Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2012 7:33:28 AM EDT

Ohh yeah, MITO.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Bad...ass...  

American Air Power!   Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Watching FB-111s close interval launch when I was in SAC was one of the most awesome spectacles ever witnessed.  When I lived in base housing, I hated hearing the klaxon go off.  The wind would bring the smoke right to us every time.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Neat.

Also much more impressive than a MITO for C-5s.  One jet one Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Neat.

Also much more impressive than a MITO for C-5s.  One jet one Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#7]
We launched birds off the Nimitz faster than that.

Seriously, that was impressive for those BUFFs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Giant shotgun shell of gas, pressurizing a turbine directly connected to a bunch of reduction gears to start a jet turbine. Love it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I missing alerts and launching multi-ship sorties.  It was a lot of work but it put a smile on the face ever time.  30 minutes or less, and it had better be less, from beeper to wheels up was quite a ride.  Finding out it was just a drill got old.....fast.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Rats, can't find my quick start mask.. RUN!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#12]
The first Elephant Walk  I ever saw was @ Dyess back in '82.  SAC still had B-52D's & A model tankers with the water injection.
I always got the warm fuzzies & a funny tingle in My pants every time.  

I took it for granted & would give a lot to see it one more time.

The Ol' Crew  Chief
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Friend of mine was a B 52 crew chief around the years of Viet days. I love to talk to him but all he wants to talk about is P51s.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]
One of my favorite memories of my first year in the Air Force was when I was posted at the end of the runway, walking the gap to the alert area, and watching as the sun came up (I was on Mid shifts) and a bunch of B-52's and KC-135's (G Models & A Models w/Water in injection) would taxi by and then all take off one after the other and all that black smoke would fill the sky. .......... I will also never forget that smell.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I never get tired of that video. Been making the rounds for a while now, but I can literally watch it everyday. Ahh the good ol TF33, the turbine version of a two stroke!

And last but not least. An aviation fanatics version of a famous movie line: There is nothing like the smell of jet exaust in the morning, smells like "Victory"!
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I never get tired of that video. Been making the rounds for a while now, but I can literally watch it everyday. Ahh the good ol TF33, the turbine version of a two stroke!

And last but not least. An aviation fanatics version of a famous movie line: There is nothing like the smell of jet exaust in the morning, smells like "Victory"!

TF33's didn't use water injection, IIRC.. Those are all older b52's with the older turbojets.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Guess those folks never heard of the wake turbulence separation the FAA uses...    

That must be amazing to see in person.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They all take a slightly different heading after take off.  You can see it in one of the videos.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They all take a slightly different heading after take off.  You can see it in one of the videos.

That's so the flight crews can breathe see.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#20]
thats one of my fav aviation vid's at one point there is a plane lifting off, another mid roll out and a third hammering down starting the roll out!

man they get the engines started so friggin fast its like they have remote start, LOL

J-
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I saw that, I was talking about the 2 minute and 3 minute rules...

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 1:10:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TF33's didn't use water injection, IIRC.. Those are all older b52's with the older turbojets.

I'm a current engine troop on the BUFF.

You're correct the TF33 does not use water injection
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bummer they can't re-engine them with something like the turbines off of the  777 or A380 :)
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bummer they can't re-engine them with something like the turbines off of the  777 or A380 :)

Boeing offered to hang four RB211's on them, but the Air Force is bad at math, and decided that fuel prices would probably stay constant, or go down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top