Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 11/16/2011 5:58:14 PM EDT
Got any good ones you can recommend?
I just finished "Boneshaker" by Cherie Priest and it was pretty good, I will check out the next book in the series soon.
I really liked "Peshawar Lancers" and the short story spin-off by S.M. Stirling
"Fitzpatrick's War" by Theodore Judson is an excellent book

Ok, your turn...I want some crazy steam engines and airships, along with outlandish guns and optics!
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Although it's kept in the Young Adult section, I thought Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld had a cool alternate history steampunk world.  

I've avoided the Cherie Priest stuff so far, mostly because Boneshaker looks pretty mom-centric in it's plot.  Is it any good?
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#2]
You are correct in your assumption, it is worth buying if you find it at half-price... It doesn't get very technical and the airships get glossed over. Hell, even the zombies don't get very good descriptions... The second book is about an air pirate that has a supporting role in boneshaker.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you read Hard Magic and its newly-released sequel Spellbound by Larry Correia?  It's not exactly Steampunk, but there are airships and outlandish (though based in reality) guns.  Plus, Larry is a member here.  The final action piece in Hard Magic occurs on a giant Japanese airship with teleporting ninjas and goes for about 50 pages of balls-out action.

I tend to avoid a lot of Steampunk stuff.  I love the setting, but too often the authors like to put in too much "punk" and not enough "steam."
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]
It's definitely on my list, I've read all of his other books and am a big fan. I agree that it's hard to find good books in this genre. I want something politically incorrect and badass, not Victorian cosplay...

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dead-iron-devon-monk/1100481491?ean=9781101516461&itm=26&usri=dead
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
"The Difference Engine" by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks,
I've added them to my list on amazon.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
This is relevant to my interests.  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
This site has a list of top steampunk novels, and has some reviews as well.

I've read both Perdido Street Station by China Mieville and Soulless by Gail Carriger (which is the first in a series) that are on the list. I really wanted to love Perdido Street Station, but by the end of the book - I was just proud to have finished it. Soulless is HILARIOUS. It is a lot more romance than I like to read but the witty one liners more than make up for it. I would think it would be more appealing to women then men though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Although it's kept in the Young Adult section, I thought Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld had a cool alternate history steampunk world.

+1 for Leviathan

I started this one today and it has been outstanding.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#12]
For a series to avoid, I'd recommend against George Mann's "The Immorality Engine" and related books.  Dull, and none of the "steam tech" made any sense.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 3:46:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I picked up Souless and Leviathan yesterday. As soon as I finish one of the three books I'm currently reading, I'll get started, lol.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 4:41:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Just finished Scott Westerfield's Leviathan Series. It was a nice take on an alternate World War One timeline. It does however have a few gay and lesbian moments which did not need to be there. Not sure why he put those in actually from what I read Scott is straight and married.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Really, WTF? It's aimed at the high school demographic as well. I don't mind that kind if stuff, unless it is obviously added as an afterthought to get attention.

Link Posted: 1/22/2012 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Just finished reading Leviathan, I thought it was a good book, albeit written for younger readers, can't wait to read the rest of the series. I started reading Souless last night, it's interesting so far.

This thread has potential...
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've read both Perdido Street Station by China Mieville and Soulless by Gail Carriger (which is the first in a series) that are on the list. I really wanted to love Perdido Street Station, but by the end of the book - I was just proud to have finished it. Soulless is HILARIOUS. It is a lot more romance than I like to read but the witty one liners more than make up for it. I would think it would be more appealing to women then men though.

I just ordered a copy of Fitzpatrick's War.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just ordered a copy of Fitzpatrick's War.

You won't be disappointed, its a great book!

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm biased toward Hard Magic and Spellbound, but those are really more "diesel punk".

Me and John Ringo are collaborating on a post apocoyptic steampunk series right now. It won't be out for a while, but it should be awesome. :)
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#20]
That sounds bad ass! Keep us updated....

Link Posted: 1/30/2012 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm biased toward Hard Magic and Spellbound, but those are really more "diesel punk".

Me and John Ringo are collaborating on a post apocoyptic steampunk series right now. It won't be out for a while, but it should be awesome. :)

ohh please ohh please ohh please!!!!

Link Posted: 2/29/2012 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Because I found it new for half price, I picked up a copy of Adrian Tchaikovsky's Empire in Black and Gold a couple of days ago.  It's got airships, emerging automotive technology, early firearms, and some of the regions of the world are at the peak of an industrial revolution.  It also has a pretty good pace, a really well imagined world, interesting characters, and an interesting plot.  The human/insect hybrids being what the human race has changed into was something I was a little worried about.  I was concerned that it might come off as gimmicky or a bit like a one trick pony, or that the author would focus way too much on it and not on the actualy story and characters.  I'm about 150 pages in and my fears were wasted.  Unless something drastic happens in the next 300 pages, I have no problem recomending this book.  It's got the steampunk with the focus being elsewhere than the "punk."  My only problem with it is that, like so many other books in this thread (and genre for some reason) it's in that bullshit larger format that costs me a good $5-10 more than a regular paperback size, depending on where you buy it.  And considering that the author has pumped out six or seven volumes in this series since 2010 with a projected 10 volumes in all, getting into this series in this format is a substantial undertaking financially from a book-buying standpoint.  

Hopefully reading through these will keep me busy until Larry Correia's next book comes out in, what, September?

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top