Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2012 7:29:33 PM EDT
I got an invitation to attend a webinar on purchasing aircraft, sponsered by AOPA. I'm not really in the market for a plane, but if I bought one, it would probably be a Cherokee Six.  Would it be prudent to lease it back to my flying club? I've heard arguements for and against. What has been the experience here?

Mike F
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
As one airplane broker put it to me, "why don't you just go ahead and pay me $20,000 and let me kick you in the balls and get it over with quickly?"
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
If they made money, the places begging you to lease back would have done it themselves. Its a scam to put it lightly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 4:33:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If they made money, the places begging you to lease back would have done it themselves. Its a scam to put it lightly.

Run far far away from anyone talking to you about a leaseback!  I have never seen one of these turn out well in many years.

Link Posted: 2/28/2012 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Leasebacks make money for the NON-owner of the plane. All you'll get is the maintenance costs, the mortgage payment (you WON'T make enough to cover it), the loss of use of YOUR plane whenever you want it (you'll have to RENT it, albeit at a lower cost- maybe).

Should I continue or is that enough to make you say 'NO EFFING WAY!"?
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Run far far away from anyone talking to you about a leaseback!  I have never seen one of these turn out well in many years.

Listen to this advice. It's the truth.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Whenever I think I want a cool toy, I always ponder to see if it fits into the F's.

If it:  flys, floats, fucks, or goes Fast........it is going to cost you more $ than it is worth.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whenever I think I want a cool toy, I always ponder to see if it fits into the F's.

If it:  flys, floats, fucks, or goes Fast........it is going to cost you more $ than it is worth.

...and generally better to rent it!

Link Posted: 2/28/2012 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Long answer: Nope.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Your insurance will be a LOT higher if it's being used for instruction.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Take the key you were going to give to them and A) lock the door, and B) throw it in the trash. Use your key to fly your airplane whenever you want to.

Let those lease back guys buy their own airplane instead of you paying them to borrow yours.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#12]
It is NOT the exception to the "If it sounds too good to be true..." rule.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#13]
So just so I understand, you guys are saying this is a bad idea?

Hehehehe. Thanks for all of the replies.

Mike

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top