so you can read iTunes books as well as Kindle books.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone already told you about the 14 day thing so I figured  I would just chime in and say that I love my kindle and all....

but there is just something about holding a real book in your hands... and the smell... you don't get the smell of a book from the kindle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
There are ways to to de-encrypt the Kindle books...
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:36:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi, I have a Kindle Touch but I never read it !! I set it up through My stereo speakers on my computer and let My Kindle Touch read to Me. As I'm doing other chores ( Obama Depression House Husband, not a bad Gig tho really when You use a Sportster for the down time and the Shenandoah Valley a twist of the throttle away !  LOL ). It came with a free 30 days of Amazon Prime which I  loaded up all kinds of books from for free, plus there are all kinds of free content on-line for the Kindle. Not sure yet which voice I prefer Male or female , but it's funny how some words with duel meanings get red out of context. Just finsihed O'Rielly's Killing Lincoln .......................WVleo
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:43:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I was against e-readers from the start, but I got a kindle fire for christmas and I've been reading the shit out of books on it. They rock for "disposable" media like paperback fiction, periodicals, etc. I also keep some .pdfs on it that I use as reference at work. Downside is that this is my 2nd KF, the original broke a few weeks ago after a 2' fall onto the tile floor even though I had it in a protective case. Amazon sent me a free replacement.

That being said, my walnut-paneled dream library is still comprised of leather-bound books.

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I get a crap-ton of books on my Kindle from the library. It's awesome.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#13]
don't forget to always check pixelofink.com for info on getting books free or at an extermely discounted price.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
just got a kindle today...the cheap one for $79. I was at Target with my wife and said what the hell....I can save a few bucks on each book by getting the electronic version. I can also use the books my wife bought using her Ipad.

The $79 verson is great, super light and very easy on the eyes....like a real book.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I really like the kindle didnt think I would. I'm on my second touch right now as my other one went bad. I just called amazon and said what happend they sent out a new one.

If you read a lot and want some free books go their Kindle Author page on Facebook you can get a lot of free books and some great titles. I tink I download 20 or more a day from there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are ways to to de-encrypt the Kindle books...

Welcome to the year 2000, eh?  

And yes, you're correct.  There are several EASY ways, but the best is to buy a shareware program (not naming it here) that does it quickly and without a hitch.  Google, it's your friend people.

And Calibre is excellent for converting different ebook versions so they'll work on your Kindle.  I love this thing!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:12:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 5:48:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hi, I have a Kindle Touch but I never read it !! I set it up through My stereo speakers on my computer and let My Kindle Touch read to Me. As I'm doing other chores ( Obama Depression House Husband, not a bad Gig tho really when You use a Sportster for the down time and the Shenandoah Valley a twist of the throttle away !  LOL ). It came with a free 30 days of Amazon Prime which I  loaded up all kinds of books from for free, plus there are all kinds of free content on-line for the Kindle. Not sure yet which voice I prefer Male or female , but it's funny how some words with duel meanings get red out of context. Just finsihed O'Rielly's Killing Lincoln .......................WVleo

Download kinle for your computer and you can transfer books between your comp and the kindle.

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top